Do You Prefer A Collection of More Classical Or Unique Pipes?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Unique to one person can be bland to another, so I'm sure there's a lot of different takes on unique. When I think unique, I don't mean just the same classic shape with a different finish style, I'm talking about something special that makes it stand out.
When I think unique, I think of stuff like this:
Copy+of+asssydublinweb.jpg

1e87a441298fc311ca7684ee728ec881.jpg

73a6f7acc4c973a456741b183340700f.jpg

7b711d4eea262502dd01b0b8c0a0396b.jpg

ef8d8bcd0c2a853bb8f5284bbd096dce.jpg

I have to admit. There are quite a few unique pipes out there. Some of them are one of a kind. If any of you are like me, and want to someday have an artisan make something special for you, would you prefer a classical shape, or something more unique? Some might even say just on the the other side of odd, but sometimes odd is my unique.
I sometimes feel that if I want to go through the experience of having someone make something for me, I want something more than a classical shape. If they're going to make something for me, I want it to be a one of a kind pipe. I don't really care for showing it off for others, even though I know that would be inevitable, but I would want if just for me.
So which do you prefer? All unique pipes? All classical pipes? A mix of the two?

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Yeah, I thought I remembered something about it, but couldn't find it. Was just curious about the aspect of collecting more unique styles as opposed to the classics. You can find a classical shape in just about every finish available today, but more unique items are what I feel drawn to for a commission of some sort one day. Now, some unique styles are a little too unique for me to buy, but interesting as hell to look at.

gerryp

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 8, 2018
Arabi, LA
O.P., those are nice. I really like the second one from the top.
I've always preferred the classic shapes, but I'm warming up to the idea of owning some of the less conventional pipes. I appreciate the artistry and talent involved in more radical designs though.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If I may point out an historical wrinkle, if you keep pipes long enough, or even longer in the case of estate pipes, they begin to look a bit unusual and unique, because they are, because of their age. Like people I guess. Or old cars that were conformist and run-of-the-mill when new, but now have become almost alien. A Nash Rambler or a Reo.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Yeah, I get that Mike. Thanks for that link, BTW. I think I'm more interested in what you would want in your collection and less about what you have. I know a lot of us can't afford too many of the more "unique" additions so we end up being satisfied with what we have.
I mean, I do love my Peterson Silver Spigot and it's a very traditional shape. I just feel like some day, I want maybe one or two in my collection that are certainly unique.
Duane, I've always liked that blowfish.
I'm thinking of something that has like a longer shank with a unique shaped bowl. Trevor Talbert makes some pipes I would love to own in this type of category. His pumpkins are a prime example of something I'd love to have. I'm okay with most of my pipes being traditional, just want something...differnt one day.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
More traditional for me. Although, I do find that second pipe, The Magpie, somewhat attractive.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Deja vu, I could have sworn that we had just had this conversation last week in a different thread. Again, I prefer exemplars of the genre as well as exaggerations and plays on proportions. I would get bored just collecting "average" looking pipes.
Cosmic read my mind (which is a rather scary thought).

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I'm more drawn towards sandblasts or rustication.
Same, but Bruce Weaver sent that one to me as a surprise gift and few things say happy like a free pipe from your favorite carver!

Sep 18, 2015
Most of my collection is traditional but the unique shapes are what catches my eye unfortunately most of these are a bit more than I can afford most of the time,

Here’s my Von Erik

462fb353-dcbc-44fd-8330-79ed73b1f524-600x291.jpg

recluse

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 11, 2011
So which do you prefer? All unique pipes? All classical pipes? A mix of the two?
When I started, I was drawn to the more unique shapes. Over time, I've drifted back to more classical shapes. I still enjoy elements of the fantastic in my pipes, but they still have to show a classical base.
I'm also growing to find a greater appreciation for grain and coloration in general.

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
I’m more for the ‘traditional’ shapes myself. Truth be told, that’s my budget speaking as much as anything though. Those are some fantastic pipes in those pics, OP. If I had the $ I’d love to have a few like that in my humble little collection!
Nice thread :)

Status
Not open for further replies.