PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

piperl12

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2012
Maybe it was a "dime" store pipe? Seriously though welcome aboard i'm with nsfisher pretty sure its to keep the tobacco off the bottom. Maybe in the old days when coffee was just ten cent's it was a smokable piggy bank too!

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Upon more serious reflection, a substantial piece of metal in the bottom of the pipe should act like a moisture

condenser. IMHO that's a very bad idea for the pipe because the wood in contact with, or below it would have a

hard time drying out.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
Thanks everyone - I'm super glad to be here. I'm going to check the bottom of my pipes when i buy them. I didnt this time because I didnt even think to look. I took it out and will see if there is a difference in tomorrow's smoke. :) BTW, this pipe was brand new and not an estate pipe.

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
You've made an excellent discovery, zonomo
A dime? in the bottom of your pipe chamber? I can scarcely believe it.
I've been smoking without a dime in my pipe for a while now and have been doing just fine.
I've never heard of Absorba ... but that looks like a decent briar pipe there. There's a lot to learn and experience about pipe smoking, and you're now meeting the saltiest group of online pipe smokers this side of the internet.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Next time I'm at the B&M...
Me: pick pick pick
Shop Owner: "What are you doing over there?"
Me: "Checking the pipes for loose change!"

pipeinhand

Lifer
Sep 23, 2011
Virginia
I looked up Adsorba 217 and it is supposed to be a quarter, please contact whomever sold it to you and get your extra 15c. :nana:

loborx

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 20, 2011
I kind of like the idea. I have a pipe that I drew a little too hard and the bottom is rather charred. Checking pockets for change...

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Perhaps the tradition of the shop owner, as someone else said it was something the old timers did.

I'd smoke without the loose change. Oh yeah, welcome!

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
So now - +6 pipes later and 8 tobacco samples, 4 lighters, 3 tampers, 3 bundles of pipe cleaners I conclude:
A) It WAS the dumest question in the history of the world

B) It was highly unusual for that dime to be there.

dottle

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 1, 2012
Some people have all the luck,,,only thing I Have ever found in the bottom of my pipe was some lint. :(

oldshacker

Might Stick Around
Oct 26, 2012
dime1.jpg

It might be a 1965 Silver Dime that has an estimated value: $9000+. You did check it out right?

Background: The official production of silver dimes were discontinued in 1964.

Beginning in 1965 dimes were made out of copper and nickel. A silver 1965 dime is a mistake (and a rare one).

Only a few have been found, but more are believed to still be in circulation or lost in a pipe somewhere.

How to spot it: The silver coin has a silver edge; the common copper/nickel coin has a strip of brown around the edge. :puffpipe:

dlattim

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 27, 2012
I once called an ex-girlfriend a 2 bit whore. Then she slapped me up side the head with a bag of quarters!

(Old joke but had to do it, sorry)

hans

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2012
i might actually try this with some of my problem pipes!

Status
Not open for further replies.