banner

Pipes Magazine » Pipe Talk

Tags:   

Calling The Bard: My Barling PAD Acquisition.

(43 posts)
  • Started 11 months ago by jaytex969
  • Latest reply from jpmcwjr
  1. jaytex969

jaytex969

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My sickness has been, for the most part, under control.

But, I was on eBay, minding my own business, when....

It attacked me. I ran. It pursued. I added it to my watch list as a delay tactic. That bought me a day or so.

I justified my avoidance by mentally attacking the seller. Others have said they suck, after all. But, 917 feedback this year, all good except one neutral?? It's hard to please that many keyboard commandos in this day and age. Besides, all the accusations I read were kind of old. And, a few people I respect have said good things.

It lunged at me again from the shadows. Before I knew what happened, I had removed my credit card and stabbed it in the heart. The battle was over. In 5-45 days, we shall see who really won.

LINK with more pics.

Give it to me straight, Jesse. I can handle it.

Gunner, Black Frigate. Say "Hello" to my little friend!
    Posted 11 months ago #
  2. dmcmtk

dmcmtk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

1950's...no. 1970's...yes. The seller's dating is incorrect, and if it were correct, would they sell it for $35...

Dave
    Duke Street Irregular
    Posted 11 months ago #
  3. jaytex969

jaytex969

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Dave, as I am ignorant on the matter, could you explain further? Did I get a great deal or screwed?

Either way, Barlings are reputed to be reliably good smokers, so for that price, it can't be too bad.

(famous last words...)

Posted 11 months ago #
  4. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Hi Jay,

When you mentioned that the seller was somewhat controversial I knew who you meant. Dave is correct that the pipe is from the 1970's not the 1950's. It was made after the Barling factories were closed, at a time that Imperial was subcontracting to several British companies, including Charatan and Oppenheimer, to produce pipes stamped with the Barling name. Also, the BB&S pipes were seconds. The stem is molded, not handmade. It may be a very good smoker. It looks to have not been abused. A Barling it is in stamping only.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 11 months ago #
  5. owen

owen

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Is it known when things changed? I have a Barling pipe which has all the same features as my Barling's Make. Great grain same button construction.

Posted 11 months ago #
  6. jaytex969

jaytex969

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

So the stamping to the right of the make, the C3/1, what is that indicating? Shape?

Thanks.

Posted 11 months ago #
  7. disinformatique

The Pipe Monk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Lol you bought from Shinypipes, lmao.

Albert Einstein was once quoted as saying, “I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs.” One of the reasons behind this statement is that pipe smoking is meant to be a slow leisurely activity. It takes patience to smoke a pipe. Unlike cigarettes and cigars, there is a certain amount of technique to smoking a pipe. Where cigars and cigarettes can just be picked up, lit and puffed on, pipes require the development of a technique in order to get the best smoking experience.
    Posted 11 months ago #
  8. jaytex969

jaytex969

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yes, I did. Fully aware of their reputation and willing to take a calculated risk.

Posted 11 months ago #
  9. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Is it known when things changed? I have a Barling pipe which has all the same features as my Barling's Make. Great grain same button construction.

I'd need to see the nomenclature on the pipe to which you are referring to offer any information about it.

The factories were shuttered in 1968 or 1969, IIRC. Pipe making was then outsourced to several London based companies before being outsourced to Nording. In some cases the outsourced pipes are pretty good replicas of Barling made pipes. In others the shapes are clearly in the style of the house making them. In 1980, Ron Harden rescued the company from oblivion by organizing an investment group to buy the rights and set up operations on the Isle of Man. A few years ago, Cup O Joes featured "Barling" pipes that were clearly made by Peterson.

Posted 11 months ago #
  10. scloyd

scloyd

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

What's the deal with Shiny Pipes? I have looked at their pipes on eBay. Never purchased though.

Posted 11 months ago #
  11. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

So the stamping to the right of the make, the C3/1, what is that indicating? Shape?

Maybe. It doesn't relate to any Barling shape number of which I'm familiar, but my knowledge of the later period is a bit sketchy. I'm slowly gathering information to attempt to provide more information for this period. Some of the Charatan made Barlings had something similar stamped on them, a G followed by numbers.

I have a few of these outsourced pipes and they've all been great smokers.

Here's the bottom line when looking for a Barling family made Barling pipe:

The logo is one of three options:

1. A block letter BARLING'S MAKE with the word Barling arched over the word make.
    2. A cursive BARLING'S, which is used only for the Guinea Grain grade and finish - NOTE that this is possessive with an apostrophe and an "s".
    3. A cursive BARLING that was used ONLY for a few filtered models and NOT for the Guinea Grain.

If the logo isn't one of these three types it's not a Barling family made Barling pipe.

Posted 11 months ago #
  12. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

What's the deal with Shiny Pipes? I have looked at their pipes on eBay. Never purchased though.

Let's just say that a couple of threads regarding them became so caustic that they were wiped from this site.

