PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

indianafrank

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 15, 2014
I envy those who can smoke indoors. My wife won't allow it. Here in NY State it's too cold for me to smoke outdoors. The enjoyment just isn't there when I do. If I sit in the garage all bundled up its boring, just starring at the car, my tools, workbench etc, just doesn't do it for me. But I did manage to get a smoke in for 10 minutes tonight. My wife went out for a while. I went down to the basement and opened one window. I felt like a little kid sneaking a candy bar when my parents told me, "no candy."
Yup, you indoor smokers are lucky!

skraps

Sep 9, 2015
That is a bummer, Frank. I'm lucky that I can smoke inside... and also lucky that Philly tends to be moderate enough that I can often smoke outside if I wanted to. I'll stick to the comfort of my office though.

theloniousmonkfish

Jan 1, 2017
Man, I loaded my biggest pipe just to shovel the driveway, took well over an hour. Go for a walk if you can't handle sitting in the cold, I don't care for it either but used to work on ice so freezing and smoking is second nature. Hell anything and smoking is second nature.

indianafrank

Oct 15, 2014
skrapsoftobacco -
Philly tends to be moderate enough that I can often smoke outside if I wanted to. I'll stick to the comfort of my office though.
I can smoke outdoors when its cold. I live in a rural area. I just don't like it.
Dot -
The party will be over as soon as I reunite with the family, and I prefer family!
Amen to that! Family is too important.

indianafrank

Oct 15, 2014
theloniousmonkfish -
Man, I loaded my biggest pipe just so to shovel the driveway, took well over an hour. Go for a walk if you can't handle sitting in the cold, I don't care for it either but used to work on ice so freezing and smoking is second nature. Hell anything and smoking is second nature.
Shovel the driveway? You must be a youngster. :D

As for walking. I love walking. I hike and spend a lot of time outdoors. But we are in a valley where the wind this time of year is blowing 24/7, so I struggle to keep the pipe lit...or it gets too hot.

snoopy311

Can't Leave
Dec 21, 2016
Frank, welcome to the Midwest. I sit in my garage with a nipco heater to keep me company. With the temp below 20 degrees it runs most all the time. Warmer weather allows me to turn it off from time to time. Interruptions of the great smoke that I am enjoying. But, there will come a day when the cold can keep me no more. And the sun will shine and the garage door will open to find the time when I am no longer confined and can break free on the confines of a garage, to smoke my beloved leaf. Here ends the story, Amen!

theloniousmonkfish

Jan 1, 2017
"Shovel the driveway? You must be a youngster."
You know, it's weird, everyone I graduated from school with got old but I keep turning 19 every year. Also I'm broke and need to go places so have to shovel my own drive.

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
I smoke in the bathroom of our condo on the 27th floor, I put the exhaust fan on and light a Lampe Burger candle.
It;s not ideal, but when the weather warms I will sit not the balcony and listen to the sounds of my City. and smoke my concerns away.

theloniousmonkfish

Jan 1, 2017
You mean like smoking in the loge bathroom at a stadium? Or carrying a lit pipe in your pocket when you enter stores?

Mar 1, 2014
I'm still doing orthodontics so it'll be another six or eight months before I let myself back on the pipe, I might smoke a bowl or two this year but while my mouth is being rearranged it's probably best to avoid tobacco.

Even once my treatment is over I'll probably stick to once a week, dry mouth is still a problem and sometimes I wake up with a scratchy throat even after nearly a year since touching a pipe.

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
Nothing like the first smoke after a long break like that. :mrgreen:
Nothing like the first smoke after trying to quit for a while. :oops:
Freezing in Chicago here, I grew up in the midwest (further north for most of it). I learned how to smoke outdoors as a kid. Overcoming the discomfort of the cold, cold outdoors has become part of the smoking zen over the years. I can and do smoke my pipe in my home, but even in the winter (unless we're talking -20F) I still tend to do most of my smoking outdoors. Really ... it helps keep you warm! :wink:

kuroneko

Lurker
Dec 19, 2016
There are really few places you are allowed to smoke outside in Japan so they let us smoke in our dorm rooms. My room smells nutty and sweet tobaccos 24/7. Lucky indeed!

tittleton

Lurker
Jan 10, 2015
Kuroneko, my time in Japan must have been a little different. Seems like the smoking culture in Japan was a lot more lax as most of all the men smoked cigarettes. Of course I was usually around various bars and naval bases so your mileage may vary.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Can't you just put a fan in the window blowing outwards and smoke right in front of it? Or smoke in the car? Or put a space heater in the garage? Surely there has to be some clever workaround?

jjjarhead

Might Stick Around
Nov 14, 2014
pull a chair, make yourself warm and comfortable, and open a book to read. that's my favorite thing to do when smoking. And if you're afraid that your fingers may freeze off, there's always audiobook! A good narrator makes a already good book even better!

honestly though, although I can smoke indoor, I envy those of you who have a garage to begin with. I live in an apartment and there's no extra space to put all my tools and materials. I end up making a mess in my study every time and saw dust on bookshelves, etc. well, every man has his problem to deal with, I guess.

akfilm

Can't Leave
Mar 2, 2016
My garage is my shop. I can spend hour and hours in there without batting an eye, smoking every minute of it. Thankfully I have a great heater in there, since it gets pretty cold in Alaska. I do have the ok to smoke in my home office if the door is shut and the window cracked, and I usually try to be done two hours before my wife is home. She doesn't mind pipe tobacco at all, just doesn't want it in the house where it can get on soft goods.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
I have a small study where most of my smoking occurs ... Personally I was against smoking indoors, but since I have picked up pipe smoking seriously, I have found that the after smell doesn't bother me as much as cigarettes. So I figured if I enjoy it so much, why punish myself and not enjoy my hobby indoors. I keep it to the study though ... the wife smokes in the kitchen, but she doesn't like most of my non aromatic tobaccos. I respect her lack of support, so I find myself secluded most of the time ... I might even have to repaint my study (like I said it is quite small), but heck ... a bucked of paint every couple of years does not cost cost a fortune.

Mar 1, 2014
Speaking of what you're missing not smoking a pipe outdoors, my barn cat has been pretty starved for attention this year.

Going back far enough I wouldn't even have a barn cat if I hadn't been sitting there when that stray kitten crossed my path.

Actually I think I was making horrible noises with a violin that night, but the pipe is the primary reason I started regularly spending time outdoors, one thing leads to another.

Status
Not open for further replies.