PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

doctoryes

Lurker
Mar 5, 2019
Hi all!

Long time lurker, first time poster! So, I’m trying to figure out what to do about getting too good of a deal on a pipe. Recently I acquired a very large R Barbi pipe for cheap because the seller wasn’t looking in the right spot for the stamping to take a pic of it, even though he knew it was a barbi. The pic he got appears to be grading and year. I got the pipe and can clearly make out the stamping and can even take pics and have it show up. He just wasn’t looking in the right place and mistakenly said it was almost bugged off. Because of the price, I feel really bad about the purchase. Any thoughts or advice?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Yes. Post photos so we can share in your grief!
Once your photos are on a photo hosting site (such as Imgur.com; Postimage; Dropbox, etc. Photobucket), or on virtually any site, including this site's album such as eBay, Amazon, you-name-it, select the full sized image, then Control-click (Mac) or Right-click (Windows) on the image itself, then choose "copy image location" or similar words. Now paste that URL (the full web address, which should end in .jpg or .png) into the IMG box in the reply window of the thread you're posting to.
The site's album is also a good choice for displaying photos, and the same method works for obtaining the image's URL for copying into the IMG box.
There are other good illustrations and steps on how to post photos in the "Latest Discussions" box,

LINK to that thread

doctoryes

Lurker
Mar 5, 2019
I can post the eBay listing if that is allowed, and then the picture of the stamping that I took. Is that ok?

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
When buying and selling remember this...... you're either the bug or the windshield. Enjoy the pipe. I don't worry if I get a good deal.

So much of guilt... is just you. People do stupid stuff because of guilt. Like a woman who sleeps with a married man, goes to apologize to his wife who doesn't want to hear her shit. Or, going to this guy and apologizing, which will only bring up harder feelings from him, which may have not been there in the beginning.
You feel guilt because of an imagined slight. That guy is probably just happy that he no longer has to deal with that damned pipe, and he is on to bigger fishes to fry.
Leave it alone, and get over the whole guilty feeling bullshit. People apologizing for stupid stuff is really just going to cause more problems than it solves, and no one is going to appreciate your feelings the same way you do.
If you came back to tell me that you felt bad for getting one over on me. I'd probably just tell you to get over yourself.'
Live right on the first go around to avoid guilt. Be nice, tip heftily, and overpay to show off your strength. And, screw the little people. Lions never worry about the opinions of sheep. :puffy:

doctoryes

Lurker
Mar 5, 2019

Hopefully these show up! Just took a few quick pics!
Edit. Sigh. They didn’t. I will post and correct shortly.
Hopefully this works...
l2AtFOv.jpg

Rp7gVd6.jpg

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Here's my 2¢. It really depends on what your personal values are. Here's my example. Last year, a member here offered me an old Barling that he decided to sell and sent me pictures of it. It was a Barling bent pipe from 1906, no Barling's Make stamp, but the EB over WB sterling makers mark were clear on the silver band. I know a bit about market values and made him what I thought was a fair, in not generous, offer for the pipe and he accepted it.
The pipe arrived from England about a week later. Boy, was I surprised. Not only was it in better shape than the pictures indicated, it was a huge pipe! Even better, it's one of the best smoking pipes I've ever owned. Something in the way that chamber is shaped produces very pronounced flavors in just about any blend that I smoke in it. If I had to get rid of every other pipe in my collection, this would be the one pipe I'd keep.
And I had to admit that I'd gotten a great deal, a steal deal. And I also knew that the seller was hoping to get more, but had accepted my initial offer.
And this goes back to how do I want to show up in life. Like I wrote at the beginning, it depends on what your personal values are. I don't like getting screwed over and I don't screw over others. And I know all the BS about business is business, and a deal is a deal. I've been a self supporting independent for a long long time and don't own any rose colored glasses. This felt different to me.
So I made a decision and sent the seller what I considered to be a fair adjustment for what I had received from him, which was about an additional 50% more than the initial payment. I still got an exceptional bargain and he got some extra Christmas money and a very pleasant and unexpected surprise, and I did something that felt internally right for me.

Jan 8, 2013
I wouldn't worry about it. The stamping is over-buffed and no longer crisp. It appears the stem has been buffed while off the shank and over-buffed where it meets the shank because of it, resulting in a round off of the edges so it no longer fits perfectly flush. Chalk it up to a great deal on a great pipe. And it is indeed a lovely pipe. Congratulations, and enjoy the heck out of it :clap:

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
You found out the pipe was more valuable only once you got it? Is that right?
If so, you have done absolutely nothing unethical IMO. No need for any guilt.

Sable's scenariois better than most that I have seen happen. All too often what happens is that someone comes back and asks, "how can I make this terrible thing that I feel guilty about better?" And, I had no idea that it was something worth someone feeling guilty over. Then I feel obligated to say, "just forget about it." And, then they go on and apologize and shove a token $100 bill in my hand. And, then I feel infuriated over an incident with a moron who made me feel terrible over something they initially felt guilty over, and every time I see them I think, "screw that asshole."
If it makes you feel better, skip the dialog and just give them money. But, honestly, I bet you are the only one feeling any remorse over the deal.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I still got an exceptional bargain and he got some extra Christmas money and a very pleasant and unexpected surprise, and I did something that felt internally right for me.
I'm betting the actions on your part were painless. Good on you! :worship: There's the "right thing" to do then, there is the "classy" or "correct" thing to do.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
NOT ebay. Fuck Ebay.
Oh well... true that. $400 for 12 pipes including a mint Barling straightgrain, two Comoy's Blue Ribands, four or five Sasieni 8 dots, 2 Sasieni 4 dots, one no-name and one KBB Rivoli. No problems with that. I do occasionally contact a seller when I think he's screwing himself by how he's posted, but if he's ignored my suggestion and I score the pipe for nickels, no problem. I got my first Barling quaint for $80 because the guy listing it was self destructively stubborn. That's different.

Civil War

Lifer
Mar 6, 2018
I've bought enough pipes that were far worse than I expected, and essentially went into the trash once I inspected them. They weren't worth the hassle of trying to get a refund. So when I get a good deal, I figure that's the scales balancing themselves out.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Sable nailed it. Cosmic's comment on doing it right from the get go is spot on too.
Feel guilty only if you knew in advance and chose to kept silent in order to profit from the deal. That is unethical.
If you didn't see the pics and found out afterwards, there was no malicious intention; you're OK.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Over the years I have gotten some great deals on ebay and never once felt guilty. If a seller doesn't know what a pipe is worth, I am not going to tell them.
Jesse's scenario is totally different. Taking advantage of a member at this site is not how we roll. Jesse is a class act so he of course did the right thing.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
That's like the time I was walking around a antique street fair and this guy had 3 grungy pipes in a coffee mug. I asked he he said I could have the bulldog one for $3.00.

Once I cleaned it up, I learned it was indeed a bulldog - a Savinelli Giubileo d'Oro from the 1970s and worth way more than three bucks.
I didn't track him down to give him more money and I haven't felt guilty about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.