Found this pipe at an antique shop and can't find any information about it.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Picked up this London Crown at an antique shop a couple of days ago for $8, she wanted $12. I've been searching the internet (pipedia, pipephil...) for any information and I can't find anything. I'm sure it's nothing special, but it's always interesting to read some history or info about a pipe you find. Any ideas?
london-crown-1-600x377.jpg

london-crown-2-600x311.jpg

london-crown-3-600x314.jpg

london-crown-4-600x410.jpg

london-crown-5-600x493.jpg

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Who Made That Pipe lists London Crown's maker as unknown. The COM stamp isn't the same as the Comoy pictured. Different font, letters in different sizes and weights. Also, "Made in London England" was used by more than one maker. Barling used it during the '30's and '40's. The "L" on the shank does look like Palmerston, and the fit is a bit dodgy, although that in itself isn't proof of the stem being from another pipe. Nothing about it on Pipedia at all. Given that it says "Made In London England" it seems unlikely to be A. Lacroix.
Worthpoint has a listing for a London Crown with a completely different crown logo. That pipe is claimed by the seller to be by Parker/Hardcastle, but there's nothing to connect the pipe to that attribution. Hardcastle's crown logo is also completely different. The two ads I've found for London Crown pipes date to 1962-3, but access to a full scale view IS dodgy on one site and the other site requires a paid subscription.
Nice shaping to the pipe.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Thanks Jesse for the information. I couldn't pass it up for $8 (I'll spend that for a burger). I'll clean it up and keep it around.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
That poor little old lady, screwed out of $4.00 for a pipe worth at least $20! Where's the shame???

Before anyone goes off the rails, I am totally messing around....
And, nice background and photos.

retrogrouch

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 16, 2017
The crown looks a lot like the ones from Oxford pipes. You might check them out on pipephil.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
The crown looks a lot like the ones from Oxford pipes. You might check them out on pipephil.

Your right...it does. Also Royal Bruyere and Royal Crown which are Hardcastle seconds.

Thanks retrogrouch.
Close up of London Crown
royal-crown-close-up.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Handsome straight Dublin, nice proportions and balance. The Brits do wonders with the traditional shapes. And what a deal on that one! Yeah, eight bucks is less than a trip to the local ice cream stand.

Status
Not open for further replies.