PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dulgunz

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2015
very nice looking pipe. You will have to keep us posted on how it smokes!

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I saw that nice grain in the first picture...and I recognize this as a unique example of the Cusombuilt line.

You don't see many featuring flame grain. Not sure about the tenon/filter chamber looking area...

I wish we had gone to just straight bore pipes and not worry about anything but the proper engineering of the draw.

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
The reverse tennon is actually a patented filter system. I have a number of them. I can get a pipe cleaner through the upper and lower chambers of the shank. Bill Unger thought the system worked fine. Come to think of it i need to clean one up and try it.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Nice job on the restoration. That's a great looking little pipe. Enjoy. :puffy:

antbauers

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
Nice work! I love the look of custombilt pipes and I have to say this is among the nicest ones I've seen. They made a good decision to rusticate around that nice grain. Great balance of the two. Can't say I like reverse tenons but on this one I like that it makes this pipe more unique. Also is that a speck of red paint?

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
The Red Dot. Hmmmn. That's pretty unique too. I wonder? Hopefully it's some sort of mechanical attachment to the tenon which is metal and projects from what would normally be the mortise? Red though?...

antbauers

Jul 12, 2013
I can't imagine them going that route to keep it in place and using red. Maybe a modification or repair by the past owner. Can you see it inside the mortise?

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
The red dots are on all the filter system custombilts. Most of them with the systems are bigger pipes, at least a decent sized shank. I will have to look up the dates on these. They also had some pipes made with a little rubber removable stingers, those are pretty rare because they were easily lost, big surprise.

antbauers

Jul 12, 2013
Thanks for the enlightenment snagstangl, that's interesting. I guess it's like signature dots for that filter system that also serves a purpose. Is there a cross section on how the filter system works? Couldn't find the patent to understand what makes this one different.
@smoothsailing - I'm glad it smokes well. Hope to see the next one soon! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.