PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonahtke

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2012
About a year ago I transitioned from a work from home job to my current position with our city government IT dept. This change got me more active, and eleminated my ability to snack all day. Needless to say I started losing weight, since then I've lost 40 pounds and 4 inches off my waist. This all leads to today and this post. My family and I have decided to take walks in the evening to keep me healthy and get my wife in shape as well. We went three miles tonight and I smoked my pipe the whole way. It was great.

martiniman

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 6, 2012
you must be in pretty good shape to smoke while walking.

You might want to pick up the pace to where you can hold a conversation but breathe a bit harder.
Congrats, Keep up the good fight.

jonahtke

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2012
Gotta keep pace slow. Was born with bad hips, the pipe helps it feel more like leisure and distracts from the discomfort.

irishsmoker

Lifer
Feb 14, 2012
Congrats! My fiance gripes because I refuse to stop doing push UPS and sit up even though in two weeks I'm due to have my right leg removed! I simply remark that they can take my leg but they will never take my abs!

jonahtke

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2012
@ irishsmoker: Just shows that you with enough stubborn pride you can overcome anything. Took me a year to relearn how to walk after my right hip was reconstructed. Its certainly not the same aas losing a leg, but I can empathise a bit. Just keep that determination at the forefront of your thoughts and nothing will stop you.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I went from walking 1/2 mile with a cane to running 6 miles a day. It just takes time and determination. You can do it!

tobakenist

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Middle England
Wish I could run but after 3 back ops, no chance, I have been a racing cyclist and mountaineer right up until I was 40 and then a accident at work put pay to that, now at 56 and 11 months I exercise every day, walking, push-ups and a lot of gardening, rest times I smoke my pipe, I still do the occasional mountain walk and get out on a full suspension mountain bike when I get the chance, I couldn't imagine life without having a certain level of fitness, it makes rest times more pleasurable. :puffy:

cajunguy

Jan 22, 2012
Metairie, LA
Awesome job. 40lbs is no easy feat. Congratulations are in order.
A few years ago I topped out around 285 lbs. Finally got down to around 185 and felt fantastic. Unfortunately, an injury is keeping me from working out, so I'm packing on weight again. Hopefully soon I can get back to the weights.
In addition to writing and restoring pipes, I'm also an NSCA Certified Personal Trainer. If you or anyone else need any tips or advice in general, just shoot me a message.
Again, good job.

jonahtke

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2012
@cajunguy thanks for the encouragement. What I really need to get into is swimming...high resistance and Zero impact. Unfortunately finding a pool that isn't full of kids is tough around here.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I hear ya. Swimming is great but I have the same problem as you. Luckily, my local city rec center only charges $50 a year for use of the cardio and weight room. That's a great resource and most towns have something like that.

captainbob

Oct 5, 2010
jonahtke,
For many years, every morning, I have been walking two miles in thirty minutes on my tread-mill while puffing on my first morning pipe (I don't inhale). I must keep in shape in order to ski downhill on expert runs (often while puffing on my pipe). I ski at least 24 days per Winter. On those days I do not walk on the tread-mill!

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

lankfordjl

Sep 29, 2011
Texas
Great job! I started 7 years ago getting into shape. I couldn't run 1/4 mile without dying of breath then. Seven years later, Ive ran 2 full marathons, about 5 half marathons, a 25K trail runs and numerous 5K. It only takes time. I've had lost 45 pounds, but have since gained 15 back cause of work (trying to lose a little now). Lots of cardio was the key to losing weight for me. Stick with it and you'll meet your goals!

bailey331

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2012
jonahtke, 40 pounds is alot to loose. keep up the great work.
I couldn't run 1/4 mile without dying of breath then. Seven years later, Ive ran 2 full marathons, about 5 half marathons, a 25K trail runs and numerous 5K
lankfordji that is a major upgrade from 1/4 mile of death to several 26 mile runs under your belt. Awesome.

treeder13

Might Stick Around
Apr 16, 2012
Very nice :/ I'm stuck at 200 as a teenager I feel bad about it no matter how much I diet and work out I'm stuck here for some reason it bugs the hell out of me >.

Status
Not open for further replies.