PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

irishjedi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 31, 2013
Question, do you prefer your Nightcap aged or do you "pop" open the tin and go from there? I ask do to I have had a about 3 bowls and I think it could use some "sitting" time. Thoughts?
Mike

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Nightcap is a daily smoke for me and the only "sitting" time it gets is about 45 minutes on the drying pad.
You've raised a good point though. Most Lat forward blends mellow with age and it might be fun to set a few tins aside and, after putting reminders in MS Outlook, pop a tin in six, twelve and eighteen month increments.
Fnord

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I find the Latakia and nicotine a little strong right from an opened tin, although to be honest, I go ahead

anyway. But the blend really gains its full range of flavors when it's been opened for several days. Just

opened, it is a nice kick. After a few days, it is an excellent blend. In my opinion.

erichbaumer

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
I've never tried it aged, though I do have a tin that's been sitting around for something close to two years, and the next one on the block is probably going to hit six months before I open it. Looking forward to trying the older one sometime soon, or later, depending. May be nice to save it another year and a half and pop it when I graduate next year-I'll definitely post something about it whenever I do get around to it.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
Nightcap will kick you in the nose, but the smoke itself I think is just fine fresh out of the tin. I don't smoke it everyday, but having read posts like this, I have no plans to try and protect it from mellowing. Let it breathe!

rmason

Jan 27, 2013
Sounds like another good Dunhill blend I will have to give it a try now.

~Ron

rmason

Jan 27, 2013
Roth that sound weird coming from you since it seems like you smoke primarily Englishes.

~Ron

marinecwby

Might Stick Around
Aug 24, 2013
Never tried the "nightcap", but on my list. Early morning pipe(Dunhill) is one Ive had before, and its a kick in the pants get going English for sure. Ill try her out, but I like to go more mellow in the evening. MC

Dec 24, 2012
I recall vividly my first experience trying Nightcap. I was a quarter of the way through the bowl when the Nicotine began to take effect. Very quickly I felt like the village drunkard in some early Irish novel. Sweat poured down my brow. I had blurred vision, no balance, and a numb tongue. The connection between my body and my brain was completely severed. My head was a mere husk. Soon, I thought, I would begin praying for the sweet relief that only a quick and uncompromising death can bring.
And then everything changed. My fear turned to exhilaration. I had one of those rare moments in life that can only be described as an epiphany. I was overcome by an incredible calming sensation. A moment before there were gnarly bats fluttering around my forehead, and then suddenly those hideous creatures were transmogrified into glorious doves.
I came close to the ledge and escaped with only the barest margin, and for that, I am all the stronger.
It is difficult to explain the experience but it is one I shall never forget. Make sure you are ready for Nightcap.

rmason

Jan 27, 2013
Peck are you sure it was Nightcap in your pipe and not something else. :wink:

~Ron

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
I came close to the ledge and escaped with only the barest margin, and for that, I am all the stronger
I have some nightcap in a mason jar from several months ago-I'm going to have to try it again!

wahoo92

Lurker
Jul 26, 2013
As a new pipe smoker, I have found Nightcap to be one of my faves. Haven't experienced the nic hit others talk about, but I find it to be an easy smoke-to-the-bottom blend that gives me zero tongue bite. Very smooth and perhaps a good intro to Latakia for some. Should be a go-to for me for years to come.

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
I suspect I'm in the extreme minority here, and I hope I don't offend anyone, but I don't like Nightcap, or Mixture 965. I only bought a tin of each because of of the rave comments on this site. In fact I don't normally buy any ready-rubbed. In these two examples at least, the nic kick just isn't there. I prefer strong tobaccos; if I'm looking for Latakia I'll go for a SG or GH Balkan Flake; if I'm looking for Va sweetness I'll go for BBF or FVF and if I'm looking for nic power I'll go for GH Dark Flake or one of my ropes. I just don't get the same satisfaction from the so-called English blends!
Each to his own, as Roth says, and a new pipe smoker must tread carefully, or head for the vomitorium LOL. FYI when the local tobacconist sold me my first Peterson 12 years ago, he put me on to GH Brown unscented, Balkan, Irish Slices and Bulwark; all rich flakes!! Hence my name!!! LOL

dalby

Lurker
Aug 17, 2013
Nightcap was one of my first tinned tobaccos, and I am extraordinarily fond of the blend.

Even though I don't own many pipes yet, I have one dedicated to just this amazing mixture.

As a reformed smokeless tobacco addict, I don't experience the nicotine in any extreme fashion.

(though I did very much enjoy peckinpahhombre's narration) :lol:

onepyrotec

Lifer
Feb 20, 2013
Nevada
I will have my own answer to the original question soon. I'm below half a tin left from my "old" stash, and I don't have anymore to open. It is/was from early 90's

Status
Not open for further replies.