Duplicate Pipes

(35 posts)
  • Started 5 months ago by sparrowhawk
  • Latest reply from Bill Nichols
  1. sparrowhawk

sparrowhawk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

No doubt this has been asked before, but I'm curious how common this practice is. Do you often buy a duplicate pipe of one you already own? For example, I have 2 Peterson Dracula 106's and 107's, as well as duplicate Irish Harps. When fortune allows, I hope to get a dup of my Waterford 106 because its simplicity is so appealing.

There is no beauty without some strangeness in proportion.
    Posted 5 months ago #
  2. haparnold

Hap

Login to Send PM

I'm drawn to certain shapes for sure. For example, even though I usually abhor the Danish design aesthetic, I love Stanwell's shape 139. I own two in this shape, and will probably get more. I think this is pretty common, but I don't recall seeing people with large collections of the same shape in the same finish. That's a whole new level of specialization.

De Gustibus Non Est Disputandum
    Posted 5 months ago #
  3. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I never get an exact duplicate but am certainly drawn to similar pipes. If you have a factory favorite, I think a duplicate is brilliant so you have a backup pipe. You never know when that line or pipe will stop being made.

Posted 5 months ago #
  4. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Embers has like 30-odd of the same shape I think.

As for me I like to mix it up with different shapes.

Posted 5 months ago #
  5. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Mostly, I'm a variety pipe guy. But I do have somewhat duplicative pipes of two brands and shapes, those being the Stanwell 32 bulldog, a smooth and a silke brune, and the Peterson B11 volcano bent sitter in a Killarney ebony and a Shannon, both smooth. I love the compactness and simplicity of the 32, and the commodious bowl and sitter aspect plus the bent clencher aspects of the B11's. They're regularly smoked.

Posted 5 months ago #
  6. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have a few duplicates of pipes that I absolutely loved at one time. But, then in having two of them, I liked them even less, and less, until I don't smoke them any more. Maybe a bit of psychology at play, but when you have a great smoker, getting more of them doesn't make you like that pipe even more.

Michael
    Posted 5 months ago #
  7. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That is a really interesting perspective, Cosmic. I always assumed I would appreciate a second one in case of something happening to the first, but have never actually done it. Sounds like it can work in reverse instead.

Posted 5 months ago #
  8. irishearl

irishearl

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

like variety too much to do that. So, I've never bought 2 pipes of the same shape/manufacture whether identical or with different finishes. Closest I've come is owning Peterson 20s and 11s pipes as the 20s is the same pipe as the 11s just smaller.

Posted 5 months ago #
  9. rogerrodger

rogerrodger

Login to Send PM

I am going to have duplicates in a sense of two each of two shape types of Falcon bowls--Dublin and apple--both in smooth and rusticated finishes. I like the size, feel, and cost($16.50 from GQ Tobacco) of the bowls I have. With shipping and tax added, I end up paying 20.07 apiece for the briar bowls.

The different bowl finishes will help me to identify them in my rotation. I just ordered the apple smooth and Dublin rusticated today. I assume that they will smoke similarly to the ones I have already.

Posted 5 months ago #
  10. wolflarsen

wolflarsen

Login to Send PM

I have two Savinelli 673s. One that stays on my work boat and one that stays at home. I also have a Sav 623 that's a very similar shape. They're my daily knock-around latakia pipes, probably the most heavily smoked pipes in my collection.

Posted 5 months ago #
  11. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

when you have a great smoker, getting more of them doesn't make you like that pipe even more

I love all of these.

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 5 months ago #
  12. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

Even have a London made one on the way as well.

Posted 5 months ago #
  13. tschiraldi

tschiraldi

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I just commissioned my 3rd 1/8 bent, oval shanked Brandy from Jesse Jones, on my quest for a 7 day set. I also have several Sasieni Straight Billiards. I know what I like.
    Tim

Posted 5 months ago #
  14. leafsmoker

leafsmoker

Login to Send PM

I was just wondering the same question. My answer is a very recent, YES! I have an Indian meerschaum and skull meerschaum that I have been using for aromatics. Recently I bought another Indian meer and another skull meer for my va/pers. I have not ever done this, but I am pleased I had the opportunity to do so. Happy piping!

The walls have ears, the windows have eyes, and the wise man tells no lies.
    You can offer someone a cigar, but you can never offer someone your pipe.
    Posted 5 months ago #
  15. dottiewarden

dottiewarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've got triplicate MM Cobs!

Dot
    Posted 5 months ago #
  16. 5star

5star

Login to Send PM

I only have duplicates in cobs and in clays

"You are remembered for the rules you break." - General Douglas MacArthur
    Posted 5 months ago #
  17. workman

workman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I haven't and I don't think I will. Same brand, overall shape, finish etc, but not the exact same, no.

Smoking is one of the leading causes of all statistics.
    Posted 5 months ago #
  18. raevans

raevans

Login to Send PM

For those that have duplicate pipes, do they smoke the same, one better than the other, break in time on them the same? I don't have any duplicates, (some that are close), just wondering if the duplication ends with the look or if it goes deeper.

