PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

keith929

Lifer
Nov 23, 2010
G L Pease Sextant is now available over at SmokingPipes. I just ordered a couple of tins I can hardly wait!

wnghanglow

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2012
Never heard of it, but i'm going to go look at it now that I see how excited you guys are lol

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Here's my mini-review teaser. It's amazing stuff right out of the tin, and will probably age well too -
http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/pipe-news/new-gl-pease-sextant-blend-teaser/

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
So, this is an aro, yes? " . . .infused with a hint of dark rum . . ."

glpease

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 17, 2010
California
It's not what most of us would consider an "aromatic," but yes, it's infused with a little rum. If you remember my old blend, Mephisto, you'll find some similarities in this one, though it's also very different. The dark-fired Kentucky gives it a nice stoutness, and the rum adds a hint of sweetness and an almost indescribable character to the smoke. It still tastes and smells like tobacco, not like a Baba au Rhum; the rum adding something to the overall experience, not attempting to cover it up, as is the case with most blends thought of as "aromatic."

standardgewehr

Might Stick Around
Feb 2, 2011
Just received confirmation that my tins of Sextant shipped from pipesandcigars.com this morning.
Sextant has me... expectant. And I hear it's not weighted down with artificial humectant. When it arrives I shall be exultant

danno

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 5, 2011
Ah, now a question for Maestro Pease. The addition of Rum begs the question: Does the alcohol help bring out

flavors in the tobacco? For instance, I think it is fairly well known amongst foodies that Alcohol, such as a

White Wine or Vodka, can bring out certain flavor components in Italian Tomato Sauce that otherwise would not come out. Is the Alcohol in the Rum possibly doing the same thing with the tobaccos?

glpease

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 17, 2010
California
Ah, now a question for Maestro Pease. The addition of Rum begs the question: Does the alcohol help bring out

flavors in the tobacco? For instance, I think it is fairly well known amongst foodies that Alcohol, such as a

White Wine or Vodka, can bring out certain flavor components in Italian Tomato Sauce that otherwise would not come out. Is the Alcohol in the Rum possibly doing the same thing with the tobaccos?
Danno, that is such a good question, I'm going to stick in the mailbag for the next issue of Ask G.L. Pease. Yeah, I'm a jerk, but I just made sure I'l have one more reader next month. ;)

markw4mms

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Bremen,GA
Danno, that is such a good question, I'm going to stick in the mailbag for the next issue of Ask G.L. Pease. Yeah, I'm a jerk, but I just made sure I'l have one more reader next month.
You are one sly dog, Greg! :rofl:

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
Well THAT didn't take long.
Sat down to do my bi-monthly online ordering and Sextant is sold out at all my usual sources -- and all my back-ups, too.
Greg, congratulations on a what must be a HUGE launch for your company. Those empty "shelves" are s a testament to the excellence of your products and the regard folks have for you.
I'll keep my eye out for the next re-stock, and look forward to reviews here.
(Greg, thanks, too, for your explanation above. Sounds like a great concept, and something that really interests me despite being a now dedicated non-aro smoker.)

cajunguy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2012
Metairie, LA
I should have pre-ordered. :crying:
What's worse: I was going to pre-order and forgot. That adds insult to injury.
Enjoy guys! I'll be joining you soon (I hope).

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I'm smoking this right now. I wants to do a review, but right this minute I'm stuck at O...M...F...G! This is my first GL Pease tobacco and I am amazed. There is so much complexity here and when the spice gets done rocking your world, you get this scent of rum that just teases your nose from the bowl. WOW! :worship:

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
a new reader ... or two!
going to slightly hijack this thread and ask, what are your favorite GL Pease blends, and why?
Stratford is very impressive, but Cumberland wasn't my idea of tasty (no offense intended).

Status
Not open for further replies.