PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 14, 2012
flyguy: I had very little talent. 65 years of hard work is what caused it to appear that way. As Einstein or someone said "genius is 95% hard work."

locopony

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 7, 2011
I like when people use colors, especially unconventional color in portrates. My best work it with black and white and touches of color . I always love the way some people use color My uncle Thomas in Chicago used color in that way. I still concider myself an artist even tgough I work in motorcycle customization rather than paint anymore. I still do music too. I say uncensored is better (not because boobs). The natural state of the nude invokes vulnerability, modesty, and humanity, especially with the facial expression she is projecting.

Aug 14, 2012
locopony: How about posting some pictures of your work. And I still want to know where your bike shop is and what kind of motorcycles you sell.

locopony

Jun 7, 2011
My motorcycle is in Conroe Texas. Locoponys Ironhorse Outfitter. I only sell a very few used bikes. I mostly repair them and modify them.
My phone is the only conection I have to the internet awat from my shop so its not possible to post any of my paintings. (I havent just done a painting on canvass in several years). I work alot with leather and metal now. I colaberate with my wife on most art projects now.
http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/5413_101745099840206_4524709_n.jpg
Here is a link to a colaberative painting between me and my wife. Its on a piano panel that we found on the porch of an abandonded store. The pia o was absolutely ruined from years of setting in the rain.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
you seem to have captured pain in her face, as if she's gone through some terrible ordeal.

locopony

Jun 7, 2011
http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/5413_101745093173540_6692506_n.jpg

This is also a collaborative work between the wife and I.

Aug 14, 2012
zonomo: She has gone through many personal ordeals. I am sure she would not like me to tell people about them. But everyone's life is not exactly the American ideal. This fine human being has suffered greatly, and that is all I can say.

locopony: Thanks, original stuff. I won't be in Texas again so I will miss your shop. I like the name though.

corncobguy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2012
Wow foggy what a beautiful piece. The eyes are so realistic. You can almost feel the pain.

PeriqueMyInterest

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2011
Alberta, Canada
I think, with or without the bar, you are very skilled and I enjoyed the whole series of nudes. That being said, I think the bar really confuses the whole thing. The series seems to me to be the antithesis of idealism and glorifying any idea of perfection. It highlights the mundane aspect of human beings. The minimalism of it all really brings that forward, I think this is the best yet because the reflection, while drawing the woman back, leads the eye from her face towards the surrounding colors and brings them together. It flattens it all into one moment. It's very nice. I like it a lot! Censoring the breasts really makes me wonder why she would be nude at all. Why not just paint a face. The feelings evoked and whatever message implied could be made either way, you're good enough to do that. It becomes a statement with the bar, a very clear and precise message about censorship that relies on the audiences abilities to "read" art. That's very boring. What is exciting about the series thus far is that it relies on the audiences abilities to feel and to make very basic and very human connections to your work. You are the mediator and not the instructor, its honest, human, nice. Anyone can appreciate good art, if you cannot your not human. As long as you have senses and emotions good paintings make you feel something and that kind of art isn't pompous and won't turn anyone away. Anyhow, that's enough of my ideology, you might not agree. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, though the respect of ones opinion is something to be earned. Your opinion on paintings should definitely be respected, I'd like to hear it.

PeriqueMyInterest

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2011
Alberta, Canada
Also, I usually don't like when people ask for my opinion on their art. I'm honest and don't like to hurt peoples feelings. But this time I'm honored that someone as skilled as you thought enough of my two doodles to call me out.

