Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nikko

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2011
... more specifically, an "adult beverage"
I know I have read that health wise it is not the best idea, but really, that can be said for each practice individually.
Besides pipe smoking, I have also been turning into a beer connoisseur (or snob, depending who you ask), and on some occasions I like to partake in both of my interests at the same time. Outside of beer, the only other thing I'll drink is a nice glass of water.
So I guess the point of this thread is to see if other people enjoy a drink as well, and if you do, do you try to pair what you drink with what you smoke?

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I do about everything when I drink, except drive. I grew up in Europe, so I am kind of a beer snob, too. I drink more liquor these days, though. Lawrence and some others got me turned on to Ezra Brooks, but I like Scotch or Irish Whiskeys with my pipes.
I will tell you, though, H&H Black House goes freakin awesome with a nice Swiss Absinthe. I'm a little bit of an Absinthe snob, too, but really only to the extent that I want its true history and qualities to be known, rather than the hype that has been marinating here in the US for many years, due to disinformation and shoddy imports from the Czech Republic.
If you ever consider buying a bottle of the green fairy, talk to me and I'll steer you right. I have no financial interest in any one brand or company. I just love the stuff and want to share the love.

nikko

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2011
I was actually given a bottle of absinthe for Christmas a couple years ago, I think it's othello. Not sure how it ranks since the only other time I've had it was in Germany at a club. But if it is a decent make, I'll have to invest in some H&H Black House and give it go. Thanks for the recommendation!

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Was it Obsello? If so, that's a nice Spanish Absinthe. Unusual in that is a little lower in proofage (only 50% alcohol) and contains mint, which not every Absinthe drinker likes, but I've tried it and it should make a fine pairing. The 100° nature of it makes it great for Absinthe coctails and a non-traditional way of drinking that I like, which is just a shot of the absinthe over ice, no added water, just a few minutes for the ice to melt a bit. just swirl the Absinthe and ice around until you see the oils being released and the louche taking effect. The Black House is always worth the investment. It's the first 8oz tin I ever bought, just because I liked it so much.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Just prepare the drink, put on Mozart's Eine Kleine Nachtmusik, kill the lights, light some candles, pack your bowl and enjoy the ambience and the kaleidoscope of flavor and scent that surrounds you. By the middle of the bowl you will be in another world! Russ broke the mold with that blend.

nikko

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2011
I just checked and it is obsello, and I have added Black House to my next TAD prescription, I would order it tonight with some others, but I'm still recovering from my order last night..

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
Throughout the day most bowls are accompanied with either coffee or black tea.

Of the evenings though I look forward to a cold stout or porter. Guinness or from a local, Deschutes Brewery.

dburrows

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 2, 2011
If I'm drinking a beer it's usually Sam's seasonal (nice rotation throughout the year) otherwise coffee or water. I did enjoy a few bowls of GLP Westminster and Gatlinburlier's Smokies Smoke-ease while having Crown & Coke last week (those are very rare) which went quite well. We were enjoying a few days in Gatlinburg at the time.

tonypuff

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2011
Usually either ice water or black coffee but sometimes ill grab a glass of ice tea...adult beverages though gin&tonic, scotch on the rocks or a jack n coke.

pipetrucker

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 13, 2010
Following the white rabbit
That depends upon where I am. If smoking is permitted, or they have comfortable smoking permitted patio seating then certainly. Usually beer or scotch, but I don't turn up my nose at a good Irish whiskey here and there.

sherlock

Can't Leave
Aug 21, 2011
I partake in the pleasures of Dionysus on occasion, but I partake in the tobacco more. So it is hard to say I drink one thing with my pipes. I do like beer, though not when I am smoking I feel like the carbonation takes away from the taste of tobacco. Usually I will drink port or whiskey if I am smoking, but I would more often be caught with coffee and a pipe than an alcoholic drink and a pipe.

strave19

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 13, 2011
If I'm having a pipe after dinner it is most likely accompanied by a beer... usually homebrew.

Status
Not open for further replies.