Dunhill My Mixture 965. Oh, My Goodness!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

puff

Lurker
May 9, 2015
@tuold: I smoked it outside, so the smell was probably milder than it would've

been had I smoked it in a closed room, where the smoke might aggregate.
As for the smoke itself, I gave it a "good" hot start (bland taste at first),

but then slowing down toward the second half of the bowl it would just get

really good and better.
As for the ammonia.. During one bowl, a small piece of tobacco got sucked up in

my mouthpiece. "Chewing" on that was very sour and indeed ammonia-like. Once I

discovered that that was the problem, I quickly fished the tobacco piece out,

and the smoke was back to being a sweet mild smoke.
Maybe somehow you were getting it raw as well, when you tried it? Try giving a

really good burn-in at the beginning, and make sure your stem is clear :)
Best of luck. I hope you succeed! :)

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I love the "busy" nature of it. It is like a wildlife safari: always something new to notice, in that corner over there or eating your tour guide...

bonanzadriver

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2016
MM 965 is the closest thing to a "Daily" smoke that I have in my cellar. I absolutely love this stuff. Fearing it's upcoming demise, I have purchased several pounds of it as well as a dozen or so tins. I have also picked up the match from Sutliff. I like it as well.
I actually just finished a bowl of it (original) earlier this evening. It was exquisite.
I would also encourage you to try other English offerings from the various producers out there as well as the various Balkans.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
About a year ago, I wrote a post about who the “my” in “my mixture” was. It’s a pretty dry read, sorry, but the pictures are nice;

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/ea-baxter-and-his-mixture-965

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
scrooge, I'm interested in your sense that Mixture 965 is an entree to Royal Yacht. Maybe. The one is a unique non-aromatic with (to me) a special balance and liveliness. Royal Yacht is an excellent, one-of-a-kind aromatic, tobacco forward yet using the (plum?) flavoring to set off the base tobacco. Both fine blends, but aimed at two different experiences. I'd expect a third would like both, and the other two thirds one or the other. I like 'em both, but when I am in completely different moods. But your suggestion is an engaging thought and a pleasing puzzle.

derekflint

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 23, 2017
C+D Midnight Drive is a good Scottish also and is worthy of a try............It's a little bit heavier on the Latakia though.

btwes7

Lifer
Jul 3, 2017
Pennsylvania
I bought a pound of 965 a couple of years ago without the intention of letting it age; however, it has aged very nicely and has been my go to English blend for awhile now. Wish I bought more when I did.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
965 was a revelation from Dunhill ... another revelation, if you want to call it so. Scottish blend is what they call it, I believe. Very sweet, smooth and full bodied. I have a tin open right now, enjoying it - but definitely not an every day smoke for me. It's very very good though, it hits the spot every time. I need the proper mood to smoke it though, and a full stomach is a must otherwise I get the hiccups from the nicotine.

Mar 29, 2016
965 is one of those staple tobaccos but personally I prefer the Murray version ( of which I have a few tins left)than the STG one. Like all Dunhill tobaccos, it has lost its "English" character when compared to even the Orlik version.
Dunhill is one of those pipe and tobacco companies that suffered a slow and hard to understand death. Like a person than lost his mind but is still breathing. How the mighty have fallen!

Status
Not open for further replies.