PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
In another thread Cosmic responded
And, as it gets colder I may add in a latakia or dark fired blend to compliment the colder season.
I've seen comments like this in past threads and I'd like to know why. I've been smoking latakia blends all summer.
What does the weather/temperature have to do with it? Any comments? I'd really like to know.
*Sorry Cosmic for starting this thread with your quote...hope you don't mind.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Some smokers equate blends to seasons. I just smoke what I'm in the mood for at the given moment. I have no rotations and just pick what scratches the itch.

Reactions: wadewright

erhardt85

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2017
I tend to smoke whatever strikes me as good at that moment. Though I will say there is probably some science behind certain Tobaccos being better for certain seasons. In the extreme cold the air is much drier and I'm pretty sure moisture is required for flavor to pass. Maybe that has something to do with people enjoying Latakia blends more in the winter months. I'm completely talking out of my ass here, so take this with a grain of salt. Personally, I do love Latakia blends more in the winter. I love all blends in all seasons but I do tend to gravitate towards Latakia slightly in winter. That smoky aroma isn't lost in the air then. All that said, virginia blends can burn a little hot sometimes and the ambient cold temperature can help slightly with that in the cold. In my experience there aren't many blends that ate adversely affected by extreme temperatures. In the end I wouldn't put much thought into it. I don't think there is any method in this regard, just a matter of what mood you're in at the time.

When it is around 90F in the shade, and just walking outside drenches me in sweat, smoking a latakia or dark fired blend is suffocating to me. It actually repulses me. I prefer sweeter blends in the heat or a cigar. However, as the night air cools and the leaves begin to change colors, and I have to burn off dropped limbs and leaves, latakia and dark fire appeals to me. I actually like it even better as it gets cold enough to build a fire in the fireplace, but in Alabama, that season doesn't last very long.

On the radioshow quite a while back they mentioned that sweeter aromatics and Virginias were vastly more popular worldwide, in warmer regions; whereas, in colder regions latakia is the most preferred tobacco. It sort of explains why I have never seen anyone smoking latakia in the South growing up. When I first explored the latakia blends, it was like exploring something totally alien. I had no way to relate to the flavors, except wood burning. But, of course there is always going to be outliers, people who don't fit the norm for their area. Especially in this age of internet pipe smokers, people are learning "everything" they know from the webs, and regional smoking doesn't mean anything to them.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
It's the mystery of faith. Some people don't change up based on seasons, some only smoke VaPer, some only English, etc. For me, tobacco is certainly seasonal. I am a classic poster child for latakia and dark fired in the Winter, Virginia and VaPer in the summer, maybe aromatics in the fall.

blackadderlxx

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2018
+1 to what Cosmic said - When it's really hot out the latakia blends don't taste as good to me. Right now is perfect though!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I don't mind smoking some Latakia in the Summer. Pairs well with lemonade after doing yard work.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Interesting answers...thanks. Latakia blends remind me of campfires. Later this week I'll be burning some dead branches. It's always a chore I enjoy every autumn. I'll light up a bowl of John Cotton's Smyrna or Presbyterian and enjoy it even more.

Every time I use the word "outier" when talking about forum consensus or pipesmoker consensus, Chasingembers is the one who I am thinking about, ha ha. The guy who uses his Dunhill as a planter, hates Esotericas, smokes Mixture 79 ...and likes it, uggg, and whenever we all agree on something, he will be the odd man out. That's not a criticism or even a bad thing. Duane just marches to the beat of his own drummer, ha ha.

yaddy306

Lifer
Aug 7, 2013
Regina, Canada
I associate campfires with summer, not winter, and I associate latakia with a hot country (Syria), so I have no problems enjoying lat blends in any season.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
It is no different than food. Some people enjoy a hot soup all summer long, but as the cold sets into upstate NY I find myself beginning to prepare stewed meats, soups, and the like. I don't avoid them all summer, but I don't think as often about them. I also don't tend to remember to prepare succotash or cold cucumber soup in the winter. Many people just have a natural preference toward certain flavors and experiences based on the seasonal cycle. Some, like Duane, just live in a world all their own.

yaddy306

Lifer
Aug 7, 2013
Regina, Canada
Yaddy, aren't you in Canada? Ha ha, I would have no need for lighting a fire if I camped here in the summer. That would be miserable. Actually, I don't camp in the summer. That is more of a cooler weather thing here.
Yes. Only freaks camp in winter here.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
What Chasing Embers said. I like to think it's full-strength English in the winter, and Va/Per in the warmer months, but it never happens. I honor my whim.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
I agree with crashthegrey. I guess if you lived somewhere where you don't have distinct seasons, it wouldn't make sense. But here in Ohio, everything seems to be more robust in the winter. Foods, drinks, clothing...... Cigars to me, don't taste good in the dead of winter, but on a steamy July evening they really shine. I don't eat chili in the summer........... is chili a soup?.............. :D

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
I've seen comments like this in past threads and I'd like to know why. I've been smoking latakia blends all summer.
I'm with cosmic on this one ... I do smoke lat bombs during the summer, but for some reason on a hot summer evening, not to mention day, I simply choke on a latakia heavy English. Come the cooler days, it just fits better with my taste. I am not a virginia lover, but I find myself smoking that the most during the summer days. Burley based blends come in second.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I like the food comparison. Living in Northern Illinois with distinct seasons I don't eat chili, soup, or stews in the summer...that's winter food to me. I also don't camp in the summer. Strictly spring and autumn camping when the days are cooler.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I live in Indiana where there are distinct seasons. I don't change my smoking rotation based upon season at all. However, 95% plus of my smoking is done inside so that may make a difference. I must have close to 30 tins or more open at the moment. I smoke what seems enticing at the moment.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
95% plus of my smoking is done inside so that may make a difference

Bingo! I believe this 100%. My friends who smoke inside have less of a seasonal palate.

Status
Not open for further replies.