PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldmaus

Can't Leave
Nov 20, 2010
I have noted several mentions by some of you more seasoned pipers about blending PA and SWR and other OTC's. I am interested in recommended homemade "blends" to try. I have both PA and SWR available in my cellar.
As a side note I mixed a bit of Butternut Burley and Autumn Evening the other day and that was tasty. I think it was 50-50.

oldmaus

Can't Leave
Nov 20, 2010
There are a few tidbits in there. I am interested in the burley blend creations that a few guys commonly use. Some tried and true combos.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
One that I have been enjoying with greater than average pleasure lately is:

"Red Velvet?" (can't get it here) and a sliced up Macanudo cigar. It is very dry, and tasty with a serious Vitamin N kick.

puffintuff

Can't Leave
Dec 14, 2010
I'm no expert, but a 50/50 blend of Prince Albert and Capt. Black works for me. Cuts down on the aromatic and still gives you a mellow nicotine fix.

mrjerke

Lifer
Jun 10, 2013
Midwest
After blending some EMP and Lunchtime Blues today I thought I'd rehash this thread.
Anyone have and awesome homemade blend they'd like to share?

joeahearn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 30, 2012
Here are two "home blends" I make frequently and enjoy:
Home Blend #1. 1/2 well-aged McClelland 5100 (Red Virginia) and 1/2 well-aged McClelland 2015 (Virginia/Perique flake).
Home Blend #2. 1/3 well-aged McClelland 5100 (Red Virginia), 1/3 well-aged McClelland 5105 (Stoved Black Virginia), and 1/3 Prince Albert.

Aug 1, 2012
My new favorite blend is 1Q (or most other aros from my cellar), Five Brothers and a healthy pinch of Latakia. The proportions are not hard and fast but I usually do 2/3 aro, 1/3 Five Brothers and a healthy pinch (or 3) of blending lat. I came up with it because I had an aro that was really wet and the 5 bros and lat were bone dry. I mixed them up, put the mix in a jar for a week and it only took a little drying from there. The wifey loves the room note and the flavor is complex and heavenly. Not too bad in the vitamin N department either.

soggycitybob

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2013
Portland, OR
I really find that Carter Hall is a good, smooth, and cool smoke so I like to mix about 1/3 of CH with all may aros like 1Q, Captain Black Dark or Royal, and Mac Baren 7 Seas Dark.

professorwheezy

Might Stick Around
Jul 3, 2013
I have a mix that was complimented on the other night at a cigar event. I loaded up my pipe and smoked away and a guy at another table turned around. At first I thought maybe he was annoyed at my intrusion with a pipe but he turned around a second time and walked over. I asked is it bothering you and he said "No, smells awesome". He sat down and we talked awhile. He's a piper too. ANYWAY - It is a house cherry, house vanilla, Carter Hall, Midnight vanilla black cav, House Blended Cav, and Golden Va mix. I'm not a huge aro smoker so I'm trying to use up some of what I had laying around. Sort of like the Best of the Rest Concept. Now I'll be adding Lane Hazelnut, BCA, BLWB (out of carter Hall), and Black Raspberry to it. The pouch changes everytime I mix a little more up.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
These summer days and nights I find myself adding a pinch or two of Lane's BL/WB to all my aromatics.

mlyvers

Can't Leave
Sep 23, 2012
Hey guys, I like the blending ideas here. They sound good to me, I do the same thing, I am always mixing different tobaccos together, usually I mix the last portions of tobaccos together. It`s part of the fun of our hobby.
Mike.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
50-50 of Old Toby and Treebeard is really good from the Middle Earth line of Just For Him.

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
I like mixing Scotty's Butternut burley with just about anything. My favorite mix is SBB and Newminster Blackberry Brandy 50:50.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
I like a 50/50 blend of Magnum Opus and Larry's Blend. I call it Dirty Larry.

It retains the chamaeleon nature of the Magnum Opus but with a nice up front lat presence.
Ren

Status
Not open for further replies.