PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
On August 4, the U.S. Coast Guard celebrates its 229th Birthday, tracing its founding to Aug. 4, 1790 when the Revenue Cutter Service was created.

The smallest of the military services with about 48,000 officers and enlisted, the motto is Semper Paratus - Alway Ready (or Always Prepared) when it's motto should be Simply Forgotus when it comes to funding.
Here's a link to an interesting article about one Coast Guard cutter. https://www.latimes.com/world-natio...WymTVdCH9dl7gsoQ39jIpiYLUNiyeSSZG-z-8i7WviX1I

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
I developed deep respect for the Coast Guard while working as a deckhand commercial fishing in the Bering Sea. Happy Birthday Coast Guard!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Hail to the Coasties, as the Navy called them in 'Nam, where they also provided coastal patrols. I've seen Coast Guard rescue swimmers in action, swimming out in currents between the shore and a sand spit island that, it turned out, drowned a man. They made it, searched the spit for him, and swam back. I wouldn't have gone wading. It was nasty like whitewater on a river.

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
Semper Paratus! Definitely a group of unsung heroes.
If you've ever been out on the water with a problem, you realize how great it is just having a Coast Guard station checking in on you every 15 minutes via radio just to make sure you're ok.
Not to mention coming out to save your "bacon" when things go really wrong.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
While I was away in the army, my parents became members of the Coast Guard Auxiliary.
Being in Baltimore, we always had a boat and spent many weekends of my childhood crabbing and fishing on the Chesapeake and its tributaries.
My dad was quite the water man before he got old and wobbly.
They would conduct courtesy safety inspections of vessels, conduct emergency search and rescue drills and provide light assistance to the area Coast Guard.
They assisted in crowd control when large flotilla functions entered the Baltimore Inner Harbor, for instance, and helped keep clueless boaters out of the impact area during the Independence Day firing of fireworks over the water.
There are many unpaid and dedicated citizens also contributing to the security and safety of our coastal waterways.
jay-roger.jpg

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
"Low bridge!" A toast to the "shallow water sailors". One of my old sergeants ran an landing craft (LCM?) in and out of Utah Beach. "Low bridge", would get his panties in a bunch. He heard it often and with affection. Happy Birthday Coasties!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Link above didn't work, but here's a short video of our CG at work: LINK to video
A great organization, saving thousand of lives and vessels each year. No matter what ocean or sea I am near, I always am hearing of numbskulls displaying a whopping lack of seamanship, putting themselves and others at risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.