PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lindsey

Lurker
Dec 4, 2015
I have used grain alcohol and countless pipe cleaners. COUNTLESS! I have scrubbed and scrubbed some more. It is some better, but I can not purge the latakia taste from this pipe. Is it possible? Any advice is certainly welcome.

Thanks,

lindsey
--------------------------

Thanks for being a member and participating.
Thread title fixed.
Please use your Shift key in body text as well.
Please see rule 9 here along with the rest of the forum rules
Thanks!
- Kevin

--------------------------

freakiefrog

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 26, 2012
Mississippi
#1 - ream the bowl

#2 - fill the bowl with Kosher salt

#3 - drip grain alcohol slowly on the salt

#4 - let it soak for hours change and repeat when the salt get black or dirty looking.
Let it dry for a few day and repeat as needed till the salt is no longer getting dirty.

fordm60

Dec 19, 2014
Why get rid of the smokey goodness that is latakia?
Seriously though freakiefrog salt treatment steps will work. Happy puffing to you!

lindsey

Lurker
Dec 4, 2015
Ozone treatment? Thats a thought. I have a friend in the nuisance wildlife business. He has one. He calls it an ozonater. I borrowed it for my mother in laws car when a dozen eggs fell out of her bag in the floor board and some broke. She didn't know until she smelled it. In summer! I will borrow it and put it in a cooler with the pipe and see what happens. I will try the salt and alcohol treatment first. I smoke 99% Virginias and a few vapers. I just don't care for latakia. I've tried.

Thanks

lindsey

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Walker Pipe Repair offers the ozone treatment. Another approach for neutralizing ghosts is the activated charcoal treatment exorcizing ghosts.
Alcohol and salt treatments do a little, but not much. Hot alcohol flushes using a retort do a better job, but still don't really kill off the ghost. But you can replace one ghost with another by getting rid of as much with alcohol and then smoking something else.
If you want to neutralize a pipe, it's ozone or charcoal.

lindsey

Lurker
Dec 4, 2015
Dark flake scented? Isn't that a G&H. Lakeland? I think I tried a bowl of it one time in the smokingpipes.com walk in store. I have also tried ennerdale flake, and a lot of other G&H offerings in their store. They are not for me. But, they sure smell good in the jar!!

Mar 1, 2014
Personally, I would use Ennerdale.
Seriously though, if you just smoke one thing in it consistently it will take on that flavor.

brudnod

Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
I would have to agree with my learned colleagues. The true ghost remover is ozone. You can cover the taste up a bit with just Bacardi 151 rum and really don't have to use the salt; the alcohol in a couple of cotton balls usually does the trick. Leave it in there for a day and let it dry well. If you have a Peterson or any other pipe with that little drip chamber in the shank, that is a notorious place for unwanted (lat or aro depending on your preference) tastes and darn hard to get out.

lindsey

Lurker
Dec 4, 2015
Thanks for the info. I am giving it the salt treatment now. I feel sure it will come around. The pipe does not seem to be that old. Its a 1/4 bent gbd bulldog. A friend of mine got it with some other things he bought at an estate sale. Its got potential. I think?

Thanks,

lindsey

wilson

Apr 17, 2013
Salt and alcohol (or cotton balls and alcohol). Alternatively, you might try an activated charcoal treatment.
An article from reborn pipes worth reading that includes discussion of alcohol treatments and activated charcoal:

http://rebornpipes.com/tag/using-activated-charcoal-to-sweeten-a-pipe/
and an essay by Mr. Pease on using activated charcoal:

http://www.glpease.com/Articles/Spot.html
Of course, ozone will almost certainly work and if you have access to the equipment . . .

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
Make sure the shank & stem are thoroughly cleaned because I find that's where the ghost hangs out mostly. After I've cleaned the shank & stem real good, I'll smoke about 12 bowls of 5 Brothers in the pipe and that seems to have chased that pesky ghost away.

blackbeard

Sep 13, 2015
If it's a threaded screw in tenon, especially with Dr. Grabow Ajustomatics; the best thing is a q-tip and alcohol. The female threads inside the mortise tend to be harder to clean with just a pipe cleaner. Or, you can always double up two fluffy cleaners which helps. Then, right before the draft hole in some pipes, it seems to open up even wider (someone correct me if wrong here) and can build up quick. When you think you have it clean, give it a little rest, then do it again. Start with bristle or a shank brush, then move to q-tips and fluffy/regular depending on the situation. Has worked for me in cleaning up some nasty pipes, hopefully something in that rant will help.

Status
Not open for further replies.