PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Crazy Horse -- one of the Chiefs present at the Battle of Little Bighorn where Colonel George Armstrong Custer was

defeated by Native Americans from several tribes -- was a pipe smoker. He was remembered as going off alone to

ponder and be alone while smoking a pipe. Crazy Horse is not known to have been photographed, although there

are a few photos that claim to be of him (not likely). Sitting Bull, in comparison, has several photo portraits.

For a great book on this whole period and the battle, see Evan S. Connell's "Son of the Morning Star, Custer at

the Little Bighorn." Custer was a general by field promotion during the Civil War, but was a Colonel when he led

the cavalry troops at Little Bighorn. Custer was at the bottom of his class at West Point, but had remarkable audacity

in battle during the Civil War. He seems to have not understood nor studied at all the culture or fighting tactics of

Indian tribes.

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
In the the book "Memories of Chief Red Cloud" he says the Indians tracked Custer and Benteen the entire way , even baiting them to split their forces. Yeah, Custer was a boob but maybe if had some Balkan Sobranie with him he could have induced the Indians to put down their weapons and share a bowl with him.. :)

virginiacob

Can't Leave
Dec 30, 2013
There was an interesting investigative documentary on the Battle of Little Bighorn on TV a few years ago. Apparently they had recently had a brush fire over the battlefield and it proved to be a godsend for archaeologists. With the ground brush burned away, the archaeologists were able to pin point the empty cartridge casings fired by both the cavalry troopers and the Indians in the exact spots where the casings fell during the battle. This allowed them to better pinpoint the actual positions of the Indians and the troopers on the battlefield as well as trace the movement of the troopers from the start of the engagement to the final minutes of the battle. You could see where the troopers started out in a well defined skirmish line but towards the end of the battle the positions of the men proved to be a chaotic massing as one would expect from the obvious panic that must have occurred towards the end. Through forensic analysis of the cartridge casings, they were even able to trace a specific cartridge to a specific carbine that survived the battle and they now know exactly where the carbine was fired and carried across the battlefield!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Connell's book has an interesting design. It sort of circles and subsumes the subject, the way the tribal aggregation

swallowed the cavalry. Since the tribes were warrior cultures, they didn't need a great deal of organization, and their

tactics didn't always proceed from the Chiefs to the warriors. There were several tribes represented, each with its own

habits and weapons, but when Custer came at them with only a third of his force and the rest standing by or not even

within call, the outcome was foreordained. Some of the Indians compared it to killing sheep. Custer didn't respect his

enemy, didn't understand it, and thought his daring would always carry the day. The tribes, on the other hand, knew

that they had won a huge victory, but also that the endless numbers of non-Indians would punish them terribly for their

win, so they moved out and split up quickly, and sensed that their victory wouldn't be cheap.

jitterbugdude

Mar 25, 2014
I've been to the battlefield three times now. It's very interesting to see the landscape. At the bottom of a huge open field is a river. This is where Custer emerged from and started up the wide, long open field. There are tombstones along the way indicating where men started to fall. At the crest of the hill is where there is a large group of tombstones. This is where the remaining men of Custer's detachment made their final stand. As these men (less than 200) crested the hill I wondered how many times they said.. "OH SHIT" because just on the other side was about 2000 armed Indians!
There is a really nice museum there. What I don't understand is why they didn't take refuge in there? It air conditioned in the summer time... :D

edgreen

Lifer
Aug 28, 2013
Tobacco was only a portion of the mixture that went into his, and many Native Americans, pipe. Different herbs and sacred plants also went into the mixture. I'll bet it was aromatic as heck. Which begs the question, why were they able to hide so well?

zzeman

Lurker
Mar 21, 2014
There is a really nice museum there. What I don't understand is why they didn't take refuge in there? It air conditioned in the summer time...
Probably for the same reason they didn't use the tank. ;)

curl

Apr 29, 2014
http://www.amazon.com/The-Heart-Everything-That-Is-ebook/dp/B00BSAZ614/ref=tmm_kin_title_0
I enjoyed this history of Red Cloud and his leadership during the early Indian wars on the western plains.

And there are are several mentions in it of Crazy Horse as a young brave.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
If the other nations would have listened to Red Cloud the outcome of the so called Indian wars may have been much different. He was a big picture thinker and probably smoked many a pipe pondering the encroachment of the white man.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Flintlockjohn said:
The battlefield is a fascinating place to visit. Once you see the ground, you can appreciate how difficult it must have been for Custer's forces to communicate and move, and how effective the Indians' tactics were. Definitely worth a visit for those interested in Western history.
I travel to South Central North Dakota every fall and along with Deadwood and Mt. Rushmore, the battlefield is on my must see list. What's a few hundred more miles, right?

rangerearthpig

Jan 5, 2014
A little boring Lakota theology lesson from an old fat guy....
If you are considering the chanupa, or "peace pipe" as non-Indians commonly call it, to be a casual pipe, you would be highly mistaken. It is the central religious item used in every single one of the Seven Sacred Rites of the Lakota.
Chanupa is actually two Lakota words combined: cha, meaning wood and nupa, meaning two. It is a two part pipe, the stem being wood, and the bowl is carved from catlinite (pipestone). The bowl, because the stem fits into it, represents everything female. The stem symbolizes all things that are male. When the two parts are joined, they symbolize the entire Universe.
Each pinch of tobacco or kinnick kinnick mixture represented a specific prayer offering. It was (and still is by traditional Lakotas) believed that as the person praying (i.e. the smoker) drew the smoke into his mouth, those prayers were entering his/her body. As the smoke is expelled, it drifts throughout the atmosphere, touching each thing that exists. Generally speaking, since air is recycled...we all breath in and exhale the same air, along with the animal and plant kingdoms... it was felt that these prayers touched each thing in Creation.
It is true that Red Cloud, Sitting Bull, Crazy Horse, Black Elk, and many other Lakota leaders smoked their pipes frequently, but they used them for prayer, religious rites, and making sworn contracts before God (Wakan Tanka).
I could elaborate, but will refrain unless there is some interest in it, as I feel like I've turned a simple thread into a cultural lesson. :lol: My apologies.
Note: I am a devout Anglo-Catholic, but grew up around Native Americans, lived near Little Big Horn, worked on a rez for several years, and spent many years studying the theology of the Plains Indians. I couldn't resist adding a couple cents.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
rangerearthpig, thanks! Interesting. Indian pipe smoking shows a distinct resemblance to Buddhist and yogic

breathing exercises -- breathe in strength, breathe out peace, and such. Focusing and centering beyond the self.

rangerearthpig

Jan 5, 2014
For what it's worth, when I posted the above trivia, I had not yet read this post: Closed Racist Pipe Horror
I certainly was not trying to stir the pot. If needed, please delete my useless pontifications in this thread. 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.