Do Some Pipes Require a Filter or Insert?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

scooterdoo

Might Stick Around
Jul 18, 2018
Hi All -
I just bought, off ebay, a Stanwell that takes a 9 mm filter. I contacted the seller and asked if it required a filter and he said I could instead use the pipe insert. My question pertains to both this pipe and basically all filtered pipes in general: can you simply smoke them without the filter or the insert? This guy made it seem like the insert was required if I wasn't using a filter. Is this the case?
Thanks,

Dan
Edited by jvnshr: Title capitalization (please check Rule #9)

Jan 8, 2013
I smoke mine without the filter or adapter. The more open draw translates to a better smoke with fewer relights. And, as stated already, if it's too wide open, a bit tamping will help you find the sweet spot.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I have a few filter pipes, both the European style 9mm cartridge filters as well as the Brigham maple insert ones. I find that the pipes with the 9mm pipes smoke just as fine without them, but the Brigham really benefits from the insert. Its all personal choice though, no wrong way.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
It's up to the individual smoker whether to use filters or adapters. I don't use them because they restrict the draw for me and I like my nicotine so filters are a no-no for me.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
For me, cleaning the 9mm is too messy -- with or without the adapter. Except for Brigham, I don't use filters in any of the pipes that accomodate them.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Try it with the filter, without the filter, and if you choose, with an adaptor. It only depends on your preferences. I like the adaptor on my Savinelli and Dr. Grabows to restrict the flow slightly to focus the flavor, but others like the draw wide open, and others like the filters. My only use for filters is for pipe shows, pipe clubs, or pipe shops, where you might be sampling and smoking more than usual, to tame the bite and the nicotine a little. I have one 9 mm pipe from Austria, and so far I have used the filter, just to see how it goes, which so far has been pretty good. Of course, people who sell filters want you to use a filter, a new one, every time you smoke; in their job, I would too.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
In the case of the Dr Perl 9mm filters you DO want to change them after each smoke: they do get quite wet and tarry, and as they do they start giving a plasticky taste. Balsa filters should be good for a couple of smokes or so, whereas the maple inserts in Brighams can take more smokes, and afterwards can be washed with water to take even more smokes, until they become so brown that you have to toss them.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Pure prejudice on my part, but I prefer pipes that take no extra purchases like filters, absorbent rings, stones in the bottom of the bowl, etc. I have some pipes that take filters, and I occasionally use them, but as a consumer, I don't buy them or don't use them, or only for special situations. I'd rather use that money for pipes or more likely tobacco. I like to keep the whole process as simple as possible.

techie

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2018
The first two pipes I purchased take the 9mm filters. I tried with and without a filter, and while I didn't notice any difference in taste, without a filter the draw felt much too open. Tamping too much just seemed to cause more relights (probably my inexperience). I then tried the adapter and when installed, I was unable to get the stem fully seated into the shank.
I still use these pipes with a filter, but I've since started purchasing non-filter pipes.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
I like a filter when I'm smoking aromatics. I smoke aromatics only when I think other people are going to smell it. Otherwise, in the woods alone with the dogs, I smoke non-aromatics without filters or adapters whether it is a 9mm pipe or not.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
MSO was totally right—it’s entirely your call. Your pipe, your pleasure, smoke it the way you want. Most Europeans use a filter, many Americans think that it’s more “manly” to smoke without. Silly nonsense. I use a filter in my pipes that accommodate them (e.g., my Savinelli balsa models, or my Stanwell 9mm cartridge pipes,) and I sense no diminution in the quality of the smoke. Something else: the Nording pink “rocks,” and the DENICOOL crystals. I have a few pipes that tend to smoke wet, no matter what I do, so I drop a few of these into the bottom of the bowl. Here’s what they do: first, they absorb water, and that yields a drier smoke. Second, they keep the tobacco from packing too tight, especially at the bottom of the bowl, and that ensures that I’m able to get a completely dry smoke to the very bottom, no dottle, no unpleasantness.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I have a few filter pipes. They have smoked fine without filters, but they get dirty and require more thorough cleaning than my non-filter pipes, or they will start to taste bad. So I have stopped smoking them. I want to keep this as simple as possible and I hate gizmos and gadgets and unnescessary extra maintenance.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
When I had a number of Savinelli 6mm and Winslow 9mm pipes I always smoked them without the filters or adapters. I found that if you pack more firmly they smoked great.

highwaycobbery

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 14, 2015
North cacallaky
Filters are a gimmick to make you spend more money. I used to use them in my savinelli’s but would have to chuck them half way through the bowl because they will make your pipe gurgle something fierce.

willisk

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 27, 2018
I have three that take a filter and have found that I prefer smoking without the filters.

With the filter they are quicker to gurgle and get dirtier faster. I did play around with diy filters

And found you can break a cigarette filter in thirds to reduce thickness and it works or roll up

Construction paper to thickness of filter or fold a pipe cleaner three times over end and of the three different

Methods the pipe cleaner folded is the best way but still creates way to much moisture accumulation

For me. Now I haven’t revisited this since I learned about drying tobacco out so it may be a better method

Status
Not open for further replies.