Posted 5 months ago #
  19. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm not a big fan of factory pipes so it doesn't much apply. But I have no issue with duplicate shapes but probably wouldn't want an exact duplicate. And getting a duplicate doesn't guarantee the smoking quality will be duplicated.

Posted 5 months ago #
  20. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

For those that have duplicate pipes, do they smoke the same, one better than the other, break in time on them the same?

After thirty years, I really don't notice much difference in the way different pipes smoke anymore. I fell in love with the yachtsman shape purely out of its aesthetic appeal and only three out of my current set were unsmoked. All in my collection right now are Savinelli, but I do have a GBD yachtsman coming in the mail so I'll see if I find a difference there.

Posted 5 months ago #
  21. tschiraldi

tschiraldi

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My Jesse Jones Brandies are both sandblasted & the same shape & size, but different colors, one tan, one black. They smoke very much the same. Weight, balance, proportion, drilling seem identical. My next will be a smooth. I suppose only the quality of the block could make a difference, all else being equal.

Posted 5 months ago #
  22. trouttimes

trouttimes

Login to Send PM

I have dups in County Gentleman cobb because it is one of my favorites and I hate to wait for it to dry out

“The Road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began.
    Now far ahead the Road has gone, I must follow if I can
    Posted 5 months ago #
  23. nukesimi

nukesimi

Login to Send PM

I only buy Bulldogs, Billiards and Apples. I will buy up to four of the same all at once.

Posted 5 months ago #
  24. User has not uploaded an avatar

panamacharlie

Login to Send PM

I got an estate unsmoked Sav 2614, and fell in love withe it. Perfect weight and shape for clenching, and never a gurgle. A few months later I came across another one, and grabbed it because I heard Sav was not making any more Systems.

Years ago I got a Preben Ho0lm that I liked, so I got another one as a gift for my dad. I later inherited it.

These Pete's are pretty similar.

Posted 5 months ago #
  25. alan73

alan73

Login to Send PM

Embers : I swear you said your PAD was adequately fulfilled and you wouldn’t be buying anymore pipes

Posted 5 months ago #
  26. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

Embers : I swear you said your PAD was adequately fulfilled and you wouldn’t be buying anymore pipes

My wife ordered the GBD for my birthday next month. All of my money is geared toward barbering supplies and home improvement projects now.

Posted 5 months ago #
  27. alan73

alan73

Login to Send PM

My wife has been cutting my hair for a year or so, we have upgraded our barbering supplies as well

Posted 5 months ago #
  28. davet

davet

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've got duplicates of duplicates

Posted 5 months ago #
  29. onestrangeone

onestrangeone

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Not really, I have five different Apples and eight different Dublin’s but none of em are the same brand. Obviously I’m drawn to certain shapes but I do like variety,

Posted 5 months ago #
  30. unkleyoda

unkleyoda

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Same shape yes, exact duplicate, no.

So you say you can drink? Well, I'm from Wisconsin. Try to keep up.
    Posted 5 months ago #
  31. jaytex969

jaytex969

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My first "real" pipe was a Stanwell 185, black brushed finish.

I really like the way it smokes and clenches, so, when P&C had that insane sale months ago, I got another brushed 185, a brown one.

It went immediately into the strategic reserve box and has not been smoked. If my first one is ever compromised, I'll dig it out.

Gunner, Black Frigate. Say "Hello" to my little friend!
    Posted 5 months ago #
  32. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

Same shape yes, exact duplicate, no.

That's me with the yachtsmen. All from different lines, or if from the same line, different finishes. Then there's same line, same finish, but one a 904 and one a 9004.

Posted 5 months ago #
  33. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have duplicate shapes, but not really any duplicate shapes within the same line. Granted I DO have duplicate shapes in the Peterson Saint Patrick's Day line, but I don't think that really counts, as each year the pipes have a different look.

I just don't see any reason to own, for example, two Peterson Rosslare Royal Irish 106. Instead of buying another one of those, I'd rather add, for example, a Peterson Irish Harp 106.

Arrrrr, shiver me timbers! International Talk Like a Pirate Day is September the 19th!!!
    Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 5 months ago #
  34. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Referencing Cosmic's first post on this thread, about how multiple versions of a pipe made him like them less, it recalled ancient memories of an economics course I took and the principle of diminishing returns, where if you have two shirts and you buy two more, it makes any of the shirts half as valuable as the two you started with, a rough approximation, though it seems from the PAD phenomenon that this does not always work effectively with pipes.

Posted 5 months ago #
  35. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Often? No. Occasionally? Yes. I have a fondness for certain shapes (Lovats, bent bulldogs, bulldogs, & a couple of others) but most of the time I won't get an identical one. There've been a few, though, maybe 3-4 over the years, that I did get either another exactly like one I have, or the same shape from the same maker but a different model (Savinelli's 614 is one I really really like; currently I have 3 of them.)

Bill

Head Black Frigate keelhauler, boss powder monkey, & troublemaker 1st class.
    Posted 5 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   tufftony, paulfg