PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

macattack

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 20, 2012
Love my Zippos. I have one with the pipe chimney and a Zippo Blu for cigars. Neither have failed me.

colcolt

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
I've seldom ever used anything but a Zippo. I even started collecting them at one point but lost two of my favorites(one was stolen) and I kind of lost heart after that but I still have about 6-7 plus the one that's for pipes only. An American icon ideed-just like John Wayne and apple pie.

kennerth

Can't Leave
Jul 30, 2011
I love my Zippo as well. I always have a Ronson Jetlight as part of my EDC. Since Zippo bought Ronson, I feel like I am keeping it in the family!

garyovich

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 22, 2012
harris, I've never seen one that does. I semi-collect them, have between 50 and 60 ranging from 1940s to present.

juvat270

Aug 1, 2011
I guess I'll be the lone dissenter. :twisted:
I'm not a fan of Zippos. I've owned a few through my years of tobacco use but just never warmed up to them. They're cheap and they work, but in my own personal opinion, they're kinda overhyped. When I smoked cigarettes I preferred a Bic lighter. For pipes, I'll stick with my IM Corona Old Boy.

tomsmithusa

Might Stick Around
Oct 11, 2012
Southern Oregon
arinbjorn -- Putting a thin layer of vaseline on the insert will stop a lot of Zippo fluid evaporation. Gets a better seal between the insert and the inside walls of the case.

. . .
I am trying this now, since yesterday. If this works, you have my eternal thankfulness. Reaching for a lighter than is dry after only a couple days is frustrating. What a great idea. Thank you for posting.
I dabbed a little on as I refilled a couple lighters for lighting Halloween pumpkins.
I love Zippos, and love matches, too. To get a match to stay lit in the wind is a bit of an art, and then brushing it over a bowl of tobacco for an even light is a pleasure.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Gary, thanks. I guess because of how they are designed they can not be fitted with one. When I was a teenager I loved my zippo's, but for a pipe, I do not care for them. I find the flame to be too large and unwieldy, and I have better control over my soft flame butane lighters. I am very conscious of scorching my rim so I feel more comfortable with my Old Boy and Lotus, or even matches.

Aug 14, 2012
I love Zippos. You can light a smoke on a moving motorcycle. Something I have not been able to do for 30 years. Darned government requires a driver's license, & I don't like to wait in lines.There is a lighter taste though, but only for the first few drags.

bobpnm

Lifer
Jul 24, 2012
Panama City, Florida
I carry a brass Zippo engraved with my grandfather's initials. He passed it along to my father. My father passed it along me. It will someday be in my son's pocket. That lighter has been around the world. It is more than a lighter. It represents my family's heritage. It is my constant companion. My link to the fine men whose legacy of faith, family and service are my guiding principles. I hope that when my son carries it, he will hold me in the same regard. My hope for him is that it will bring him the same sense of peace and clarity. - bob

colcolt

Jun 11, 2012
I don't use one for a pipe even though I have that model. It's used mostly for cigs. When I was in Germany we use to take those little "flippies" as we called them-red rubber seals around beer tops, and put a couple around the body of our Zippos. It made for better handling(we thought)

tomsmithusa

Might Stick Around
Oct 11, 2012
Southern Oregon
arinbjorn – “Putting a thin layer of vaseline on the insert will stop a lot of Zippo fluid evaporation. Gets a better seal between the insert and the inside walls of the case. . . .”
I am on day six of trying this on two Zippos, and both lighters are still going. This is a great tip. Without doing this the lighters would last 2-3 days whether I used them or not. Also, after filling a Zippo, if I put it in my pocket, the fluid would leak a bit and burn my skin. I noticed no leakage this last time.
This is a great tip – thank you. THIS IS A GREAT TIP.

tomsmithusa

Might Stick Around
Oct 11, 2012
Southern Oregon
TRUE AMERICAN:
foggymountain -- I love Zippos. You can light a smoke on a moving motorcycle. Something I have not been able to do for 30 years. Darned government requires a driver's license, & I don't like to wait in lines.There is a lighter taste though, but only for the first few drags.
:)

colcolt

Jun 11, 2012
I just happened to remember I had this one...Gunny would be proud.
_DEF3658.jpg

colcolt

Jun 11, 2012
...and, it's Gunny approved. I think Private Pyle once had one.
tumblr_m9dsrimDPP1qij8k6_zpsf3d3252b.jpg

fireman03

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 3, 2012
Got my pipe inserts yesterday for 2 zippos I had lying around. For free, zippo will send give you a pipe insert for every regular insert you mail to them. They also return the regular insert with the pipe inserts. It cost me a little over a buck to mail the inserts and I got everything back in about 2 weeks. Great company. MADE IN THE USA and lifetime warranty.
The pipe insert works great. My fear of tasting the lighter fluid were unwarranted. I still prefer to do the initial lighting via match (Maya Cerillos, of course) and then move to the zippo for relights.
My zippos were going unused and I have no idea they could be used for pipes. It's like an early Christmas present! :puffy:

metarzan

Nov 14, 2012
I was concerned about the zippo fluid taste as well... but looks like I need another ritual... and should be easy to drop a holiday clue... will remember the vaseline tip... hey a zippo would put my next order into the free shipping range... this forum sure makes it tough to sit through work without a smoke all day...

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
I suspect that many here are like myself. I'm the third (maybe 4th) generation to own Zippos in my family. Every military man owned one when I was active duty.
I've owned many Zippo's over the years. Some were lost, some grew legs but none ever broke.

lifesizehobbit

Oct 23, 2015
My wife gave me the Pipe Zippo for Christmas (matte black w/Pipe logo). I just ordered a custom design ( imaged with one of my own photos); it will have the standard insert as it will be for EDC. As mentioned above, it's just as needed as a pocket knife.

Status
Not open for further replies.