PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
So when I first started pipe smoking I grabbed what ever pipes I could get a hold of. I took the approach to pipes as most experts tell people to do with tobacco. I tried everything I could afford. I have since found what I am attracted to and have now actually felt compelled by the beauty of some pipes, like the one bigvan posted here. A truely beautiful pipe. I am now in the search to refine my collection and make it a reflection of my tastes.
In diving into the pipe world one is bombarded with certain emotions to specific brands, as with anything out there (Chevy vs Ford). One of these brands in the pipe world, time and time again, that seems to create the most animosity amongst people is Dunhill. There is a huge following of the brand and whole websites dedicated to the dating and history of the brand. There is also many detractors out there who just plain don't like the brand and label it as "just another factory pipe."
I just haven't seen a Dunhill that moved me in the way other pipes have, until recently. Another member here, tbradsim1, posted some pictures here of his most recent acquisition. It is a very beautiful pipe. It moved me so much to the point where I took a deeper look at the Dunhill brand again (also in the hopes on finding a similar one).
In my search I came across some Dunhills I wouldn't mind having, but nothing that moved me in the way tbradsim1's did. What I did find was curious to me. Often the value placed on an object is a subjective matter. Something is not worth any more then someone is willing to pay for it. Now to the point of my rambling. My question to those who are very passionate about Dunhills is what is the allure of the brand? Is it the quality you feel is unequaled? Is it the history of the brand? Is it the mass appeal and following?
I have seen many Dunhill's on a certain auction site in the past few weeks that are just absolute junk sell for ridiculous sums of money. Pipes that I felt, it if didn't say "Dunhill" on it, wouldn't have not even gotten any where near the sell price. I have also seen beautiful gorgeous pipes sell for far less that weren't Dunhill's.
I know what aesthetically pleases me will be much different than to others, but to me it seems like Dunhill in the pipe world seems to have a "in" thing about it much like Apple or Nike products do with today's youth. Am I missing something?
My personal pipe tastes tend to lean toward the radical shapes that I can not afford yet. Currently my collection is filling with many of the higher end Savinelli's and other Italian pipe makers. I am also very attracted to the many American carvers that bigvan and cigarmaster rave about.
So fill me in guys. What am I missing? What's is all about?
Note: I am honestly wanting to understand the mass appeal to this brand and in no way interested in any controversy or ugliness. I am looking for meaningful conversation. I am also interested in opinions and conjectures, so please no attacking for different POVs.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
Exclusivity and brand myth! I have three and they really don't smoke any better than pipes that cost half as much. What you get for your money is membership in a collective nostalgia for olde Brittania. I'm not knocking them, I will continue to purchase them as estates, but as I said I appreciate the olde England aesthetic.

gnatjulio

Lifer
Mar 22, 2012
New York
Now that you mention it, I was interested in a birthyear Dunhill. Or so I thought. Upon closer assessment I don't believe there is really anything about it, aside from all the love they get, that would motivate me to spend $200 bucks on a used 45 yo pipe. Tho they are nice.

metarzan

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 14, 2012
Their are some nice Dunhill's out there but some don't look like much more than a block of wood. Just like the Boy Scouts pine car races, it is usually the block of wood with wheels that wins the race and not the fancy car the engineer dad "helped" build.

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
Dunhill has been around for quit some time. They date their pipes for one thing. Not many that I know of show

when they were made. I have nine Dunhills, all estate pipes and I'm always looking to get another if a good

deal can be made. Yes, sometimes they are over rated and over priced, but a decent deal can fall in your lap

if your diligent. Dunhill gave away pipes to British Officers during WWll. I'm sure every Dunhill isn't the

perfect pipe to be had, but I want more of them as I can get them. I'll never own a Roll-Royce, but I can own

a Dunhill. It's kinda hard to ex-plane.... but to own a Dunhill is to set back and say "I wonder what the poor

folks are smokin'?" and then just smile to yourself..........

Reactions: Dandy Pipesmoker

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Eagle the reason I bought that pipe is in my younger days I would help my Grandmothers nephew dip and dehorn cattle at Jefferson Island the salt dome, they had about 200 acres and once a year they would have a roundup. , the younger folks were given plugs to ride, but the Boss (Goose) had a big red roan that this Dunhill reminded of, big, chunky so ibought it after talking to Dave Wolf of Walker Briar, he said it was a 500$ pipe, I got it for 377$, I like very much, that being said, Savorys an English pipe which I have 3 , are just as good a smokers at a fraction of the cost, it's just like Rolex, all they do is tell time, when I was in special forces the Navy gave me one , wore it thru combat only to have a bulldozer in civilian life kill it, laid it on the track to weld the pan, forgot it and the rest is history, it's not that tough, in 1985 I had the money and bought an Explorer Rolex, but really it just tells time, that's my story and I"m sticking to it. The old cajun