Posted 11 months ago #
  13. scloyd

scloyd

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Gotcha! Thanks

Posted 11 months ago #
  14. owen

owen

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the informative Sablebrush. I will post some pictures tomorrow. On a side note I have a severely beaten up Londoner which gets a lot of use.

Posted 11 months ago #
  15. owen

owen

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Double post. Bloody phone.

Posted 11 months ago #
  16. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

On a side note I have a severely beaten up Londoner which gets a lot of use.

The Londoner was a lower priced line of pipes. They can smoke quite well. Some of them were made by Nording.

Posted 11 months ago #
  17. owen

owen

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sablebrush if I may, are there any big Barling questions left to answer or is it now a matter of just confirming hunches and narrowing down details?

Posted 11 months ago #
  18. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

jay, so the lineage isn't so much Barling. You didn't spend a lot. If it smokes well, it's a rather pleasing rendition of the classic cylindrical pot, managing to be lithe rather than blocky, and I think the saddle stem complements the package. It's about basket pipe price, so could be good if it smokes well. Some of those old English factory pipes are pretty good.

Posted 11 months ago #
  19. disinformatique

The Pipe Monk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Jay,

I was merely pulling your leg. That Pot looks fantastic.

Cheers,
    Chris

Posted 11 months ago #
  20. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Sablebrush if I may, are there any big Barling questions left to answer or is it now a matter of just confirming hunches and narrowing down details?

There are a lot of unanswered questions. New pipes and markings are still showing up. I'm trying to lock down when the model numbers were changed in the 1920's to the Nichols numbers and the 4 digit numbers that begin with a 1. I have a pretty good idea, but don't have enough info to have it locked. Also, Barling changed the numbers on some of their models in the '20's, but not all of them. There are references to catalogs going back as far as 1904, but the only one that has surfaced from the era before WW1 is the one that I restored and published. What might we learn from other company print sources? Dating a Barling that lacks hallmarks is still a matter of hunches, however informed. There's the question of whether the Barling Nibblick listed in a 1917 tobacconist's catalog is sandblast, like the late 1930's Nibblick that showed up a couple of years ago. At least we now know what a Barling Nibblick is. Proof that Barling was sandblasting as early as 1917 would be very interesting. One of the stories circulating in the collectors world is that Barling was the earliest to use sandblasting and that Dunhill stole the credit. Until a Barling sandblast dateable to 1917 shows up, that remains a question. So, yeah, there's lots more to learn and a lot of answers being kept out of view.

Posted 11 months ago #
  21. jaytex969

jaytex969

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

No love lost, Monk. Just wanted to share that I DID do my homework.

If she photo-shopped out a fill or pit, I won't lose sleep.

If the chamber is coated with something nasty, however, we gonna have words. It's only 230 miles from Austin to Laredo...

I will provide a full report upon receipt.

Posted 11 months ago #
  22. wyfbane

wyfbane

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Really nice looking pipe for $35, whomever the seller is. Congrats. Hope it smokes as good as it looks.

Posted 11 months ago #
  23. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

This patent era Linkman's Dr Grabow came from shinypipes for $25. Sometimes they're not bad if you know what you are looking at.

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 11 months ago #
  24. thomasw

thomasw

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Jay,

Nice thick walls on that pot. Some of the older style of pots had rather thin briar chambers. So be happy about that. Even if it is not from a more cherished era, still it may smoke like a badass. And for the cost ... no loss to you either way.

After some time he felt for his pipe. It was not broken, and that was something. Then he felt for his pouch, and there was some tobacco in it, and that was something more. Then he felt for matches and he could not find any at all, and that shattered his hopes completely.

The Hobbit
    Posted 11 months ago #
  25. matchstickman

Pipe Novelist

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Shiny pipes caused a rather scandalous Calabash dilemma for me a few Christmases ago. They were so shady in their dealings that I had to turn the whole thing over to (and I'm going to get this wrong so someone please correct me here) The Ebay Resolution Center or some such thing like that. Once I turned them over to Ebay they changed their tune real quick. Honestly, as shady as they seem I'm surprised that they're even operational at this point.

But from the looks of it, if you only dropped $35 I'd say you didn't do too bad. Lord knows I dropped way more than that on a Calabash that was in such S#!& shape that I couldn't even draw a flame down into the bowl.

Posted 11 months ago #
  26. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That's a truly nice looking classical Pot Shape,just nice proportions.

Paul The Scandinavian'
    Posted 11 months ago #
  27. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Gorgeous. I'm with you & the others -- if all you dropped on it was a tank of gas & it's not a basket case when you get it, I'd say you done all right, brother! Provenance be damned, I'm with Tom; that's a nice distinctive rendering!

Head Black Frigate keelhauler, boss powder monkey, & troublemaker 1st class.
    Posted 11 months ago #
  28. jaytex969

jaytex969

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Dang. Now I feel bad. That's 11 tanks of gas for my scooter. What have I done?

Posted 11 months ago #
  29. doctorbob

doctorbob

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Heck, it is only $35, it would be hard to go wrong as long as it doesn't explode!