Aug 14, 2012
Thanks Assaad, good comments. I have asked for opinions because this model became a friend and I can't see the painting objectively. Why is she nude? Because that is what I do, paint nudes. I Started by drawing them in a required course as a college freshman. I was very shocked at first. Then, as a sculpture major, I spent 3 1/2 hours a day, for years, copying live nude models in clay. And also carved them in wood and stone. We drew and sculpted them endlessly. By this time, expectedly, they were my primary subject. When I became a photographer the figure was naturally my subject. And learning to paint, the nude figure and portrait heads were the main subject. These two are what I do. I have done landscapes, and like them as much, but when you paint in public you draw an unwelcome crowd. They think you are there to entertain them. So I returned to the figure. Models come to my studio. Landscapes do not. Then there is the fact that the human figure is the most difficult subject. I love the challenge. And of course it has kept me in touch with the younger generations all these years and that is important. Many many of my friends are people who have posed for me. It is not about sex. A sexual encounter is very infrequent and is always initiated by the model. It would be unprofessional otherwise. Artists who work with live models should have a code of conduct. It goes something like this: 1) You don't stare except when necessary for the work. 2)You don't make comments about the model's body unless she asks you to. 3) You never hit on the model, but if she hits on you it is different. 4) Never touch. 5) Do not take pictures unless you ask first 6) If you do take pictures you don't show or publish them without a written models release. 7) This is not a requirement, but a good idea. Use professional models. 8) Give them breaks and pay them fairly. For some reason #8 reproduces as a little head.

PeriqueMyInterest

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2011
Alberta, Canada
Foggy, I appreciate your answer. But I still think it would be a shame to cover up her breasts. Either way it doesn't matter as long as you're happy with it!
How about a still life painting with some Petersons? Or a rack full of lovats? :D

Dec 24, 2012
The whole idea of censoring a visual representation of a woman's breasts is something I've never been able to fathom. Perhaps we are just far too "european" up here.

Aug 14, 2012
assaad: I gave up on still lifes because they are easy and boring. But with your watercolor techniques maybe you can find an original way to do them. I could post some of my still lifes, but they bore me and I wouldn't want to bore the people here. They just don't interest me the way people and trees do. Nature morte is I believe what the French call them. I prefer painting live things.

As far as the painting of Pigeon goes I may have reached a solution this morning. Put a bar across her chest, just under the breast bone, not all black, but black with colors. Time will supply the right answer. No rush.

murf: The avatar I am now showing is of me, maybe 20 years ago. It was probably an actor's picture I did to apply for a role as Saint Peter in an independent film. Looking at it now, it is no surprise I wasn't called to audition. The hair is too short and the expression too angry. Also, though I can act, I have no resume. I found it looking for some pictures of me on a motorcycle for the Indian thread. I was surprised how easy it is to copy a picture with a digital camera, with the aid of lightroom (a sort of simplified photoshop). It used to be very difficult with film and no computer adjustment.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
It used to be very difficult with film and no computer adjustment.
I took photography way back in H.S. when of course they still used dark rooms but it never took. But I've been using Photoshop since version 1 and it's never been easier to do retouching, etc.
Occasionally I can be found on Reddit's Picture Request doing retouches or colorizations. It's actually a lot of fun and offers me a relaxing diversion.
pic-request2-384x600.jpg

pic-request1-384x600.jpg

Aug 14, 2012
Six: When I opened a photo portrait studio in the early 1980s, I had never used a computer, and if there were photoshop, I didn't hear of it. Naturally customers wanted to get their pictures retouched before reproduction. They were usually actors, and got 100 copies made. I knew nothing about retouching but had learned never to say no to a customer, so I said yes, of course I did retouching. First I trie white oil pastel, which worked pretty well, and used Spotone to darken. Spotone was made to eliminate spots in a print. It was a dye. Then I learned to use Spotone bleach instead of pastel, but when you bleached you had to finish by darkening with Spotone dye. It was laborious and I spent all my leisure time doing it. After a few years I could do it so even with a magnifying glass you couldn't tell it was retouched. Then I found out that the other studios were retouching with an x-acto knife, scraping off the darkness. It showed on the original but not the copies. So I learned to do it that way too. It saved a lot of time. Years later, a retired photographer, I got Lightroom, which is a simplified Photoshop, made by the same people. You were not supposed to be able to retouch with it. I discovered that by adjusting exposure with the smallest "brush" you could do simple retouching with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.