PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
So this came up in another thread:
Not all shag cuts are RYO, or designed as "hybrids" that you can hand-roll as well as put in a pipe.
Some are preferred by pipe smokers because if you are loading and smoking while in motion or in an otherwise chaotic circumstance, shag cuts make it easy. They also seem to leave less moisture in the pipe.
Two of my favorites, Kendal Dark and Dark Birdseye, are shag cuts.
So is Five Brothers, a hybrid that is perfect for Burley fanatics.
I did not like Three Sails, D&R's inferior knockoff of Three Castles, but I am told by reputable sources that other D&R products are worth exploring.
One of the Vincent Manil Semois blends comes in a shag cut.
I am sure there are others.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I forgot the easy-burn cut on 1Q. There's a reason it is at the top of the market: tastes like a marshmallow, smokes like a dream, and enough nicotine to put you on the floor if you measure under one foot tall.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Le Petite Robin is the Tabac-Manil Semois shag cut. I think it has another tobacco besides the burley variant in the other medium and thick cut single leaf versions. It's a good blend, though I like the single leaf thick and medium cut best.

jravenwood

Can't Leave
Apr 23, 2017
Second vote for - And so to bed. Ill smoke some 1-Q as long as its a 50/50 mix with Lane BCA!

kanse

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2016
Kendal Kentucky is Birdseye without Virginia.
There is also Wilke 010 and some Esoterica Blends.
As far as DR goes, they don't do true Shags, at least not for pipes. Their cut is more of a ribbon.

Picayune was quite a nice blend, still.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
One I forgot, Grousemoor. It is a very thin ribbon bordering on shaggy, if not a thickish shag. Also, is KK worth a try compared to dark Birdseye or not?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
youdancer's right, and how could we forget Five Brothers, that lovely burley jolt.

allthebass

Might Stick Around
May 7, 2017
Bettendorf, IA
Rattray's Red Raparee. Honestly I haven't smoked a tin of this for quite a while and tobaccoreviews.com has it listed as a "Mixture" cut but I recall it being as least as fine ribbon cut as the Germain ribbon blends and bordering on shag cut. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, have a new tin in the cellar but it's been a while.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Thermonuclear devastation
So that's what they call tobacco stronger than "Very Strong."
I do not find Five Brothers to be that strong, but nicotine sensitivity varies, as does Burley sensitivity.
Five Brothers is great if you mix in a strong Virginia like... er... Royal Yacht.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
All of the GH&Co shag cuts are stellar! Dark Bird's Eye and Kendal Dark Vanilla being my favorite. Northstar is pretty good too.
The new Vincent Manil is just too shag, man. It's more shag than shag... it's shaggy!
It seems that some pipe smokers are put off by shag cuts, they seem to think that automatically means that they are RYO blends. Not true.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Kendal Gold Banana just recently found its way into my collection. Shag cut and very pleasant.

Status
Not open for further replies.