PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Now Folks Allow me to bring to your attention, that many of traditional Dutch/Hollad pipetobaccos are just shagh thin ribbon cuts, to name a few, Clan, HeerenBai, Schippers, Voortreker, there are many of these type tobaccos among old school central European blend, especially French, Belgium and Dutch, various Caporal Export,and Semois out there, but I'm coming to conclusion they decling in popularity,all these smokes pretty fast and often are offering a good nic kick,,

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Rimboche A.P., TwoTimer, Picayune from D&R are well worth having on hand. (I don't think they produce a 'dog' in this line.)

PS702 is a terrific codger style burley cut slightly coarser than PA and rich, dark and sweet.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Anyone care to explain the difference twixt 'ribbon cut' and 'shag cut'?
Is ribbon perhaps a broader cut than a thin shag?
FWIW, I'm probably missing out on many pleasant blends because I tend to avoid ribbon/shag cut tobaccos as I find they burn far too quickly. Just smoked my first bowl of (gifted) Anniversary Cake and it was gone in no time. Give me a flake any day.
Regards,
Jay.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
I am not sure if it is the official definition, but yes for me its just width of cut that determines ribbon or shag. I like smoking many of the typical ribbon cut blends but the few shag cuts I have tried (5 brothers and kendal mixture are the two I can remember) I could not get to burn slow enough to enjoy.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
For me, by far, Esoterica Tilbury.

It does have some broken stoved flake mixed in but it's primarily shagged so I consider it as such. I could smoke it every day.

Oct 7, 2016
@deathmetal, the last Five Brothers I smoked came in a paper pouch. I have recovered fairly well, all things considered. A friend who smoked it recently told me it was toned down, but still an ass kicker.I remember vaguely, many years ago, discussing with some other victims whether the nic hit was the only thing going on. As we were all drunk, the theories were quite creative.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Since it has been mentioned many times, here is a picture of And So To Bed with some plume on it:
4ZCwq12.jpg

Reactions: Steeeve

exterminatewho

Might Stick Around
Apr 15, 2017
I've been smoking some D&R Ryback (bought a pound of it about 3 weeks ago) and I have to say it's not bad. I was afraid it would be harsh, hot smoking, and just overall not enjoyable due to the shag cut (never smoked a shag cut before), but it turned out okay. I liked it enough to buy 8 oz of Ryback Gold. They're a pretty straightforward burley blend, but the gold version is definitely sweeter and burns a little bit hotter.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Hmm, some wish list items here. I also enjoy Drum and might have to score some for cob smoking...

theloniousmonkfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2017
Stokkebye Amsterdam Shag is nice, there's a pipe cut version too. Heard enough good about Drum I need to check it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.