PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokey422

Can't Leave
Nov 20, 2011
During our move this summer I managed to lose my custom engraved Zippo lighter, which I had used for many years. I ordered a new Zippo pipe lighter and it arrived today. I filled it with fluid, flicked the wheel and it fired up immediately, like everyone I've ever had. I think the Zippo lighter is an American icon: they're still made here, they have a lifetime warranty (which I've never had to use), and you can get one for under $20. I wish there were more American made products this reliable and price competitive. I've had Old Boys, Bentleys, and a couple of others, which were all good but not as reliable outdoors or as dependable as my Zippo. It's no wonder Zippos have so many fans!

Smokey

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
Too bad they run out of fluid quickly, I wouldn't use any other kind of lighter for my pipes.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
I found a Zippo in Malta, in the ocean, crusted & a piece of crap. Sent it to Zippo (in 1962) & they sent me a new one.

Like Cross pens, they stand behind what they sell. Have 4 or more, My go to. Cigars & pipes. No fuel taste anywhere.

jwp159

Can't Leave
Jan 1, 2010
I'm a big Zippo fan. I would be lost with out it in my pocket, just like my jack knife I'm not dressed without it with me. They are dependable, I have used the same one for 14 years now.

jsiddle

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 24, 2012
I need to get one...
Any recommendations on the fuel to use or any aftermarket parts?

skysail

Might Stick Around
Sep 16, 2012
Can you buy any zippo case with the pipe insert? Thats what I'm trying to figure out. Id like a brass, or orange one.

jwp159

Can't Leave
Jan 1, 2010
I use Zippo brand flints and wicks. I try to use the Zippo brand fluid as it seems to burn a little cleaner than the other brand. You can contact Zippo at 814.366.2700 to see if you can get the pipe insert with any case.

peteross

Might Stick Around
Oct 9, 2012
Salida, CA
@ js

I love Zippo. I refill the standard insert only with Zippo fluid.

I recently got the Thunderbird butane pipe insert made by Vector. A lot of pros: Made in USA, lifetime warranty, butane doesn't evaporate during non use, and it doesn't smell like a Zippo (if that's a pro).

fireman03

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 3, 2012
Do you taste the lighter fluid when lighting. Using a Zippo to light a cigar is not recommended, but it's ok for pipes???

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
Can you buy any zippo case with the pipe insert? Thats what I'm trying to figure out. Id like a brass, or orange one.
You can take any standard Zippo, new or used, and send it to them for a conversion to pipe lighter. So, buy what you want and send it in for a pipe insert.
I don't get any taste from the fluid except occasionally indoors. In that case, if you remember to just let it burn a few seconds before lighting the pipe you should have no issues.

peteross

Might Stick Around
Oct 9, 2012
Salida, CA
Some smokers do swear they can taste the lighter fluid. I can't tell the difference but perhaps my taste buds are ruined.

The flame isn't quite hot enough to get a good, quick ember on a cigar.

joshwolftree

Part of the Furniture Now
I love my Zippo...If you can't get the case you want with the insert, you can get the pipe insert and swap them. I do know they used to have a solid brass pipe lighter case, it was just solid polished glass with the black calabash logo they generally use to designate zippo pipe lighters in the cases at shops. I know this because I had one that I loved... I have since lost that particular lighter...I however recently bought a silver case with the zippo insert and swapped the insert into a dancing girl case I recieved as a gift from my old roommate.
Use the Zippo Premium fuel and let it burn a second or two before touching off the tobacco. This will help manage flavor bastardization.
and be carefull my grandad left me the Ship zippo's from all the naval vessels he was on. once you start getting the styled instead of plain ones you will end up with LAD

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
The only thing other than matches that I use... I currently have 3, one has a pipe on the bottom corner, one has a wolf and is custom engraved and the third has the presidential seal on it.
I love 'em!

arinbjorn

Might Stick Around
Sep 14, 2011
Putting a thin layer of vaseline on the insert will stop a lot of Zippo fluid evaporation. Gets a better seal between the insert and the inside walls of the case.
Zippo refurbished my grandfather's zippo - and sent me a pipe insert for it - all for free! Good American company.

crazypipe

Lifer
Sep 23, 2012
Works everytime ,it's the only lighter i use.

th_Lighter_zps89fd977e.gif

jjmitchem

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 30, 2012
I have an old Army Zippo that I have carried forever but I use a torch for my cigars. Well since being introduced now to pipes I plan on using my zippo more frequently so I contacted them about getting the pipe insert - they responded within a day and said they would send one to me at no cost
Great company and I am guessing my address being an Army Post probably prompted the direct mailing of it, they are awesome military supporters
-Chappy

Status
Not open for further replies.