PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxx

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 10, 2015
I've been listening to the PIpes Magazine Podcasts, and every guest is asked five questions. The first is " What is your favorite pipe?" Do you have an answer for that? I'm not sure that I do. If pressed, I'd say my Radice Rind G Billiard, but I also get a lot of pleasure from my Peterson B5 Bent Bulldog. In both cases, the way they sit in my hand is part of the reason.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Yes, two of them in fact: the Peterson 107 Irish Harp billiard. Beautiful classic billiard with thick walls and lovely stain joy. Sits great and a great smoker.

dulgunz

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2015
I want to say my Peterson Dracula 01, its pleasing to the eye and a good clencher, but it gurgles no matter what method of packing or puffing I do. I would say my #1 right now is a Chacom Poker 155. It smokes wonderfully no matter what I throw at her or how my puffing techniques are. BTW the Peterson is a rack queen now!!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have favorites in different categories. I certainly have my best pipes, the ones that are at higher price levels that have the cache of being fine smokers and luxury items. Some of the ones I favor most are the oldest, that have stood the test of time and never let me down. Fortunately or not, I think most of my pipes would be specifically missed if I lost them. They have different uses, favor different blends, and serve slightly different purposes. Most of my Petes and Savs have specific memories and specifications which I value. Some pipes have added value for having been gifts; I put a lot of store in these pipes and their givers. Also, many of my pipes just have a certain uniqueness that cannot be duplicated, which is probably why I bought them; they didn't duplicate what I had. I could grab many pipes off the racks and play them as my one favorite pipe, and explain, somewhat honestly, why.
A couple who had fostered two Maine Coon rescue cats I adopted came to visit and see how they were doing the Christmas after I adopted them. Devilishly, as we sat there and the cats showed off their toys and tricks, I asked, "Do you know which one I like best?" There was a horrified silence while they digested the idea that I liked one of my little gangsters better than the other. And after the silence had gone on long enough, I smiled and said, "Which ever one I'm petting at the time."

dulgunz

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2015
@mso489 - I had a black Maine Coon female cat. She would love to attack the covers at night and when she was finally wore out, Shadow would sleep by the door "on guard". She would love to hunt in the yard and one day she never returned. I thought she had ran off but suspected the Bald Eagles nested in the woods by my house had something to do with her disappearance.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
I've got a couple new ones that may prove worthy of the top slot but at present my favorite is my Radice "silk cut" canted billiard, at least that's what I call it, it could almost pass as a Zulu. I've been smoking it regularly since 2004 when it was lovingly made by hand. I smoke mostly Latakia blends but it handles Virginias and VaPer's just as easily. I think it'll always be a special one for me.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Probably my Weaver volcano. It was my first commission, and the first pipe that I tried one of my favorite tobaccos, Black Frigate, in. Love the contrast of the deep ringblast on its upper, and the smooth birdseye beneath. The two piece ebonite/cumberland stem is beautiful, and its cavernous chamber ensures a 60 min+ smoke.

spartanfan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 3, 2013
Mine is a Vollmer & Nilsson pot shaped pipe. Just a classic shape very well executed. Smokes fantastic.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I also like my Irish Harp. Mine's a 999. Always a perfect smoke.
peterson_zps9c18ddc1-1.jpg

jessicac

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 7, 2014
They're both from my grandfather's collection, but my favourites are a Peterson 317 rustic, for going out, and a large system Pete for home.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
My favorite is usually the most recent acquisition, but if held at gunpoint by a gunman demanding I chose only one pipe.... first I'd question his motivation, but if he were to persist and begin gunning down my pipes one by one.... I'd cry a little, but I suppose if this continued, I'd likely draw the line at my Dunhill 5128 Black Briar w/thick silver band.... and my Rasmussen Volcano. If the gunman then required me to pick only one.... My two pipes and I would go out in a hail of gunfire.

wilson

Apr 17, 2013
I have a favorite -- a Hilson Maestro that my wife (at the time, my girlfriend) gave to me 35 years ago for Christmas. It is a great smoker and, of course, it is hard to beat the sentimental attachment to such a treasure.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Hard to pick one but it's probably my Brigham Mountaineer bent Volcano. It has very striking flame grain and a beautiful warm colour to it. It is also very comfortable in hand and a good smoker. A very nice pipe for a mid priced "factory" pipe. :puffy:

pepesdad1

Lifer
Feb 28, 2013
My best smoking pipe would be a Briar Spirit bent Dublin with a straightgrain to die for and a plateaux rim. Smokes like a dream...better than my Comoys.

xrundog

Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
My favorite to smoke shifts around a lot. Then I have some pipes that are lovely to look at but I don't smoke a lot for various reasons. So...I don't think I have a favorite. I like them all. If I decide I don't like a pipe anymore I trade or sell it.

Status
Not open for further replies.