PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear fellow pipe smokers,
I recently introduced myself to pipe smoking and as you would expect, fell in love with it. A few days ago I received my second pipe, a beautiful Savinelli Bruna Liscia 616 ks, and after I read a lot about how to break it in, I started smoking it. I smoked it as slow as I could for just five times 1/3 and two times 1/2. Just a few seconds ago I discoverd what looks like a cracked drafthole or maybe a crack in the pre-carbonized layer. But it could also be a sloppy or a irregular drilled drafthole. To me it looks similar to this:

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/crack-in-my-new-pipe

But to be honest, I really don't know! And my neurosis, or let's say my love for my new pipe, is driving me crazy. Maybe and hopefully it is just that xD Is this something to be concerned of?

Greetings,

The Frying Dutchman

skaukatt

Can't Leave
It's just me and my opinion but I wouldn't worry about it. I have many that look like that some for over 30 years (and smoked often) and have had absolutely no issues whatsoever with the pipes. I would smoke the pipe and note any issues if they arise. If they do contact the seller. You could also contact Savinelli and ask their opinion you might get a reply.
http://www.savinelli.it/en/contact-us
Good luck but I doubt there's a problem here. Keep us posted.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
I have some pipes with draft holes that look like that. I have never had worse problems develop. If it does worsen, you could clean up the damaged area and apply some pipe mud.

ivapewithfire

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2014
West Virginia, USA
First welcome!
I've been smoking this for the past week without any problems:
WP_20150104_01_25_56_Pro3_zps2c69b615.jpg

I haven't seen the actual crack you are talking about, but I can't imagine it will cause a problem for you without some serious abuse.

literaryworkshop

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 10, 2014
Mobile, AL
Yeah, not a problem, really.
Think about how the geometry of a draft hole works. The very top of the intersection of the draft hole and the bottom of the bowl is thin and bound to be a little bit fragile.
800px-Tobacco_pipe_parts.svg.png

In this picture, you can see where the fragile point is, near the #3 marker. As you smoke the pipe, that thin part may char a little more than the rest of the bowl, and as you see, it may crack a little bit. Even if that little bit deteriorates entirely, the worst that happens is that the very end of the draft hole opens up just a little bit.
It's really not something to worry about, and it shouldn't affect the performance of the pipe at all.

freakiefrog

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 26, 2012
Mississippi
Briar at its core is wood. Sometimes with wood is drilled or cut there is "tear out" little fibers of the wood fray/splinter/tear. I've seen some pipes here recently that I would have thought for sure would have expoleded. But because briar is such a stable media it holds up. If it bothers you you might just want to send it back to Savanelli but me I'd smoke it and pass it on to my grandkids.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
Having charred a few pipes following the established "load partial bowls to break in" method, which IMO we (SPC) should take off our website, and having seen a fair share of lightly-smoked-but-with-charred-airways-and-bottom-of-the-chamber pipes as trade-ins, your "problem" is a direct consequence of breaking the pipe in with partial bowls. No worries though, it will cake over, but when you ream it down to the wood it might look a bit unsightly.

Status
Not open for further replies.