PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
Two days ago was the first time in my life I smoked a pipe. A friend of mine introduced me to cigars about 2 years ago but it never "took". I enjoying spending time with he and the fellas at the local smoking place (Lit in Snoqualmie WA). I saw a guy there smoking a pipe so i thought i'd give it a try. I have smoked 3 bows so far and am really really enjoying it. So heres my dumb question. After my latest smoke 5 min ago, i was using the little scoop tool the guy sold me to get the last little bit of tobacco out. A to my surprise, there was a dime in there! I got to thinking that maybe they all have dimes but I'm too new to know any better. Is this normal? Thanks -
Edit: Moved to Pipe Smoking Basics & Beginner Questions, L.

hawk60ce

Lifer
Jun 11, 2012
hmmm a dime? like 10 cents? could be to compensate for the bowl being drilled too low below the draft hole. If its smoking well for you and your enjoying it, i wouldnt change a thing. maybe get a better quality pipe though.

ollie

Lurker
Nov 19, 2012
ya im pretty sure there is not supposed to be a dime in there. i'm with hawk60 on this one though. If it smokes like a freight train, just enjoy it! Was there an even cake on the bowl below where the dime was?? My bet is some one probably had it in a pocket with a dime; and it worked it way into the bowl.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
I decided not to put my 2cents in this conversation...But HEY EVERYONE>>>Penny for your thoughts :rofl:

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
lol Weezell. Well, it is a new pipe (at least I thought it was.). its smoking just fine but thought it was awfully weird.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Maybe the dime fell out of the till or the sellers shirt pocket and miraculously ended up in the bowl. What brand of pipe and where did you get it? Pix would be good, too!

austinxpipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 25, 2012
As a fellow newbie I can say I've been nickel and dimed before, albeit not in the literal sense!

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
I think its called an Adsorba 217 but honestly, I dont know a thing about it. I asked the guy for a starter setup and he sold me this one:
54-DNA2g.jpg

I want to get a few more but I am so flying blind here. I am reading many of the forum posts and am trying to find a good starter tobacco. I one he gave me was a "blend" but I dont know what kind.

dlattim

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 27, 2012
Okay, my answer's worth about a dime. If it's an estate pipe, my bet is with hawk. The previous lover of this pipe wanted to raise the bottom to better fit the height of the draft hole. Being an ingenious "make it work" kind of guy he just dropped in a dime and kept on smoking it.
By the way, welcome aboard!

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
Whenever I dig into something..... whether I'm using a shovel or teeny-tinny scooper, I'm

always looking for treasure.... I'd say you hit the jack pot!

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
You are right on the money there mate! My Grandfather used to put a dime or a penny in the bottom of most of his pipe bowls. Said he liked to have his baccy off the bottom of the bowl.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
If it makes you feel any better, there have been a LOT dumber questions asked.

Status
Not open for further replies.