Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
No doubt this has been asked before, but I'm curious how common this practice is. Do you often buy a duplicate pipe of one you already own? For example, I have 2 Peterson Dracula 106's and 107's, as well as duplicate Irish Harps. When fortune allows, I hope to get a dup of my Waterford 106 because its simplicity is so appealing.

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
I'm drawn to certain shapes for sure. For example, even though I usually abhor the Danish design aesthetic, I love Stanwell's shape 139. I own two in this shape, and will probably get more. I think this is pretty common, but I don't recall seeing people with large collections of the same shape in the same finish. That's a whole new level of specialization.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
I never get an exact duplicate but am certainly drawn to similar pipes. If you have a factory favorite, I think a duplicate is brilliant so you have a backup pipe. You never know when that line or pipe will stop being made.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Mostly, I'm a variety pipe guy. But I do have somewhat duplicative pipes of two brands and shapes, those being the Stanwell 32 bulldog, a smooth and a silke brune, and the Peterson B11 volcano bent sitter in a Killarney ebony and a Shannon, both smooth. I love the compactness and simplicity of the 32, and the commodious bowl and sitter aspect plus the bent clencher aspects of the B11's. They're regularly smoked.

I have a few duplicates of pipes that I absolutely loved at one time. But, then in having two of them, I liked them even less, and less, until I don't smoke them any more. Maybe a bit of psychology at play, but when you have a great smoker, getting more of them doesn't make you like that pipe even more.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
That is a really interesting perspective, Cosmic. I always assumed I would appreciate a second one in case of something happening to the first, but have never actually done it. Sounds like it can work in reverse instead.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
like variety too much to do that. So, I've never bought 2 pipes of the same shape/manufacture whether identical or with different finishes. Closest I've come is owning Peterson 20s and 11s pipes as the 20s is the same pipe as the 11s just smaller.

rogerrodger

Lurker
Dec 7, 2018
I am going to have duplicates in a sense of two each of two shape types of Falcon bowls--Dublin and apple--both in smooth and rusticated finishes. I like the size, feel, and cost($16.50 from GQ Tobacco) of the bowls I have. With shipping and tax added, I end up paying 20.07 apiece for the briar bowls.
The different bowl finishes will help me to identify them in my rotation. I just ordered the apple smooth and Dublin rusticated today. I assume that they will smoke similarly to the ones I have already.

wolflarsen

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2018
I have two Savinelli 673s. One that stays on my work boat and one that stays at home. I also have a Sav 623 that's a very similar shape. They're my daily knock-around latakia pipes, probably the most heavily smoked pipes in my collection.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
when you have a great smoker, getting more of them doesn't make you like that pipe even more
I love all of these.
20180831_153509.jpg

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
I just commissioned my 3rd 1/8 bent, oval shanked Brandy from Jesse Jones, on my quest for a 7 day set. I also have several Sasieni Straight Billiards. I know what I like.

Tim

leafsmoker

Can't Leave
Oct 26, 2017
Indiana, USA
I was just wondering the same question. My answer is a very recent, YES! I have an Indian meerschaum and skull meerschaum that I have been using for aromatics. Recently I bought another Indian meer and another skull meer for my va/pers. I have not ever done this, but I am pleased I had the opportunity to do so. Happy piping!

raevans

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2013
For those that have duplicate pipes, do they smoke the same, one better than the other, break in time on them the same? I don't have any duplicates, (some that are close), just wondering if the duplication ends with the look or if it goes deeper.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I'm not a big fan of factory pipes so it doesn't much apply. But I have no issue with duplicate shapes but probably wouldn't want an exact duplicate. And getting a duplicate doesn't guarantee the smoking quality will be duplicated.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
For those that have duplicate pipes, do they smoke the same, one better than the other, break in time on them the same?
After thirty years, I really don't notice much difference in the way different pipes smoke anymore. I fell in love with the yachtsman shape purely out of its aesthetic appeal and only three out of my current set were unsmoked. All in my collection right now are Savinelli, but I do have a GBD yachtsman coming in the mail so I'll see if I find a difference there.

Status
Not open for further replies.