PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I am a Mason and have been for 6 years or so now. Just by watching the folks on this forum, some of the things I've seen members do for one another and the level of trust between members have put me in the mind of many of the virtues espoused by my fraternity. Some would call it basic human courtesy and gentlemanly behaviour, but in my experience common courtesy in these times is not exactly common.
If you choose not to respond publicly, I understand (you can still shoot me a PM), but I was just curious as to whether any of the Brotherhood of the Briar are members of other brotherhoods as well. Lions, Oddfellows, Masons, W.O.W etc.
In the interest of good faith, I'm a Texas Mason and a member of the Scottish Rite (32°) and a Knight Templar.

bambam

Can't Leave
Jun 22, 2011
Virginia
Wow, I just sent off emails to the Freemasons and Lions Club here in Virginia asking about membership, came back to the forums and this post was added, kinda cool but kinda freaky.

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
I am a brother of a certain fraternity of men but I am not allowed to say what it is. But in college I joined the Kappa Sigma fraternity and I am a brother for life.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Keep trying, bambam. I don't know about the Lions, but perseverance with the MAsons usually pays off. If you do end up petitioning, let me know.

loborx

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 20, 2011
"I wouldn't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member " - Groucho Marx

Sorry, I couldn't resist. :D

spyder71

Jul 14, 2011
Im a very involved and proud member/officer of The Fraternal Order Of MOOSE!

kennerth

Can't Leave
Jul 30, 2011
I know there are secret signs and handshakes in many fraternal organizations. Can you tell a member by how they smoke a pipe alone?

Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
I grew up around a Lions club and around here, there are Freemasons, which I have a cousin that is a member, and a Moose Lodge about 15 minutes from here. Never really gave it much thought on becoming a member, though.
Don't you have to have military service with most of them?

kennerth

Can't Leave
Jul 30, 2011
I appreciate your candor, barons. That is refreshing! I don't like secrets, so they are not for me.

jasongone

Mar 23, 2011
I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members.

Groucho Marx

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I can't speak for any fraternities of which I'm not a member, but there are a lot of ex-military Masosns, but it is not a requirement.
Every group has secrets, just like every company has proprietary knowledge that they don't want other companies to know. Most Masonic secrets exist to prevent infiltration and the formation of clandestine lodges. As for the lore associated with it, more myth abounds than truth.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
"GDI"... haven't heard that since college.
Nice one, tslex!
Bubba, if security is so tight that you can't mention the name of your club, shouldn't you not even mention that you're a member of ANY club? Otherwise you're just saying "I have a secret but I can't tell you!"

Status
Not open for further replies.