PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjm1

Might Stick Around
Sep 4, 2014
I am having quite the time figuring out how to remedy a situation here and would appreciate advice... Early in the week I began working on some estate pipes and did a salt and alcohol treatment on 4 pipes. Now I cannot get the once well fitting stems back onto the pipes. Same situation happened about a year ago and I cracked the shank of a pipe trying to force the stem back on, maybe even after placing it in the freezer for a bit. If I wait it out will the briar eventually shrink back down? Is there a quicker way of fixing it?
Thanks,

jjm

samcoffeeman

Can't Leave
Apr 6, 2015
You have to take the stem out to clean properly. Let the pipes dry out overnight before replacing the stems.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Sam, I disagree. Of course the stem is removed to clean the mortise, but if they're replaced right away, there's no need to leave unassembled at all. And doing so for any length of time risks they could dry too much, leaving a fit too loose.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Try rubbing a pencil lead all around a tennon that doesn't want to go back in. If that doesn't help, don't force it. Let it dry out for a few days and try again.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I always leave out the stems when using salt and alcohol. A few days of drying, and they're fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.