First estate pipe purchase - good quality pipe or not?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
image1-337x600.png

So I bought this - my first estate pipe. The Barling Garnet Grain 5119, supposedly from the 60's-70's. Second pipe ever, I've only had my other Peterson System Standard 313 for about 2 months. I'm wondering if this is a decent quality pipe and a good buy or not? The grain was so gorgeous and condition seemed excellent and I couldn't bear to not own it. I only paid about half of what my new Peterson cost... I'm not planning on leaving this on a shelf and showing it off, I'm going to love it and use it quite often. Just hoping this is a decent quality maker? I purchased with my heart, not my head, and know nothing about this brand or model of pipe. Thanks for any input on this one!

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
I guess I’m more concerned with the overall quality. After some brief research I’ve learned this is obviously not desirable or collectible like a pre-transition specimen, but I’m still hoping it’s a decent quality pipe. The waters are, um...murky...regarding materials and quality around this time period, from what I’ve seen online now. I guess I’ll just have to wait and see until I have it in my hands and smoke it! For the record I paid $59 flat. If it’s not stellar I won’t be heartbroken at that price.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Looks to be a nice post-transition example.

$59 is a fair price. If you find it feels nice in the mouth and smokes with no complaints its (nearly)priceless.

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Thanks for the input! Still trying to find tobaccos I like, planning to break this in with a tin of Mac Baren HH Old Dark Fired over the holidays and see what that does for me.

spartacus

Lifer
Nov 7, 2018
Mesa, Arizona
If it smokes good you got a great deal. If not, then you didn't.
I have an Ashton that I paid good money for that I don't smoke that much. I just don't really care for it like some other middle of the road pipes. I am more of a pipe smoker than a pipe collector. I spend money on tobacco and not a lot on pipes. I have found certain brands and certain lines within those brands I gravitate to.

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Fair point, Spartacus. I guess I have to hope this smokes well. I’m a very novice pipe smoker but I’m hoping this proves enjoyable to me. The pictures make it look stunning and I’d very much like to become a fan of this era of Barling pipes. For as cheap as they are I’d buy a few more for sure! I think I’ve got the estate bug now. I’ve been drooling over new pipes but I didn’t realize you could get nice looking estates for so cheap compared to new Pete’s, Savinelli’s, etc. I’m excited to get this In hand and pack a bowl!

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
wondering if this is a decent quality pipe and a good buy or not
For 59 smackers, You Got. A Deal! Barling lovers (Yeah, I'm one, I admit up front.), along with Orlik & BBB, are fiercely proud of their brand & their mystiques, & for good reason. There is just something undeniably damnably BRITISH about all three.
For the absolute authoritative skinny, as tschiraldi said, see Jesse (sablebrush54). He is T_H_E Bard of Barlings; if he don't know it, it can't be known.
Vis-a-vis the other, yeah, once you've got the estate bug, forever will it dominate your destiny. And no, that ain't a bad thing. };) Consider the source when it comes to that POV, though: I've only bought I think 40-some in the last year. :twisted:
Bill

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
You did great! There’s a myth that every Barling made after the family era is junk. A lot of really superb pipes were still being made and yours could easily be one. This pipe was made in the ‘60’s in the Barling factory. The Garnet Grains replaced the Ye Olde Wood line.

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
You guys are a wealth of knowledge! Thanks so much. This beauty is set to arrive on Christmas Eve, I’ll certainly give it a test drive and see how it performs. I’ve only ever smoked my one Peterson so I’m not a great judge of what makes a pipe a “good smoker” I don’t think. Hell, I’m still learning to properly pack my bowls and not tamp them to death. At any rate, I’ll post an update with a couple better pictures when I have it in hand.

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA

Update: The Barling has arrived and it is as lovely as I thought it would be! Much larger bowl than my other Peterson 313. Condition seems great, and it arrived a day earlier than expected! I've yet to smoke it but I've got some Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky drying out as we speak.

Status
Not open for further replies.