PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Cutting all things meat from your diet is a pretty easy way to lose some wieght. It'll get yo uthinking about all the creative ways you'll have to incorporate veggies into your life lol.
Having a sound food education course under your belt helps too.
Eat small meals, but eat like 8 times a day. Gotta feed the oven to lose weight. A lot of diets are short term. If you want to lose wieght you have to make smarter decisions when it comes to what you put in your mouth.

sailortodd

Might Stick Around
Nov 2, 2011
Cutting all things meat from your diet is a pretty easy way to lose some wieght. It'll get yo uthinking about all the creative ways you'll have to incorporate veggies into your life lol.
I'd say cutting meat isn't always the best way to cut weight. Moderating it will help, but even more important is cutting simple sugars from your diet. Cut out soda, candy, pastries, minimize pastas and alcoholic beverages, sub in some good veggies, and incorporate moderate exercise (like OP's walking regimen) and the pounds will melt off. I lost 20 lbs in a month just cutting out almost all carbs from my diet (vegetables and other high fiber items were the only way I took them in).
But most important is definitely having that food education as you mentioned so you can make educated decisions about your eating habits.

kyletheaviator

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 16, 2012
A lot of diets are short term. If you want to lose wieght you have to make smarter decisions when it comes to what you put in your mouth.
A diet is not something you "go on" to loose weight. A diet is what you eat. If you eat candy and cup of noodles all day, that is your diet. Some people chose poor diets and others choose healthy ones. It's tough, because it's a 24/7 thing, but you'll notice a significant difference in the way you feel, both physically and mentally, as well as a significant improvement in self discipline if you choose and stick to a healthy diet. It's not easy but well worth the reward!
Congratulations on the weight loss brother! Someone recommended asics above, but I'm an advocate of the barefoot feel. Even if you don't/can't run, minimalist shoes will help improve your posture and joint problems in no time. Vibrams five fingers or Merell shoes with the vibram's soles are worth the $80-100 you pay for em! Keep up the hard work :D
Edit: I've got something to say for every post on here (almost) but I don't have the time or patients to reply on my phone! If anyone needs advice on diet or exercise, don't estate to ask. I'm a fitness nut! Just remember instant gratifications does not apply here, and it's all about finding what works for you!

wallbright

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 22, 2010
Sounds great brother. I am about to try to get back into shape. I kind of let myself go due to summer school as silly as that sounds but hopefully I can get back into shape just as quickly as I fell out of it haha.

jonahtke

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2012
I am fairly limited to my voices of shoes (often work boots). I had hip surgery when I was 18 and it left me with a 3/4 inch length descrepancy between my legs. So I need a shoe with enough room for my foot and a 3/4 inch lift.

cacooper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 28, 2009
Parker, CO
Greetings,
Fitness is everything. It allows you to do other pursuits. Like pipe smoking!
I'm a 27 year Type 1 diabetic, 10 years using an insulin pump. I bicycle regularly and participate in several American Diabetes Association Tour de Cure events every year to raise money for the cure. I'm a Red Rider, which is someone with diabetes who participates in the event. I'm kind of a celebrity at the Tour. Shame I had to get a life-threatening disease to get some respect. :wink:
Here's a few photos:
The finish line of the 2012 Phoenix Tour de Cure.

cacooper9
[/url][/img]
My wife of 25 years and I at Old Faithful recently.

cacooper9
[/url][/img]
Yours truly enjoying a pipe by the lake in Grand Teton NP.

cacooper9
[/url][/img]
Stay fit anyway you can, so you can enjoy the finer things!
CACooper

billinsfl

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 28, 2010
I used to powerlift for exercise, but now ride a single speed bike to work (22 mi round trip) because I no longer have the time to go to the gym. Riding to work takes the same amount of time as riding the bus, and unless it rains is a nice way to get to work. I
I walk a lot too. Merrell shoes are very good, but if you have problems with your feet like I do (flat feet) a pair of Mephistos will be a blessing. The cost of 'em will make you flinch, but they will outlast all other shoes, and can be rebuilt when needed. Either way, enjoy your walks!

loneredtree

May 27, 2011
Sierra Foothills
I have always done a lot of exercise but was 30 lbs over my age 22 weight. I ate good but a lot. To get my cholesterol down I cut out cheese, processed meat, and only consumed 3 oz of chicken or fish or red meat at a time. Oh yeah, one helping only of 1 cup of carbohydrates. Lost 30 pounds. I can now go up hills better since I am carrying less.
@Cooper: Isn't Yellowstone a great place to bike ride? I did it in October when the elk were active and the aspens had turned. Not as many people either.

waznyf

Apr 24, 2012
Texas
That is great to hear!

Sounds like a blast being able to enjoy a walk every night with a pipe and your family at your side. I commend you for taking the initiative to get in shape.

Cheers!

busyhands94

Might Stick Around
May 29, 2012
Excellent work! It's good to be healthy and in shape! Nicotine also suppresses hunger, that could be used to your advantage! :D

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
Hello all. Congrats on dropping 40 lbs. That's a great achievement.
A few notes on the dietary part of the equation, from a small farmer and natural food advocate with a lot of exposure to AgriBusiness.
As it regards dropping meat from the diet, it is important to note that all meat is not created equal. Dropping processed 'meat' (industrial meat) from the diet would do everyone good. Not only will you cut calories, you will dramatically increase your overall health. Such industrial meat is of dubious quality, often made from sick animals and in some cases consists of scrapings and leftovers from industrial meat production. In other cases, as was recently exposed with the 'pink slime' news, this "meat" consists of God-knows-what. Even things like hot dogs that advertise "100% beef" might surprise you --- more specifically, you might be surprised at what industrial food producers are allowed to call "beef". They have a very strong lobby...
(edited: I'll spare you the details on mass-produced meats such as beef, chicken, and pork and simply recommend wild game as a healthy protein source. I realize obtaining wild game is not easy, and may seem impractical for some readers, but I assure you with a little research and creativity, you can obtain natural meat.)
The real killer in America, however, isn't meat or even the dreaded carbohydrate - it is corn and corn derivatives. It's tough to walk through a modern American super market and find ten items that don't contain corn derivatives. Specifically, high fructose corn syrup is in virtually everything the modern American consumes, with obvious effects on weight. Recent studies suggest that high doses of fructose, which is digested in the liver, ultimately shuts down the body's ability to digest carbohydrates, leading to rapid weight gain and ultimately obesity. Add to this the avalanche of processed food and massive consumption of HFCS drinks, and you have an obesity epidemic. Most processed foods also contain hydrogenated oils, are high in (GMO) soy and canola oils, and things like wood pulp (seriously).
*****In short, the absolute best way to lose weight, even before exercise, is to not eat "foods" developed in a corporate boardroom. Follow that simple advice first and you will see rapid and lasting changes. Add in exercise, even something as simple as walking, and you will see positive, enduring change in your weight and your overall health.

rlunderhill

Can't Leave
Jan 10, 2012
Losing weight is difficult. I started walking everyday. First was for 1 mile. My legs were so sore when I got home I wouldn't walk until the soreness went away. Now I'm up to 4.5 miles a day and no sore legs. The key is to do it everyday without miss. You feel better sleep better and I actually enjoy the walk. Do you know how many babes are out walking and jogging in the morning? I never knew.
I look forward to seeing the regulars now. It's a great way to meet new people. I have diabetes. My numbers have fallen to new low's for me. My body thanks me by showing me actual numbers. Thanks very cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.