Tags:   

Estate Pipe Cleaning, Swollen Briar?

(7 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by jjm1
  • Latest reply from sablebrush52
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

jjm1

Login to Send PM

I am having quite the time figuring out how to remedy a situation here and would appreciate advice... Early in the week I began working on some estate pipes and did a salt and alcohol treatment on 4 pipes. Now I cannot get the once well fitting stems back onto the pipes. Same situation happened about a year ago and I cracked the shank of a pipe trying to force the stem back on, maybe even after placing it in the freezer for a bit. If I wait it out will the briar eventually shrink back down? Is there a quicker way of fixing it?

Thanks,
    jjm

Posted 2 years ago #
  2. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Wait.

In future, just leave the stems in.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  3. samcoffeeman

samcoffeeman

Login to Send PM

You have to take the stem out to clean properly. Let the pipes dry out overnight before replacing the stems.

Posted 2 years ago #
  4. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sam, I disagree. Of course the stem is removed to clean the mortise, but if they're replaced right away, there's no need to leave unassembled at all. And doing so for any length of time risks they could dry too much, leaving a fit too loose.

Posted 2 years ago #
  5. danielplainview

dave g

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Try rubbing a pencil lead all around a tennon that doesn't want to go back in. If that doesn't help, don't force it. Let it dry out for a few days and try again.

Make aromatics great again.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  6. chasingembers

chasingembers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

I always leave out the stems when using salt and alcohol. A few days of drying, and they're fine.

I like coffee exceedingly.
    - H. P. Lovecraft
    Posted 2 years ago #
  7. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Let them dry for a few day, or until the tenon goes in easily.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 2 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   warren, glassjapan, oldtoby, ben88, lightxmyfire, hoosierpipeguy, prairiedruid, bryans, redglow, lawayna, alan73, jpmcwjr, ssjones, marc75