Dunhill My Mixture 965. Oh, My Goodness!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

puff

Lurker
May 9, 2015
For months I've been meaning to get myself some Dunhill My Mixture 965, but

funds were low and stocks of other tobaccos were high. Finally a couple of days

ago, I managed to get my hands on a tin. The title says it all. I mean, I had

heard it was good, but this is ridiculously good.
It is very different to what I thought it would taste like. I had heard latakia

was quite harsh, but when I smoked it it smooth and very sweet, but mildly so.

Like a light Indian incense.
At first I thought it might be the pipe I was smoking it from, it was a new

pipe, and the pipe had kind of a sweet pipe-shop smell to it before I lit it.

But I just had it in one of my other pipes, and oh my the taste was still

there.
I have mostly had VaPers and tried a couple of aromatics, so I haven't had

anything with latakia or orientals before (or brown cavendish for that matter),

so honestly I have no idea where the wonderful taste comes from.
The tin I bought was very tightly packed, almost a cake, and I had a bit of

trouble with both bowls getting them properly lit, so they ended up burning a

little hot in the beginning (no toungue bite, just not a whole lot of taste),

but once I had a good ember and the ember cooled a bit, what a taste! Getting

better with every puff all the way to the bottom, saving the best for last.
I feel like I'm having a bit of an inverted experience.. mildly sweet incense

instead of harsh, the bottom "goop" delicious and remarkably better than the

top, etc.
I am curious, what are your impressions of My Mixture 965? Is this an experience

you can recognize? Does it also resemble incense to you? Where does that taste

come from? Is it the latakia, or the orientals, or is that a unique flavour of

the Dunhill My Mixture 965, or is it just my palate that is acting weird?

rfernand

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 2, 2015
My Mixture 965 is a "busy" blend for me. I feel like the Cavendish and the Virginias so not agree with each other, while the Lat is constantly in dissonance with the Orientals. Too much going on for me.
But don't let that fool you! I like it. It's just so... demanding.

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
Good solid smoke with a little sweetness from the cavendish. One of the first blends I tried and still one of my favorites. Just meat and potatoes, nothing fancy; plus the Dunhill ribbon cut is almost idiot proof to pack and smoke.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I really like 965, such nice proportions of leaf, and such lively flavor. I'm sure there are those who don't like it, but mostly I hear approval. I always keep some on hand, tin or bulk. It's a dependable pleasure. If it weren't readily available, it would be one of these blends about which people obsess.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
At one time or another I've smoked all Dunhill's English blends, plus numerous other brands. To me they're all variations on a theme, and that theme is Nightcap.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
965 and Early Morning Pipe are my favorite English blends. To my palate, everything is in just the right places with these two.
They're good fresh, but after the tin has been open for a while and the ribbons start to dry out a bit, they can both give magical smokes.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
MM 965 is good, but the sweetness from the cavendish nudges me into the "I like Nightcap better" camp.

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
To other excellent blends in a similar vein are Peterson's Old Dublin and El Rincon de la Pipa No. 1

bpftc

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 21, 2016
This is one of my favorite blends. I like it more than Aperitif or Durbar. The green olive flavor of the orientals are not as pronounced in this blend.

yaddy306

Lifer
Aug 7, 2013
Regina, Canada
My Mixture 965 is a "busy" blend for me. I feel like the Cavendish and the Virginias so not agree with each other, while the Lat is constantly in dissonance with the Orientals.
That's my feelings on 965 as well. It's kind of exhausting.

jollyroger

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2015
I can't stand the faintest wisp of latakia. Actually have a sealed tin that I have no intention of ever opening.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
My first bowl was an "ah-hah" moment for sure and it's been a daily smoke ever since. It must be the Brown Cavendish, as there's nothing else exactly like it.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
McClellend's 925 you should try, it's there 965 match, I think it might almost be better than the current version of 965.

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/3768/mcclelland-no-925-nine-2-five
Also B&B's ol' limey bastard is a match to the old 965, I've never had it but it gets great reviews.

puff

Lurker
May 9, 2015
Many good suggestions of other baccies.. Hereby added to my to-try list :) It'll take me a while to get through the list, though.. baccy here is $30+ per tin, and I just splurged out on a new pipe and of course the wonderful MM 965 :)
Seeing as no one commented on the incense-like taste/smell, I guess I'm alone in that impression? Unless that's what you meant @ssjones about the brown cavendish?
Happy smoking!
/puff

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
Whenever I read the rave reviews of MM 965 I feel a bit let down because my of experiance after buying a pound of it a year or so ago was awful. It had a distinct sour, ammonia smell that really put me off. I put it away for a few months but it still was unsmokable. At one point my wife even knocked on the smoking room door and asked what chemicals I using in there! It truly was the worst tobacco I had ever tried.
Maybe I should buy a tin of it and see if I like that better.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
That's too bad, tuold -- was it bulk you bought? I've had bulk EMP and didn't care for it, but I've always liked the tinned version. I've definitely never had anything sour or ammonia-like from 965.

Status
Not open for further replies.