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
@tbradsim1...As always a great story. To me, I really like your most recent Dunhill, but I am wanting to make sure I like it as a pipe and not just because it is a Dunhill. I really like big chunky pipes and really like cumberland stems. The combination on your pipe was just perfect to me. Combine it with the rustication, which I prefer and if it were bent would be my dream pipe.
But, when I was searching for a similar pipe I found I wondered down a path of Dunhill's and not of similar in general and that is what to my original post. In my search I ended up looking for a Dunhill, not a pipe.
The Rolex comparison is a great parallel that I meant to include. I had it my thoughts yesterday I was thinking about doing this post.

gray4lines

Nov 6, 2012
KY
I do not own any, nor am I really in the market right now... but I think the name and quality assurance are what would convince me to buy one. It's nice to buy a brand that you KNOW makes quality stuff. Is there a poor Dunhill out there? Probably. But I bet they are few and far between. Of course there are other brands in the same price range that'd I feel equally confident in (with no firsthand experience yet) like Castello's, Ser Jacapo, Ashton, and others...
Also, I am drawn to the tradition and history of the company. Again, for me, it points back to a good product, as to why they are still around.
I do happen to like the style of them as well. I think some of them are very classy, but I can't see them ever dominating my collection.
If I were in the market for a solid English pipe, I probably would save and spring for a Dunhill or Ashton. (I would probably only want one or two).

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
@TopD
but to own a Dunhill is to set back and say "I wonder what the poor

folks are smokin'?" and then just smile to yourself..........
:rofl: Now that's some honesty.
I'll never own a Roll-Royce, but I can own

a Dunhill.
They should make that their slogan. lol

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
In my mind, the only bad Dunhill is an old beat-up-pipe or a forgery. As with anything in high demand, you

have to be on the watch for them. If your lookin' at a pipe and aren't sure, ask.
(Thanks eaglerico) :)

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
I have 3 other Dunhills, a 1944 Dead root, 1961 ODA Panel Shell, and a 1963 She'll and I really like them. As always you can"t beat a Marine for telling it like it is, and with Tops experience with pipes you can take what he says to the Bank the old cajun

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
One other thing I forgot to mention.... There are several pipe names out there, like Parker.... They

were made at Dunhill, but didn't pass the quality standards of a Dunhill Pipe and were sold to be marketed

under another name.
(Thanks Bradley... really appreciated!)
How about a photo of the '44 Dead Root!

loneredtree

May 27, 2011
Sierra Foothills
You have read many of the posts about the Dunhill pipes. I think the sum of these are that while they are good pipes the price they bring are excessive. I own 2 shell Dunnys from the 60s and liberated one that I let go. They are all good smokers so I think that you will not go wrong buying one. The new ones that I have seen I like if they are smooth. I do not like the new shell finished ones. They are classic shapes.
The allure of the name is similar to that for pipe smoking in general. Maybe it is a connection with the past or a nostalgia associated with a simpler time. If that does not move you, then, as the old Cajun said, you can find good pipes at half the price.
Happy Puffing.

colesradioactive

Might Stick Around
Apr 3, 2012
I have a few (3) that are on the smaller side (group 2, and 3) purchased as estates and while I do notice they smoke fairly dry, and have an open draw, I don't feel like they're a big value like the Rad Davis pipe I have. Personally, if you were looking to spend $350+ on a pipe I would go with a Rad Davis pipe. As stated, I have 1 an have 2 more on the way. I'm sure he could make one very similar to the Dunhill that you favor of tbradsim1

undermidnight

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2012
As always you can"t beat a Marine for telling it like it is
My wife must have been a Marine in a previous life.. :)
EDIT: to keep my post on-topic. I hope to own a Dunhill someday.
Jason

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Am I missing something?
I don't own a Dunhill, but I have little doubt that they are a cut above.
That said, I agree with you, I think some of the ones on auction are over valued. I also see Dunhill's that look like hell (burned away rims and chewed up stems, etc) going for ridiculous sums. At the same time, I see some that are solid deals, even if still over my budget.
I don't fault anyone who owns one since I would like to own one myself some day, but I do think the ones who are paying the crazy prices I see on ebay are sometimes falling for the mystique of the brand.
On top of that, every so often I read someone who says that their Dunhill wasn't any better than a $100 Sav, so personally I don't intend on buying one unless I win the lottery (which won't happen since I never play) or find one super cheap (and that seems an even longer shot!)

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
Exclusivity and brand myth! I have three and they really don't smoke any better than pipes that cost half as much. What you get for your money is membership in a collective nostalgia for olde Brittania. I'm not knocking them, I will continue to purchase them as estates, but as I said I appreciate the olde England aesthetic.
That's as succinct an answer as I've seen in the neverending Dunhill discussions.

Reactions: gamzultovah

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
As you grow older, acquire your household nick-nacks in life, as you near retirement or do win the lottery, you'll want a Dunhill.

Mark my word.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
A loose theme in my pipe collection is pipes from different countries. Can't think of a better example to represent jolly old England than a Dunhill. I hope to find that right one someday.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I have a 69 Shell and it's a solid, well-constructed pipe. It's an attractive piece of wood that's good for a sweet, consistent smoke any time. The rest is a really good job at branding and marketing. I will also add that it's nice to have a pipe on which you can place a date. I paid $100 and I think that price is more than fair for what I got.

Status
Not open for further replies.