Pipes Magazine » General Pipe Smoking Discussion

Tags:   

Dumb Suggestion of the Day: Homebrew Blends Box Pass

(45 posts)
  1. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Most of you are aware that on a regular basis I experience mental spasms that I refer to as "ideas," and most of these emerge as completely nonsensical notions that any person of normal cognition would reject immediately. But some of them, sometimes and rarely, turn out to be worth pursuing.

With the FDA (Feds on Drugs Association) breathing down our necks like the rent-seeking bureaucrats we know in our heart of hearts that they are, many of us are turning to homebrew blends, either by purchasing leaf in a relatively unprocessed form or growing, curing, and blending our own tobacco. Since gifting and swapping tobacco remains legal, many of us are passing these around in the backchannel as a means of preparing for tobaccalypse or at least "limited options" in the future.

Keeping that in mind, I figured I'd check to see if there is any interest in a box pass for homebrew blends. Basic agenda is this: blenders mail stuff to someone who throws it in a box and mails it to someone else, and one person keeps track of where it is being sent so that it does not end up languishing in decay behind a beanie baby collection somewhere.

"My own experience has been that the tools I need for my trade are paper, tobacco, food, and a little whiskey." -- William Faulkner

The Metal Mixtures
    Posted 3 years ago #
  2. iamn8

Nate

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You should begin with a bag of one tobacco and the next person mixes something else into it... and on and on, eventually ending in a blend of a dozen or so tobaccos. Like that game where each participant adds a sentence to an eventual story

Nate @ Moody AL
    Posted 3 years ago #
  3. perdurabo

perdurabo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yea,LOL, "I think I taste a little perique in this somewhere, but the 1Q vanilla subdues it a bit."

It's not my position nor want to help another man. It's his responsibility to help himself, as where he can learn to dig down deep enough to save himself. -I. Kidd
    Posted 3 years ago #
  4. jkrug

jkrug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The title lead me to think you were planning on shipping beer around the country for home other brewers to sample.
    I'm thinking 15-20 guys equals 15-20 bottles each....damn shipping will be a real boot in the nuts!! lol

Posted 3 years ago #
  5. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Now that is also a good idea. Wonder if the post office will ship beer via media mail?

Posted 3 years ago #
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

bigpond

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Pretty sure most of what would get passed would be at least 40% lawn clippings and 30% pet hair. So, count me in.

Posted 3 years ago #
  7. tmb152

tmb152

Login to Send PM

either by purchasing leaf in a relatively unprocessed form or growing, curing, and blending our own tobacco.

Sine nicotine is a drug, I suspect that if the current laws go through unchallenged, at some point, growing your own tobacco will be akin to drug manufacture, and subject to the full regulatory weight of the fed. You will need a drug license, pay fees, need to be inspected annually to assure you meet all 117 regulations, and errant growers out there skirting the law knowingly or otherwise much like Gibson guitar for using a rare wood they obtained fully legally, will be subject to BATF raids by SWAT teams in heavy armor, pointing automatic weapons at your children as they slam you to the deck in a wrist lock and confiscate your plants. You would probably be heavily prosecuted as a dangerous felon. We will all need good lawyers.

Posted 3 years ago #
  8. twoonefive

twoonefive

Login to Send PM

Count me in. I have 4 blends I have been working on that has whole leaf tobacco at as the base. Would love to see what others think of it. Hope this gets off the ground.

Posted 3 years ago #
  9. cobguy

Darin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sounds like a winner to me!

Are you volunteering to steer this ship?

Posted 3 years ago #
  10. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

cobguy: Surely we can find someone more competent?

But if not, definitely. I will step up to help the community that I enjoy/appreciate/respect.

Posted 3 years ago #
  11. cobguy

Darin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

cobguy: Surely we can find someone more competent?

LOL ... you're selling yourself short!

Let's see what interest arises and take it from there. Here's the list so far:

DeathMetal
    BigPond
    TwoOneFive
    CobGuy

Posted 3 years ago #
  12. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Since it basically involves putting stuff in a box and keeping track of it, I think I can handle it. Hope that more interest surfaces.

Posted 3 years ago #
  13. iamn8

Nate

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Putting stuff in a box AND keep track of it?!?! You guys are reckless. Pick one thing and focus. You're attempts at multitasking is madness!! Madness I say!

