Dr. Grabow Cob Info

(9 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by peteguy
  • Latest reply from fishnbanjo
  1. peteguy

peteguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

One of the local yahoo's has stumbled upon some un-smoked Dr Grabow Cob pipes that are from the 50-70's (according to him). I saw one and it does in fact have a Green and Yellow sticker on the bottom that states Dr Grabow Corn Cob. Does anyone have any more information on these? I would love to grab one if they are rare.

Posted 4 years ago #
  2. beefeater33

beefeater33

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I see them on e-bay from time to time..... They were made by MM. I don't think they are really "rare", but they aren't common either...... Heres a few links to some ebay sales........

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-genuine-Dr-Grabow-corn-cob-pipe-unused-/171838715834?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item280262b7ba&nma=true&si=aw6CV8UdOfbsgHoVZ6djE6NJTk4%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-CORN-COB-PIPES-UNUSED-ON-BOARD-DR-GRABOW-/111668131751?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19fff077a7&nma=true&si=aw6CV8UdOfbsgHoVZ6djE6NJTk4%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I think they are neat piece of history!!

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dream..."
    Willy Wonka
    Posted 4 years ago #
  3. peteguy

peteguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yup - dems the ones. The same green and yellow sticker. Thanks for the info!

Posted 4 years ago #
  4. fishnbanjo

fishnbanjo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Don't know who the poster is, Ted, but this was taken directly from a Dr. Graybow Forum in answer to the same question, by his answer Ted must have an affiliation with Dr. Graybow.
    banjo

All Grabow cobs look EXACTLY like MM cobs 'cause they made all that we sold. Only difference was the sticker on the bottom.....

We never sold any from the corn crop that we grew at the NCSU Test Farm......ted

EDIT:...
    By the way, Grabow and Medico (KYM) were always in a bidding war to see who could supply filters for MM. The cheapest always won.....ted

Posted 4 years ago #
  5. beefeater33

beefeater33

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'd guess that the ones with the brass ring are the older ones and the newer ones have the yellow stems??

Posted 4 years ago #
  6. jonasclark

jonasclark

Login to Send PM

Possible, yes, though I think MM was doing yellow transparent stems at the same time. The black stems with gold-colored bands were the more premium grade pipes. (There were some black-stemmed MMs with cob shanks that had imported Italian stems and 14K gold-plated bands!)

Posted 4 years ago #
  7. peteguy

peteguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The one I looked at had the yellow stem. If the price can be negotiated a bit lower I will grab it and post some pictures. $20 - seems a bit high after reading everything you all posted.

Posted 4 years ago #
  8. ejames

ejames

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Don't know who the poster is, Ted, but this was taken directly from a Dr. Graybow Forum in answer to the same question, by his answer Ted must have an affiliation with Dr. Graybow.
    banjo

All Grabow cobs look EXACTLY like MM cobs 'cause they made all that we sold. Only difference was the sticker on the bottom.....

We never sold any from the corn crop that we grew at the NCSU Test Farm......ted

EDIT:...
    By the way, Grabow and Medico (KYM) were always in a bidding war to see who could supply filters for MM. The cheapest always won.....ted

The poster-Ted-retired as President and COO of Sparta Pipes (Dr. G.) in 1991.

Posted 4 years ago #
  9. fishnbanjo

fishnbanjo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks Ed that puts a great piece of information to these pipes
    banjo

Posted 4 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   bouwser, headhunter, buzkirk, sumusfumus, odobenus, disinformatique, donjgiles, ormazd