PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
I've had this pipe in my racks for several years now, but I can find no information on it. The nomenclature reads: London Crown, Made in London England. A crown is imprinted on both the strumel and the vulcanite stem. Does anyone know anything about London Crown pipes?
IMAG0067-2-1-1.jpg

IMAG0065-1-1-1-1.jpg

IMAG0066-1-1-1.jpg

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Thanks Roth. Hardcastle I understand became a subsidiary of Dunhill, and Pipedia gives a good recounting of its history. Mentioning that Hardcastle was below Parker, another Dunhill subsidary, in quality. Although you're right about the crown logo similarity, I can't find London Crown listed under any of the numerous Hardcastle grades and seconds listed in the article. It's a fine pipe with no fills. Funny thing is I've never smoked it. Wish I knew more about it.
Hardcastle Models & Grades
Pre-Cadogan Era: Straight Grain, Supergrain, Leweard, Nut Bruyere, De Luxe, Royal Windsor Sandhewn, Royal Crown, The Crown, Phito Dental, Old Bruyere, Jack, O'London, Dental Briar, Phito, Dental, Druconomy, Drawel, Phithu, Telebirar, Camden, Lightweight, The Table, Dovetail, Dental, Crescent Extra, Lonsdale, Welard De Luxe
Seconds: Start, Argyle, After Lunch, Crescent, Duke, Jockey Club, Scout

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Here's the Hardcastle rothhn mentioned; I just got it in the post today. It looks rather black, but is actually dark brown. It has "Royal Crown, Made in England" lightly stamped on the underside, no crown, but that doesn't matter to me. It smokes and sips like a dream.

hardcastle-600x314.jpg

addamsruspipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 4, 2016
Albuquerque, NM
Question regarding a pipe similar to the one above pipe. I just got one that is stamped London Crown, Made in England. Looks like the one above but the stem has a stylized cursive L on it. Is this likely a Hardcastle as well or something different. I checked pipedia but did not find anything.

Reactions: Peter - CCB
Status
Not open for further replies.