(10 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by leacha
  • Latest reply from jeepnewbie
  1. leacha

leacha

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hi All,

Here's the situation and my question. I placed an order last week, included in the order was a tub of tobacco. The vendor mistakenly shipped a sample of the tobacco. After an email the correct item was shipped. Unfortunately the vendor did not send me the shipment conformation so I had no idea when to expect the item. The item was delivered to my mail box after I had picked up the days mail on Saturday. It sat in the box all weekend going from warm days to freezing evenings and nights and back to warm days.

Will these temperature fluctuations be harmful to the taste and constancy of the tobacco?

Thank You,

Posted 5 years ago #
  2. northernneil

northernneil

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The tobacco should be fine. I receive packages in the dead of winter all the time and have never had any tobacco ruined by it. All you'll need to watch for will be the seal cracking due to fluctuating temperatures. Check all the seals, if they are broken, throw the content in a mason jar.

Posted 5 years ago #
  3. shayde

shayde

Login to Send PM

I can't imagine it to be good for the tobacco, is it any dryer or more moist then it should be?

"I have some friends, some honest friends, and honest friends are few; My pipe of briar, my open fire, A book that's not too new." -Robert W. Service
    Posted 5 years ago #
  4. leacha

leacha

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks. The vendor also confirmed it'll be alright. It is currently defrosting on the counter. Its a frozen block inside the tub. I'll check the tub condition in a few days for cracks or breaks.

Posted 5 years ago #
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

james80

Login to Send PM

I would imagine once defrosted you will need to leave it for a while to re-hydrate. The water content will now be on the outside of the tobacco as a result of the freezing and defrost process.

Posted 5 years ago #
  6. teufelhund

teufelhund

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Its a frozen block inside the tub.

Holy cow! I'm glad it's not that cold here yet. A few weeks and lows will be consistently below freezing; just in time for all the idiot xmas shoppers to drive on icy roads.

Smoke your pipe and be silent; there's only wind and smoke in the world. - Irish Proverb
    Posted 5 years ago #
  7. northernneil

northernneil

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Unless the seal on the tin has broken, there should be no need to do anything special. The moisture will not disappear if the tin remained sealed, so rehydrating and such will not be necessary.
    I've received many tobacco tins that have sat in -30 degrees Celsius for many hours and have only had one issue with the tin loosing it's seal. And how did I fix this problem you ask...? I smoked a bowl and moved the contents to a mason jar.

Posted 5 years ago #
  8. jeepnewbie

jeepnewbie

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

How does one check a seal on a round tin?

"Keep it Classy"
    Posted 5 years ago #
  9. northernneil

northernneil

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If you can twist the lid, the seal is broken. You will not be able to twist the lid by hand if the seal is in tact.

Posted 5 years ago #
  10. jeepnewbie

jeepnewbie

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ahh, ok I can't remember how I opened the tins during my tour in 06-07. But I could have sworn i used my hands, but it was hard to open them. We didn't have anything else to use without destroying the tins.

Posted 5 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   jaytex969, pipestud, sholto, elbert, philobeddoe, dcon, ashdigger, pitchfork, jiminks, rodo, danimalia, jfred, gandalfspipe, tuold, crawdad, oldgeezersmoker, cshubhra, ormazd, ben88, cigrmaster, jrbjr