PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nikko

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2011
So I have smoked my new savinelli 622 six times now, starting with 1/3 rd bowls and now I have done one 1/2-2/3 bowl, and have been very careful to smoke it slow, and not once has it gotten more than a little warm when smoking, and by no means hot. But a crack developed inside the bowl by the draft hole. I know that getting a pipe cleaner into the bowl has been a bit tricky because of the angle, and it rubber the top of the draft hole where it is cracked now. Is this normal from that just being a thin piece of briar, or is my pipe doomed to an early demise? :crying: Any help would be appreciated.
P1050751.jpg

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
It's only been smoked 6 times... there is no way that's a chip in the cake. That's a crack baby.
Sorry to hear it.

nemrod

Can't Leave
Apr 28, 2011
Sweden
It's only been smoked 6 times... there is no way that's a chip in the cake. That's a crack baby.
But they have their pre-applied cake there, the black stuff. Looks to me like that's what's "cracked", not the wood, but who knows.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
I had almost the same thing happen with a new Savinelli years ago. I never figured out for sure if it was a crack or what but just kept smoking and havent had any problems from the pipe. I think nemrod is correct, and it has something to do with their bowl coating.

nikko

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2011
going to give p&c a call tomorrow, any other thoughts or suggestions on this?

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Wow, did I ever misunderstand the title of this thread. :lol:
One of my Stanwells had a blank spot inside the bowl but it was just a spot that hadn't been pre-carbed.

yuri66

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 17, 2010
Not wanting to high jack Nikko's thread, but since we are talking about cracked pipes, my wife bought me a beautiful pipe while we were assigned in Germany and it cracked on the outside of the bowl along the grain of the wood, how if any possibility is there to repair that? And yes it cracked all the way through, smoke comes through the grain on the side of the bowl.
Thanks
Yuri

clanobucklin

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 19, 2010
After purchasing pipes from Ebay for 2 years now - all I can say is - I have smoked worse! If the pipe still smokes great it shouldn't be a problem. Although - I too get bummed when a defect suddeny appears in a new pipe. If it doesn't smoke well - see if you can return it. Personally I am more concerned when I get an exterior crack or split in my bowls. I just recently tossed a Lorenzo - where the inside of the bowl simply cracked so badly that the bowls walls became almost non existent. The cracks were on all the sides of the bowl. It smoked incredibly hot and became almost impossible to hold. Pipe smoking should be a pleasure - not another episode of agita. So this Lorenzo - should be landfill about now.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I looks to me like it was drilled too fast and hit a hard spot.

You might think about using a 1/2 round and small wood gouge and cut the "split" out.

I have done that to one of my pipes with no ill effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.