Tags:  No tags yet. 

Could Use Some Advice

(16 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by metalmilitia
  • Latest reply from metalmilitia
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

metalmilitia

Login to Send PM

so i'm headed back to Afghanistan soon. i'm not sure if I will be able to transport pipes back when I return (i've seen guys try to bring hookahs and customs won't allow it if there is resin in it). anyways, i'm going to get a bag of mm seconds to take with me, but I don't know what is a good blend to take in bulk. I plan on trying lots if new blends while i'm there, and hopefully aquiring some new pipes, but any suggestions on an any season blend that can be smoked repeatedly without tiring and can be bought in bulk?

Posted 5 years ago #
  2. cobguy

cobguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sorry to hear that you're heading back. There will be lots of opinions and it really depends on what you like.
    H&H blends from Pipes and Cigars come in bulk at a good price.

Burley based Aro: Classic Burley Cake
    Outstanding VaPer: Louisiana Red
    Fantastic English / Balkan: Magnum Opus or Beverwyck

Also, can't go wrong with a nice big tub of Carter Hall or Prince Albert for a daily smoke.

Posted 5 years ago #
  3. teufelhund

teufelhund

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

+1 to Classic Burley Cake although you may want to take something that comes in a tub like Sugar Barrel.

Smoke your pipe and be silent; there's only wind and smoke in the world. - Irish Proverb
    Posted 5 years ago #
  4. tbradsim1

tbradsim1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

#1 on tub of Carter Hall, tub of Walnut, keeps almost forever, I don't know what to tell you about your deployment, mine was a long time ago, just be safe and come back home.

The Old Cajun
    Posted 5 years ago #
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

rmason

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

+1 to the CH and PA, I've really come to love these old codger blends, they require no attention and little hassle.
    ~Ron

Ron
    Posted 5 years ago #
  6. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

No pipe advice.

Ass down and head on a swivel! I am in your debt for your service, thank you!

A man without a shillelagh is a man without an expedient.
    Posted 5 years ago #
  7. ravkesef

ravkesef

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

First, and most important: thank you for your service. Come back to us safely.

During the year I spent in Vietnam, I regularly ordered pipes and tobacco from Fred Diebel and Ehrlich. When I left to come home, I left all my belongings behind except: my guitar in its case, my pipes, and about two pounds of tobacco. The dogs dutifully inspected my stash of tobacco, and I was cleared to board.

Eric
    Posted 5 years ago #
  8. petes03

petes03

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

First off, thanks for your service, and come home safely!
    As for the baccy, if you're taking cobs, Carter Hall, Sugar Barrel or Prince Albert are all great choices!

Posted 5 years ago #
  9. taerin

Eric

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I would imagine they have pipes and tobacco to choose from there, I would pick tobaccos that are not easy to come by in that area.

"The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time."
    Mark Twain
    Posted 5 years ago #
  10. yeperdo

yeperdo

Login to Send PM

Thank you for serving our country!
    I lived in West Africa for many years. I found bringing tins of Virginian flakes worked well. I was never hassled about my pipes they were always in my carry on back back.
    Be safe!

Posted 5 years ago #
  11. irish

Gary

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thank you for your service . Good luck and God speed ! You can never go wrong with good ole Prince Albert

Posted 5 years ago #
  12. judcole

Jud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sorry to hear you have to go back. Good luck and be safe.

One of the codger blends might do you well, considering your circumstances. I'd vote for Walnut. I'd also second the H&H Beverwyck.

Thought in the early morning, solace in time of woes,
    Peace in the hush of the twilight, balm ere my eyelids close
    Rudyard Kipling
    Posted 5 years ago #
  13. billbearcat

billbearcat

Login to Send PM

My last stint in Afghanistan was winter '09/'10. I had a Peterson 80s and two basket briars. I was worried about customs also, but they didn't even bat an eye at them. I also had them in my carry on. You have to remember that hookas get a bad rap from the pot crowd.

As for tobacco, take what ever is tinned up and then plenty of ziplock baggies to keep open tins in. That will help keep it fresh. Also, I would set yourself up a "care package" for someone to send over to you a soon as you get there and get a solid address, so you can have a quick resupply. Then you can order from say smokingpipes.com, 4noggins, or pipesandcigars.

As for buying anything over there, I wouldn't count on that. I don't know where you are going to be, but the Afghans where I was (Marjeh) couldn't understand that it was just tobacco in my pipe. Plus I doubt the PX will have anything, that is if you are somewhere with a PX. The PX truck definitely won't have anything.

While I was there I tried a lot of different Peterson Blends while I was there. I liked those tins because I could throw a can, in a baggy, and then in my pack for foot patrols. Also, I found that Oakley hard cases for say M Frames or Half Jackets fit a pipe, cleaners, tool, and a ziplock with a day or two worth of tobacco fits nicely when you rip out the foam.

Also, you could take some briars and then right be for you leave mail them home. Just a suggestion.

Have a good tour and return home safely.

Posted 5 years ago #
  14. sparrowhawk

sparrowhawk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Too many experienced pipers here for me to make a recommendations (although I'm surprised Lane's 1Q isn't mentioned?) but keep your head down and keep safe, soldier.

There is no beauty without some strangeness in proportion.
    Posted 5 years ago #
  15. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

Thanks for your service. Stay safe!

I find myself sitting idly on the line dividing past and future,
    as if I could kill time without injuring eternity. -- Thoreau
    Posted 5 years ago #
  16. User has not uploaded an avatar

metalmilitia

Login to Send PM

I appreciate the help everyone. especially you billbearcat. it's nice to hear from someone who has experienced the trip before. I think I'll take ur advice and set up a care package for when I get there, and just take enough to smoke for the first month

Posted 5 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   redglow, grilledokra, ashdigger, railman, alaskanpiper, sholto, anthonyrosenthal74, cigrmaster, redone, newportpipe, donjgiles, jeff540