PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
I have smoked many Va/Per blends and never tasted one like Gawith, Hoggarth & Co. Louisiana Perique Flake. It is so offensive to me I hope to never enter into the realm of any tobacco with this flavor again! What the heck is this distinct flavor in Gawith, Hoggarth & Co. Louisiana Perique Flake?
I read there are two kinds of Perique made in Louisiana. Arcadian and St James if memory serves me. Could this be what I'm experiencing?

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
LOL I've not had it, but now you got me curious. I've never had a VaPer that I found bad, much less offensive. Can you describe the taste?

bonehed

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 27, 2014
I got some yesterday and have only had one bowl so far. It was tasty after the Lakeland essence burned off after a puff or two. A bit odd at first though. I enjoy Lakeland's but preferthem either all there or not at all, so far at least.

bonehed

Nov 27, 2014
About through bowl number two - much less Lakeland, if any, and a bit more alcohol (?) in this one. Nice though...

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
I had the same Lakeland taste and smell three weeks ago with my first (and only) two bowls. Since then, a new American friend in Japan, who likes it, is smoking it.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
What you're tasting is the cross over essence, G&H uses the same machinery for all of their scented and unscented tobacco, so there's various degrees of how much of the lakeland essence contaminates the unscented versions of their tobacco's. After smoking their unscented stuff regularly it becomes more of an almond nutty flavor I find that I quite enjoy. Hopefully with the merger of the two Gawith houses they'll be able to use separate machinery for their unscented stuff, as I find alot of people miss out on this quality tobacco because of the slight essence that is very polarizing.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Acadian Perique and St. James Perique are only different in regards to the source of the tobacco leaf. The processing is exactly the same, and there is little difference taste-wise between the two. St. James Perique is made with tobacco sourced right there in St. James Parish where all true Perique is born. Likely the taste is Lakeland essence, and that is a love/hate relationship, to be sure. If you want to get an idea of the two Periques, get some SJ Rimboche and AP Rimboche, and see if you can tell the difference.

mustanggt

Dec 6, 2012
Va/Per is my favorite tobacco but I can not for the life of me understand the Lakeland crap at all. I don't like smoking grandma's bloomers. Gross beyond measure.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
I keep hearing it repeated that the Lakeland flavor is spread by using the same equipment for all the blends. If that's true then they need to do something....said wishfully...different. I don't get just an unpleasant odor and taste, but also a FEEL in the mouth from the stuff, especially if it is a scented blend. The one time I tried a scented blend it practically made me gag. BLEH!

nachman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2013
[/quote]]the distinct flavor is chocolate

I also taste some almond. Lakeland flavours are from the days before chemical flavours were used on tobacco which has been preserved until recently in the UK by "purity laws" which were passed to avoid adulteration of products. The flavouring is all natural so they consist of flowers and herbs. We even have sweets with floral flavours (eg rose and lavender) for the same reasons. They just seem strange to Yanks who have never been exposed to them. I live in the US, and American aromatics make me gag. I guess it is what you are accustomed to.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
Gee, thanks for showing me the way Scar...I feel all grown up now...and I started smoking 44 years ago when I was 18 and in the military.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
It's definitely flavored/scented. I love Lakelands and I like Vapers, but I really don't like GH Louisiana Perique Flake.

I don't complain about Lakelands in hopes that they'll change. No, I don't want them to change at all. I just enjoy making fun of them and the people who love them, for no other reason than my own pleasure. Sure, sure, there are a few GH&co non-flavored blends that I do like, but there is no rhyme or reason to it. It's just intrinsically fun to pick at guys who like smoking things that smell like my grandma's bathroom. Eh, really though, of all the things that could be made fun of, I find offending Lakeland smokers the least offensive (and offended). They know their love of super strong nicotine tobaccos scented like little old ladies is weird also. They of all people tend to take a joke well. Thus, the ribbing. And, if anyone ever catches me smoking grandma's pink soaps, feel free to lambast me. I will look forward to it.

For the non-Lakeland smokers getting their panties in a wad, phhht, ha ha!

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
I'm smoking my first bowl of GH Bob's Square Cut Unscented, and it's not so bad, even though it does have a faint Lakeland taste/scent to it. It's flavored with chocolate and vanilla. I got it for a friend in Japan who likes the Square Cut, but not Bob's Chocolate Flake.

Status
Not open for further replies.