PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
It is high time we had a showcase for Custom-Bilt pipes.
This is the flagship of my small collection of Custom-Bilt pipes. I hope it qualifies as a good inaugural pipe for this thread.

buckaroo

Lifer
Sep 30, 2014
So. Cal.
Oh, that's a rare one as I've only seen 2 with the reverse tenon filter thing. I owned 1 but it was simply massive and the stem was loose on the aluminum. I almost did not think that was a c-b at first because I've never seen that type of rustication on one before. Interesting. I'll try and get some of mine up later.

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
rho-bul-1-150x112.jpg
null

Here is start, I need to take some better pictures. So how many do you want to see?

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Yes, the carving on that C-B is unusual, and part of what makes it my favorite. You have got some nice C-Bs yourself. I particularly like the top and middle specimens - great shapes.
I would be happy to see whatever C-Bs you want to photograph.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Dave, you and snagstangl have me wanting to pick up a C-B in that shape. I have long admired them, but I have yet to find one at the right price.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Buckaroo has added more temptation...
Pitchfork, If my specimen were a high dollar pipe rather than a C-B, I would question its authenticity. I do not know its age, but it has an inlaid red dot (perhaps a cap on a rod securing the metal cylinder in the shank) on one side of the shank and a stamped star on the other. I have another C-B of the same basic design (but not the same carving style), with the red dot and a crescent moon stamp.

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
I haven't seen that type of rustication but a red dot on either side and that filter style I can Guarantee it is a Custombilt.
top is an air-cool, second is a convertibole, third is a caroleer made from mountain laurel
aircool-1-150x112.jpg

convertibole-1-150x112.jpg

caroleers-1-150x112.jpg

buckaroo

Lifer
Sep 30, 2014
So. Cal.
Yeah, the cb's with the filter thing had the red dots. Here's a pic of the one I used to own. Btw, that Convertibole is great. Never owned one.
2hqrxq9.jpg

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Gents, thanks for the confirmation.
That Convertibole is a neat piece. They look like something from the Flintstones, but I have always liked them.

gtclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 3, 2013
This is fueling my Custom-Bilt lust...I just haven't gotten the urge to get in an e-bay bidding war over one yet.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
gtclark, Try searching Custombilt pipes. Those listings are sometimes for Custom-Bilt pipes, and they tend to draw far less attention (and money). Even if you find yourself buying a Custombilt pipe, you are probably getting one heck of a pipe. As buckaroo can likely attest, there is not a thing wrong with a Custombilt.

buckaroo

Lifer
Sep 30, 2014
So. Cal.
Interesting. Not one of their better carvings too. The carvings always went for $75 to $110 back a few years ago, so they always sold at a premium. Thanks for posting.
c-b vs. Cb - This has come up on other forums and I was actually slightly on the side that my newer Cb's smoked a bit better and others did not seem to notice much of a difference. It's natural to gravitate to the older is better mindframe but.

Status
Not open for further replies.