PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
One of the local yahoo's has stumbled upon some un-smoked Dr Grabow Cob pipes that are from the 50-70's (according to him). I saw one and it does in fact have a Green and Yellow sticker on the bottom that states Dr Grabow Corn Cob. Does anyone have any more information on these? I would love to grab one if they are rare.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
I see them on e-bay from time to time..... They were made by MM. I don't think they are really "rare", but they aren't common either...... Heres a few links to some ebay sales........
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-genuine-Dr-Grabow-corn-cob-pipe-unused-/171838715834?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item280262b7ba&nma=true&si=aw6CV8UdOfbsgHoVZ6djE6NJTk4%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-CORN-COB-PIPES-UNUSED-ON-BOARD-DR-GRABOW-/111668131751?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19fff077a7&nma=true&si=aw6CV8UdOfbsgHoVZ6djE6NJTk4%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
I think they are neat piece of history!! :puffy:

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
Yup - dems the ones. The same green and yellow sticker. Thanks for the info!

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
Don't know who the poster is, Ted, but this was taken directly from a Dr. Graybow Forum in answer to the same question, by his answer Ted must have an affiliation with Dr. Graybow.

banjo
All Grabow cobs look EXACTLY like MM cobs 'cause they made all that we sold. Only difference was the sticker on the bottom.....
We never sold any from the corn crop that we grew at the NCSU Test Farm......ted
EDIT:...

By the way, Grabow and Medico (KYM) were always in a bidding war to see who could supply filters for MM. The cheapest always won.....ted

jonasclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
Possible, yes, though I think MM was doing yellow transparent stems at the same time. The black stems with gold-colored bands were the more premium grade pipes. (There were some black-stemmed MMs with cob shanks that had imported Italian stems and 14K gold-plated bands!)

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
The one I looked at had the yellow stem. If the price can be negotiated a bit lower I will grab it and post some pictures. $20 - seems a bit high after reading everything you all posted.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Don't know who the poster is, Ted, but this was taken directly from a Dr. Graybow Forum in answer to the same question, by his answer Ted must have an affiliation with Dr. Graybow.

banjo
All Grabow cobs look EXACTLY like MM cobs 'cause they made all that we sold. Only difference was the sticker on the bottom.....
We never sold any from the corn crop that we grew at the NCSU Test Farm......ted
EDIT:...

By the way, Grabow and Medico (KYM) were always in a bidding war to see who could supply filters for MM. The cheapest always won.....ted
The poster-Ted-retired as President and COO of Sparta Pipes (Dr. G.) in 1991.

Status
Not open for further replies.