Posted 3 years ago #
  14. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

So far, I've really enjoyed blends by Cobguy and Deathmetal. I'd be in for a box pass. I wouldn't want to start it off, because I only have one blend to harvest.

Michael
    Posted 3 years ago #
  15. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You could throw in a bag of lawn clippings too just to see if anyone notices. "The Virginias are very grassy, sweet like newly-mown hay, with a fresh and organic taste. The Burleys feel sun-baked and warm."

Posted 3 years ago #
  16. cobguy

Darin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

So far, I've really enjoyed blends by Cobguy and Deathmetal

Thank you, sir! I've been craving DM's Massacra since I ran out ... good stuff.

Your home-grown leaf would be a great addition to the box:

DeathMetal
    BigPond
    TwoOneFive
    CobGuy
    Cosmic

Edit: I'm going to PM rx2man (Rob) as well ... he has a couple really nice flakes I recently tried.

Posted 3 years ago #
  17. cobguy

Darin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Any more interest out there?

If not, let's get a mini-pass underway!

DeathMetal ... If you'd like, I'll start the box and send it to you first. Then, it can end up back with me to be replenished and sent out again or on to any new people that join the list.

Posted 3 years ago #
  18. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm game. If you can fire the box off to me, I'll add my blends. There will be extra Massacra in there too.

Posted 3 years ago #
  19. cobguy

Darin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Alright! I'll start the box and send you the tracking info.

When it's ready to go from your end, just PM the next recipient and wait to send it until you get confirmation.

Would the others up above please re-post to this thread and confirm your participation? Thanks!

Posted 3 years ago #
  20. twoonefive

twoonefive

Login to Send PM

Confirming I'm still in. Thanks!

Posted 3 years ago #
  21. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Looking forward to this!

Posted 3 years ago #
  22. ericthered

ericthered

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't do any of my own blending, but I start drooling every time I see a thread about all of the "homebrews" created by the illustrious members of this forum. I may have to invest in some blending leaf just so I can get in on this boxpass. Until then, I'll watch this thread like a street urchin peeking through the candy store's window!

Posted 3 years ago #
  23. cobguy

Darin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sorry for the delay, gents, but the box is now loaded and ready to ship tomorrow!

This Red/Lemon Virginia flake was sliced up a couple of days ago to be included: (slices and cubes)

Besides the finished products, I'm also throwing in some whole-leaf samples of Red FCV, Lemon FCV, Natural Burley and Light Fire Cured. No cigars this time but also putting two homemade snuffs in there.

I may have to invest in some blending leaf just so I can get in on this box pass.

Yes! I'm hoping some folks will be inspired by this and give it a go!

Posted 3 years ago #
  24. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This is a very cool idea. As of now, I've just begun blending and only have one blend of my own under my belt. I like this. I'm just iffy about being responsible for everyone's baccy lol. I'm still going to follow the thread though to see how it's going. Looks like a lot of fun.

Arrrrr, shiver me timbers! International Talk Like a Pirate Day is September the 19th!!!
    Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 3 years ago #
  25. cobguy

Darin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm just iffy about being responsible for everyone's baccy lol.

No worries ... with homebrew blends you just make more! LOL
    Good to have you and hop in anytime.

Posted 3 years ago #
  26. pagan

pagan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Im out, had a bad experience like this in high school, buddy's got a 55galon trashcan and filled half with fruit, then everybody added a bottle of booze, and it was a great mojo party, I was among the brave that ate the fruit in the end......... yah Im out

Nowhere in the world will such a brotherly feeling of confidence be experienced as amongst those who sit together smoking their pipes
    Posted 3 years ago #
  27. cobguy

Darin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

LOL ... we're not doing the "add to the blend as it goes" idea.
    However, I do remember the days of "Jungle Juice", as we called it.

BTW ... the box is currently with DeathMetal so we should be hearing something soon!

Posted 3 years ago #
  28. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Oh trashcan punch... had a few of those myself lol. Last time we had a party like that, one of our buddies decided to get naked and run around the apartment and then out the door... we chased him through the parking lot to try and catch him and get him back indoors before he got into to trouble and then our bravery backfired when he stopped and began running back to us... at which point we screamed like frightened little girls, and all courage now gone we ran away from him as fast as we could. Some things should never be seen. Ever. I still have nightmares.

