PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

leacha

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
Hi All,
Here's the situation and my question. I placed an order last week, included in the order was a tub of tobacco. The vendor mistakenly shipped a sample of the tobacco. After an email the correct item was shipped. Unfortunately the vendor did not send me the shipment conformation so I had no idea when to expect the item. The item was delivered to my mail box after I had picked up the days mail on Saturday. It sat in the box all weekend going from warm days to freezing evenings and nights and back to warm days.
Will these temperature fluctuations be harmful to the taste and constancy of the tobacco?
Thank You,

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
The tobacco should be fine. I receive packages in the dead of winter all the time and have never had any tobacco ruined by it. All you'll need to watch for will be the seal cracking due to fluctuating temperatures. Check all the seals, if they are broken, throw the content in a mason jar.

shayde

Can't Leave
Oct 4, 2013
I can't imagine it to be good for the tobacco, is it any dryer or more moist then it should be?

leacha

Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
Thanks. The vendor also confirmed it'll be alright. It is currently defrosting on the counter. Its a frozen block inside the tub. I'll check the tub condition in a few days for cracks or breaks.

james80

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 16, 2012
I would imagine once defrosted you will need to leave it for a while to re-hydrate. The water content will now be on the outside of the tobacco as a result of the freezing and defrost process.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
Unless the seal on the tin has broken, there should be no need to do anything special. The moisture will not disappear if the tin remained sealed, so rehydrating and such will not be necessary.

I've received many tobacco tins that have sat in -30 degrees Celsius for many hours and have only had one issue with the tin loosing it's seal. And how did I fix this problem you ask...? I smoked a bowl and moved the contents to a mason jar.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
If you can twist the lid, the seal is broken. You will not be able to twist the lid by hand if the seal is in tact.

jeepnewbie

Jul 12, 2013
Byron
www.facebook.com
Ahh, ok I can't remember how I opened the tins during my tour in 06-07. But I could have sworn i used my hands, but it was hard to open them. We didn't have anything else to use without destroying the tins.

Status
Not open for further replies.