Doc

Posted 11 months ago #
  30. jaytex969

jaytex969

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Pipe schrapnel--The new menace.

Think of the children....

Jay

Posted 11 months ago #
  31. thomasw

thomasw

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

A tank of gas for 35$ -- holy petrol prices, sometimes I forget that I live in the one of the most expensive places in North America ... 154.9 / L yesterday!

Posted 11 months ago #
  32. jaytex969

jaytex969

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

So, the pipe got here awfully quick. Turns out it shipped not from Laredo, but from somewhere in my town.

I'm currently smoking some Maple Twist and working up a first impression.

As for the condition and the seller's portrayal of such, the pipe gets a B and the seller a C. The seller is definitely skilled at "optimizing photography" in her favor. Many sellers will intentionally detail every nick. Many will obscure them. She chose the latter.

No deal breakers for me, but for the sake of critical analysis, I submit the following.

The rim has several light dents from tapping. Her photo #5 on eBay shows none. My pic catches them easily.

There are two pits on the left side of the pipe. In her photo number 2, the left mark is invisible and the right easy to overlook as a color variation to us novices.

On closer inspection, what I thought was a letter C looks more like a letter G, supporting Jesse's suggestion that this could be a Charatan made pipe.

On the bottom, there are additional, unexpected letters stamped, "IN PEEL". I suspect there may have been more before the "IN" part at some point, just a guess. I'm certainly interested in your theories and/or knowledge here.

The pipe is medium in wieght for its size and comfortable to clench. The bowl reaming is even and round. The bit it a good shape and size for me. As Thomas implied, the thick walls kept heat at bay. I believe I will enjoy smoking this pipe.

The "character marks" don't bother me at all. The fact that the seller was able to disguise them so well and chose to do so annoys me but "buyer beware" and "people suck", etcetera.

So, once again, the pipe scores a "B" and the Shiny seller a "C".

Finally, to support my later comments, I filled up the commuter vehicle for the week.

The pipe DID cost me 11.55 tanks of gas!

Posted 11 months ago #
  33. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It'd be very interesting if you'd post the pictures in this thread that show the, uh, subterfuge....

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 11 months ago #
  34. beefeater33

beefeater33

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Jay-
    The "IN PEEL" is what's left (after buffing/wear) of "JOHN PEEL"............. Google is your friend here, lot's of references concerning the B.B.& S. connection...............

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dream..."
    Willy Wonka
    Posted 11 months ago #
  35. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

John Peel was a very popular record producer, radio presenter and DJ on the BBC for many, many years. He was one of the most influential people in the Britain's rock/punk/you name it music scene during the '70's. I have a Barling John Peel pipe that was gifted to me many years ago. Pretty good smoker!

The Photoshopping of images continues in the grand tradition of Shineypipes.

Posted 11 months ago #
  36. jaytex969

jaytex969

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Didn't get around to any googling. Mama wanted dinner...

Thanks for the additional info!

Posted 11 months ago #
  37. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ah, sorry to have asked. I found the site after seeing your link. This photo most closely matches yours above showing the pits on the left side.

It's possible that the image wasn't Photoshopped, but through clever angles and clever lighting, the flaws were virtually invisible. Lighting seems to come from upper right, so that the bowl was barely illuminated. And a touch of soft focus to seal the deal....

Posted 11 months ago #
  38. noseflute

noseflute

Login to Send PM

I have the exact same shape (but from an earlier time)

Posted 11 months ago #
  39. User has not uploaded an avatar

paulfg

Login to Send PM

isnt this the critisism that always comes up re this seller.hiding flaws/non disclosure.
    I bought a pre republic Peterson and when it arrived it had a replacement tenon fitted,not disclosed.I didnt keep that pipe,moved it on with fully disclosure.

Posted 11 months ago #
  40. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

isnt this the critisism that always comes up re this seller.hiding flaws/non disclosure.

That's correct. And some people have good experiences with her. For me, the latter is meaningless. A chain is only as strong as its weakest link, and this chain has a lot of weak links. Of course, it would be hard to spot the weak links since they've all been Photoshopped.

Posted 11 months ago #
  41. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Looks like very close to those early Peterson 606 Pot Shape,I had one once but did not like the chamber size, it was way too broad to my liking.

Posted 11 months ago #
  42. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"tank of gas for 35$ -- holy petrol prices" -- Well, I admit I use premium, but still....

Posted 11 months ago #
  43. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

BTW, Jay, I'll keep the relative tank difference in mind the next time I use this as a yardstick. }:)

Posted 11 months ago #
  44. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Dang. It's hit me: I had a little pot Barling just like the shiny one, but in better condition. When and where it parted my company I do not know. Now I recall several pipes that got lost from 50 years ago- a "Le Pipe"- no loss; the Barling pot; another Barling, a military mount billiard, and a bent Pete system pipe- or maybe a knock off of same. Funny how some memories take a while to surface!

Posted 11 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   judcole