PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
For those who love rowdy, peck, though currently on sabbatical from Forums, provides a good model. He can be wry, dry, and wildly off color without being ugly or prejudicial. It's possible to be "bad" without being perverse. With so much of the internet being a sort of sewer, I'm all for keeping it upbeat, enough that religious, more conventionally minded, or studious folks aren't repelled. Most people should feel reasonably welcome -- women (of all turns of mind), the clergy, the very young, and people old enough to remember what manners are/were.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
didache, very true. Any cleric who has done much pastoral work has seen it all, several times, so is hardly a sheltered soul. Also, when I said "the very young," I meant the very young adults. Can't have children cruising the smoking pipe site. Boy, so much 'net is a swelter of troubled emotions (probably not so much minds at all). If we can keep this civil while still making room for wit, that is the rowdiest baddest thing of all, not caving to the decay.
Lest anyone think that I think that women are cloistered flowers, my late wife taught at a women's college and some of the things the women said to each other within earshot were (wow, what can I say) racy. Also on one or two occasions I picked up phone calls at home, clearly students, who made astonishing offers and suggestions. Again wow. Some gals can get into animal husbandry in detail.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
This one's my fault. I'm a bit of a rough character, and I don't mean to interrupt an otherwise normal and healthy space.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
I was surprised that thread lasted as long as it did and I've noticed a couple of guys getting a little to comfortable here. 8O

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
"I've noticed a couple of guys getting a little to comfortable here."
Boy, I'd sure like to hear a little more about that.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A footnote: The brilliant comic Red Fox made his name in show biz doing blue comedy (dirty jokes) but when he had to clean up his act to do a network TV series, Sanford and Son, if anything he only improved. And it made him accessible to a much wider audience. One of his parents was African-American and the other was European ancestry; he said, "I didn't know who to hate!" Amazing comedy writer, but perhaps equally or more talented as a performer -- perfect timing, unparalleled ear, immense control with gesture, gait, and expression. Just comedy at the highest level.

Status
Not open for further replies.