PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

grumpybear

Lurker
Dec 30, 2017
West Columbia, S.C.
With the weather cooling off my sense of taste is leaning towards the traditional fall flavors. That is as far as food and drink goes. It got me thinking about my tobacco. Does anyone have any fall tobacco favorites? What about Christmas or winter favorites?

bluto

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2018
You guys are gonna have to guide me thru the holiday and seasonal offerings
.. any suggestions

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I've been a "smoke whatever, whenever" kind of guy. Since we don't really have much winter down here, I guess that's a fair approach. As most of my smoking is indoors, heat has not repelled me from latakia or other "traditionally cold weather" blends, either.
I'm also mostly a non-aro guy. That said, I scored an LJ Peretti assortment from a forum purchase a while ago which included some of their Thanksgiving aro blend. I'm patiently awaiting November to bust into this and will surely share my opinion with all of you, once I tackle the egg nog....
Speaking of seasonal smoking, have all of you sad sacks signed up for the Secret Santa yet? Huh? Huh?
jay-roger.jpg

skydog

Jun 27, 2017
I'm not much of a seasonal anything guy. I like my stout and other dark beers year round just like I like my VA and VA/Pers year round. I occasionally enjoy a latakia or Kentucky or burley blend but not because of any changes in weather, just when the mood strikes me.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
No seasonal preferences here either

I just smoke whatever suits my mood at the given moment. I do however bust out the Christmas Cheer for Christmas.

Jan 8, 2013
I've never let the seasons dictate what goes in my pipe at what time. I mean seriously, the seasons.... who the hell do they think they are???

davidy97

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 20, 2017
Tx
I usually open an older tin to enjoy while watching football in the garage. 15 yr old rattray tin is open right now.

Reactions: wadewright
Jun 9, 2018
England
I don't have different tobaccos for spring, summer, autumn etc. but I do for Christmas, throughout December I smoke 80% aromatics like Petersons Christmas offerings and Careys Caribbean flake, the rest of the year I only smoke aromatics occasionally. I don't know what the reason is that I seem to really enjoy aromatics around Christmas time but for some reason I do.

Chris.

jrenko

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 26, 2016
Scandinavia
If i am in the mood for latakia i smoke that, if i want straight virginia i smoke that. Never cared about what season it was i just smoke. I think that is what most people do.

blackadderlxx

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2018
This being my first year smoking pipes, I realized in the middle of last summer that my English blends didn't taste as good in the middle of a hot and humid summer day. So I started smoking Va and Burley blends more. Now that it's cooling off again, it's on like Donkey Kong. English all day...

hiplainsdrifter

Jan 8, 2012
I definitely have seasonal preferences. I exclusively smoke outdoors, and latakia blends impart more flavor in cold weather I have found. If I had an endless supply, I would smoke Yenidje Highlander from October to March, then Gawith Best Brown and Wessex Campaign through September. Aylesbury Luxury Flake for the hot summer nights.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
Because I attend a lot of family functions during the holidays, I usually reserve aromatics like C&D's Autumn Evening, Lane Limited 1Q/BCA (50-50) and Butternut Burley for those occasions. I won't be asked to leave if I smoke those blends.

Sep 18, 2015
About as far as I go with the seasonal thing is a few bowls of the holiday offerings, Petersons, K&K, Rattray’s, C&D Etc. For me these are a November- December thing, then it’s back to my normal? Blends. It typically smoke a bowl of Latakia to start the day during the week, straight Virginia on weekends, from there it’s just whatever I’m in the mood for.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
HU Director's Cut has become my go-to year round. This past summer I discovered that HU Daddy Gefftl is a nice summer/late spring aromatic. It is one I wouldn't smoke in autumn and winter though. In Autumn I've enjoyed maple aromatics like Radford's Black Maple. I suppose I mostly think of aromatics as being seasonal but I don't always smoke aromatics. Some businesses have embraced the idea of seasonal tobacco. Rattrays, for example, has "Summer Edition" and "Winter Edition" blends.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
I am a seasonal smoker. I prefer Va/VaPer flakes, but in the fall and winter I gravitate toward aged Burley flakes and Latakia and Balkan blends. I tried to not be “that guy”, but alas here I am.
Also, I prefer crumble cake and ribbon cut styles in the winter because I smoke outside and the flakes tend to be a “long” smoke. My toes get cold if I sit out longer than an hour. And that is also why I like stronger blends in the winter. You get the punch right away without having to wait.

Mar 29, 2016
Cigars, Va and Va/Pers with an occasional Latakia mixture in the Spring and Summer. Mostly Latakia mixtures, Va/Pers and stronger Virginias in the Fall and Winter. I don't smoke a lot of Burley or Kentucky but oddly the seasons don't have an impact for these tobaccos.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
My choices move towards burley, Lakeland and Latakia blends for the winter months. Through the summer I smoke primarily Virginia’s and vapers but that being said, there are no hard rules as to what I smoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.