PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackbeard82

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 11, 2013
I don't experience the nicotine in any extreme fashion.

(though I did very much enjoy peckinpahhombre's narration) [:lol:]

I am in the same boat, was my first real tobacco and now a every day 7-8 bowl delight for me. I too dipped skoal whiskey fine cut and do not find Nightcap overpowering. I LOVE IT!!!! :D

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I'm no latakia connoisseur but I find Nightcap very impressive, as a latakia blend and as a blend. As for the latakia, there's plenty to enjoy, and although I would classify it as latakia-forward, there is much else to enjoy. Not really knowing, I would say that there is some high-quality, matured VA in it. At any rate there's something that cries out "I am incredibly good," in this blend. Also the orientals are understated in a fine way; I taste their addition but am not knocked up by the side of the head with a boatload, say of Izmir. There are the standard tobaccos that we're used to tasting--latakia, VA, burley, perique, and then there are orientals whose addition can be quite arresting. Not so with Nightcap. Finally I love love love the nicotine. For me a blend needs to be tasty, complex and strong. Nightcap is all three. It calls out to be massively cellared.

slownumbers39

Can't Leave
Jul 29, 2012
First time I had Nightcap, I opened the tin and made up a bowl, smoked it and was very unimpressed. Tried it again the next day, same result. I did not lose faith though and put the can away. Found it again about a month later, gave it another try and really enjoyed it.
So, from now on, I pop the tin, then I put it away for 4-6 weeks to "age", then come back to it and really enjoy the flavour.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Though I've heard before of keeping the top of a tin/jar on loosely for a period of weeks before smoking it, I've not done it for fear of losing the volatile compounds; not that I, nor anyone else for that matter, know what they are. I'm going to try this.

dryseason91

Can't Leave
Oct 10, 2013
Dublin, Ireland
I've only smoked two bowls of it (Frank-packed) and it was a freshly opened tin, but I really find it a blend of highs and lows. (As a caveat, I'm fairly new to pipe smoking and almost entirely new to English blends, so my lack of technique and/or experience probably taints my opinion).
The first third of the bowl was bliss, to a degree I hadn't met with in the aromatics and Va's I'd been working off before. The smoke had a richness of mouthfeel and a complexity of flavour that blew my mind - every puff was captivating. After about 20 mins things declined pretty steeply, with the bowl growing uncomfortably hot in my hand and a sour, ashy note creeping in, particularly with every relight, which became frequent. I don't seem to be susceptible to tongue bite and didn't get any here - though I wasn't sure if the pepperiness in my mouth was due to heat or the influence of the perique, of which I've had no other experience - but the degradation of the flavour was enough to make me grimace. The second bowl was more consistent, hitting neither the peaks nor the troughs of the first.
I'm certainly going to persevere with Nightcap as its quality is indisputable. No doubt that with improved technique I'll do it better justice.

latbomber

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2013
I find that nightcap, like most blends, needs a few days or even weeks after opening the tin to get to full regular flavour. I have no idea why.

eazye77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 21, 2012
I open my and get to smoking. I find that if I let it sit after opening it, within a few weeks span, the nic level goes down. I for one love the punch of the nic!

dryseason91

Can't Leave
Oct 10, 2013
Dublin, Ireland
Got third time lucky with a bowl last night. I take back what I said - it's a mature, intelligently blended mixture, and certainly the finest I've tried so far. It might just be me but I find it, for all its robustness, surprising delicate: if not treated gently it is inclined to burn hot and go sour. That might be why it's thought of as better suited to the experienced smoker. Obviously an element of that is the big nic hit, but it does also need refined technique (of all aspects from packing to puffing) to coax out its nuances, not to mention its "difficulty", if that makes any sense. It's like Joyce's "Ulysses" in a bowl: complicated and elusive, with the "voices" of the different tobaccos tangling deliciously around each other, modifying each other, occasionally unknotting long enough to lift a clear latakia smokiness or virginia sweetness above the general clamour. It's not an "easy" smoke. It's also inclined, I've noticed, to turn reviewer's prose purple as plums, as here. Sorry everyone.

auslander

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 21, 2013
Nice write up. I bought a tin of this yesterday and I am frightened to try it. Your plum coloured prose alleviated a little of that angst.
Cheers

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I like lat-forward blends (MM965 my favorite) but had forgotten how stout Nightcap can be. After a few bowls, it was just too much for me, so I jarred it. A while later, I smoked a few bowls of EMP and remembered it was too light. I decided to mix them at a 50% ratio and viola, a new favorite blend. It's very 965 like but minus the Cavendish.

gtclark

Oct 3, 2013
It's like Joyce's "Ulysses" in a bowl: complicated and elusive, with the "voices" of the different tobaccos tangling deliciously around each other
Beautifully put - leave it to an Irishman to compare a pipe tobacco with Joyce :)

auslander

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 21, 2013
I've had a few bowls of this now. I love it. It is reasonably strong but the nicotine didn't blow my socks off. I smoked a cubed Erinmore flake today and used a pinch of Nightcap as a topper for the kindling. That was pretty good too :)

pipefish

Can't Leave
Aug 25, 2013
I've yet to try this but I picked up a tin at the Doha airport duty-free. They had hundreds of tins stacked on top of one another. Duty free price was $7.00 so I had to buy it, and I remember all of the positive reviews about the stuff.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Just tried Nightcap today for the first time. I was very pleased! The only othe Dunhill I had tried was EMP, and I was not impressed. EMP was just too Va forward for my taste. Nightcap on the other hand, is rich with Latakia! Just the way I like it!

piperl12

Apr 7, 2012
Hmmm great reviews all. I have smoked Nightcap as part of my regular rotation and I have to agree with everything said about this amazing blend. I have never tried 965 but I based on the Cavendish description I might have to give it a try too.

Status
Not open for further replies.