Posted 3 years ago #
  29. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Looking forward to this one! Mail delivery is a bit slowed over the holiday, but I imagine good things await.

Posted 3 years ago #
  30. cobguy

Darin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Looking forward to this one! Mail delivery is a bit slowed over the holiday, but I imagine good things await.

It shows as being delivered on June 29, 2016 @ 7:43 am to your PO Box.

Is it being forwarded from there?

Posted 3 years ago #
  31. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It arrived, in perfect condition. There are at least a dozen varieties to try, and then I will be adding my own blends and shipping it back. This is killer!

Posted 3 years ago #
  32. cobguy

Darin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sweet ... glad it arrived in good shape!

NOTE:

Would the others up above please re-post to this thread and confirm your participation? Thanks!

TwoOneFive is the only one to have responded so far and will be next in line ... looking forward to trying your blends!

Posted 3 years ago #
  33. twoonefive

twoonefive

Login to Send PM

Can't wait! I'll put a copy of the recipes in too. Hopefully you like them, but if not you will at least know what not to do!

Posted 3 years ago #
  34. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Whoever gets this box will be one happy piper... and then can spread the love and gain exposure for their homebrew mixtures. Win-win, if you ask me.

Posted 3 years ago #
  35. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Aaaaaaand the reviews are going up (slowly):

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/homebrew-blends

Posted 3 years ago #
  36. cobguy

Darin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The gears are in motion ... smoke is exiting the stacks ...

Posted 3 years ago #
  37. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You are not kidding.

There is some magic in this box...

Posted 3 years ago #
  38. cobguy

Darin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Giving this a bump.

We should probably be moving the box fairly soon on to the next lucky contender ... TwoOneFive

How's it looking for you DM?

Posted 2 years ago #
  39. cobguy

Darin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Giving this a bump.

We should probably be moving the box fairly soon on to the next lucky contender ... TwoOneFive

How's it looking for you DM?

Looks like DM has been offline for over two weeks ... vacation, perhaps?

Posted 2 years ago #
  40. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have an idea how to do this, although I am not a candidate for a box pass because I smoke so slowly that I can't even get to the blends I buy, mix, or am gifted. But if you are going to pass around home mixes, the more detail given about the constituent tobaccos and proportions, the more valuable it would be. A few folks might want to duplicate the mix exactly, but many more would want to tweak it to their own taste, and this would allow them to do it effectively rather than by trial and error.

(Likewise, when giving a brief report or review on a blend, say who makes the blends and what the constituent leaf is and if there are any flavorings so folks don't have to track down the blend online to find out what it is. There are so many blends out there. Just an aside there.)

Posted 2 years ago #
  41. cobguy

Darin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Likewise, when giving a brief report or review on a blend, say who makes the blends and what the constituent leaf is and if there are any flavorings so folks don't have to track down the blend online to find out what it is.

These blends cannot be tracked down online because we are not "mixing" other blends but, rather, starting with straight blending leaf or, in my case, whole leaf. I don't have exact measurements for most of my creations either but am happy to share the constituent leaves. A separate thread was started with reviews and further descriptions:

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/homebrew-blends

Posted 2 years ago #
  42. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The box is on its way to its next destination.

These blends are entirely homebrew, starting from the raw materials.

The results are often quite good. I would be surprised, except that I have found that talent lurks in many places.

Posted 2 years ago #
  43. cobguy

Darin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The box has arrived back and looks fantastic!

I'll be taking out some of DM's delicious blends and then sending it on to the next player ... twoonefive.

PM Sent!

Posted 2 years ago #
  44. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hope the others on the mail chain enjoyed the blends. I sure had a blast trying cobguy's works!

Posted 2 years ago #
  45. cobguy

Darin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Haven't heard from Twoonefive about his thoughts ... hope all is well!

I'll send him a PM to see how it went.

Posted 2 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   jiminks, tuold, paulfg, catyrpelius, sasquatch, jaytex969, cshubhra, sumusfumus, georged, agnosticpipe, cortezattic, pitchfork, malicev, railman