PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 14, 2012
This painting was finished yesterday after months of work. Or so I thought. When I put a piece of tape over the breasts to make it acceptable to most sites, I was a bit surprised to find I liked the censored version better. So I have an artistic debt to Kevin and Lawrence on this one. I am considering painting in the black band. You may see the uncensored version, in about 5 minutes at photo.net/photos/FeodorDefemina under paintings. Opinions on which version is better are sought from Bradley, Six, Assaad and the other artists on this site. There is some wet red paint on the right which explains the reflection, and I left in the easel because it makes a better photograph. The model's name is Pigeon. You may consider her a "pipe babe". The painting accomplishes what I have been working on for some time. A fusion of non-objective (now called abstract) Modernism and figurative art. Or Foggyism.No ruler or T square was used. It was all done freehand, and is intended to not be perfect.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Bruce I am drawn to the face, the border is very pleasing, at my age don,t look at tits. 'very much, you seen 2 you seen enough all, lots of emotion in face, wary,maybe hostile, but beautiful,free hand or not it's a fine piece IMHO.

Aug 14, 2012
Thanks Bradley. It isn't about tits for me either. It is about the geometry of the painting and how far it should go. I like both versions, and don't know which I prefer.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
A striking painting Bruce. The choice of background colors brings the model to the foreground. The knatted hair and green/red ribbon bring to mind Keith Richards. As for the censorship bar, rules are rules, and we must abide by them. But in rhe original I might leave it out. Nothing hard and fast. Just my opinion. I like to see what I'm looking at.

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
Very nice Foggy. I like both versions equally. There is something about the black band that adds a bit of mystique for me.

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
IMHO the censor bar allows the model to be the subject of the piece rather than the object. Great work again Foggy. The colors in her skin are beautiful I especially like the red tones coming through on her clavicle and her right cheek bone.

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
The black band is good because, as others have pointed out, anatomy is not the striking part of the work but rather the sharp face and hair,the colors overlaid and inlaid therein, and the background with the whole body.
I'm really glad I found this site, so much more going on than pipes alone. Neat stuff.

Aug 14, 2012
jameson and dread: Thanks so much for your opinions. I am inclined to agree. Will wait a few days before making a decision. And as dread says, thanks Kevin and monitors for permitting all this other stuff besides pipes. Pipes are great, but there are other things in life.

bobpnm

Lifer
Jul 24, 2012
Panama City, Florida
It is striking and lovely! Her face very expressive. Your lines add great perspective. I could look at this for hours. Thank you so much for sharing this?

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Foggy, I like this one a lot. Love the geometry. Surprisingly, the black tape works really well. It's size suit the other geometric lines, it looks perfectly horizontal too. And somehow adds a bit of drama to the whole thing.
I'd count this one as a happy accident.
p.s.

Like the new avatar.

Aug 14, 2012
ThANks Six and Roth: youse is two smart guys. It is only my considerable affection for the model that makes me hesitate. But I will probably add a black bar.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Figure study has come way back after being outre for some decades. This is a good one.

I like the geometrics -- figure meets Piet Mondrian.

Aug 14, 2012
mso: Figure painting was never out with me. Oh the battles I had with foolish instructors at RISD over that. The idea is to not discard the past, not copy it, but move forward with it into new territory. And old Pete Mondrian was a lot more important than he is given credit for, even today. There is a serious lapse of taste in the art world when a Picasso which is a very pretty and facile illustration is worth $150,000,000+ and a Pete $4,000,000. Piet was a deadly serious artist, who had to wait on tables, and the other guy a great salesman.

Aug 14, 2012
jameson: The new avatar is to show how angry I am this week. I have, in one week, written to Obama three times, the NYS governor twice and the Japanese prime minister once (no anger in that email). Can't say here about what, except that the letter to Japan was to suggest a great man be designated a national treasure.

dervis

Lifer
Jan 30, 2012
Hazel Green AL
After seeing a lot of these must say art is something lost om me. I see a mad angry naked chick. However I click on the posts to read your comments really. It is nice to hear a passionate person speak on something they are passionate about. Don't find that often enough in my opinion. Please keep it up the more explanation the better.

Aug 14, 2012
She wasn't angry at all, just, perhaps, focused on the great Scotch I would pour for us after work. And not naked, nude. She is a pro art model who spends half her life undressed and is completely comfortable with it.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I don't see this as "censored" as much as I do "sensed". There's a lot of depth in her face and the striking colors bordering her tend to draw my attention to the central figure. I'm no expert but I know that I like what I'm seeing here. Well done, sir. Thank you for sharing with us.

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
Foggy, I appreciate your art and your abilities. You truly have a God-given talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.