PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
From everything I have heard, Rad is no longer making pipes. I hope he is just taking a break, but if it is true, I for one will be really sad as he is without a doubt, my favorite artisan. I own 18 of his pipes currently and have been scouring the web for anything new or used to add to my collection. I finally hit pay dirt at James Island Piper for a new Rad Davis pipe. Donald the owner is a very nice gentleman and very easy to do business with. I appreciate the fact that he answers his own phone even at 9:15pm. This is my first purchase from Don but it will certainly not be my last. So here is what may be( I sure hope it is not) the last new Rad Daavis pipe I will ever buy. The pictures are not that detailed but Don says the blast is fantastic in person and I trust his judgment implicitly.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Harris
Word around is that Rad has stopped taking commissions.
Hopefully it's just a break and not retirement. Hopefully he will show up in Chicago so we can find out.
Congrats on that very nice looking purchase

May 31, 2012
Sweet!

Such a looker, that's probably my favorite color finishes of his.

I came very close to buying that Rad a couple of weeks ago!

:P
Don is indeed a great guy and lists some incredible pipes at very reasonable prices - he just got back from Italy so I'm hoping he grabbed some good stuff!
That specific pipe is one of the P&T 2013 pipes of the year,

they have one left it looks like...

https://pipesandtobaccosmagazine.com/store/?wpsc-product=rad-davis-25-black-sandblast-with-sandblast-top

:!:

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Don is one of the good guys, you chose the pipe and vendor well!

I haven't rec'd a "new pipe available" email from Rad for maybe over a year? (or close to it)

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Imagine the relief of not having to do 'commissions'? Maybe that freedom will result in even more creativity.

I hope he's doing this of his own volition, and not because of any calamity.

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
Great pipe Harris. I finally picked up an estate Rad Davis and I must say your opinion of him is certainly warranted.

Rad rocks, and is a local artisan here. Alabama has quite a few of the best artisan pipe makers. It must be something in the water in South Alabama, besides just crude oil.
Well, I am glad he is not taking commissions. Maybe this means that I will get a chance to buy another of his designs of his own choosing. It's refreshing to see what these guys come up with on their own, without having someone else play designer games with them.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
When commissioning a pipe, I suppose the design details are left to the artist? I understand the appeal of stipulating some attributes of a pipe - the color, stem material, basic shape. But other than that, I would guess the point is to trust the artisan to to make the creative decisions? Similarly, I might go to a good seafood restaurant and order broiled shark but I'd leave the rest to the chef.
I'm just beginning to become acquainted with some of the artisans, so I'm still a long way from commissioning a pipe.But starting to lay the ground work.
Pax

hiplainsdrifter

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 8, 2012
One big plus of commissioning a pipe from a high demand artisan is that you will actually get a shot at buying it. Last time Rad listed pipes for sale on his webpage, most of them had sold in less then an hour.

elpfeife

Lifer
Dec 25, 2013
As far as the P & T magazine pipes go, I have one purchased after most were already sold. The blast isn't heavy duty. It's a fine pipe but not as good looking as the one Harris just got from James Island. But you could get lucky!

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
When commissioning a pipe, I suppose the design details are left to the artist? I understand the appeal of stipulating some attributes of a pipe - the color, stem material, basic shape. But other than that, I would guess the point is to trust the artisan to to make the creative decisions? Similarly, I might go to a good seafood restaurant and order broiled shark but I'd leave the rest to the chef.
Depends on the carver and customer and largely the communication between them. You can simply go through a carvers gallery and select a pipe adding your own specifics or, you can general get as specific as you want. Many of the more experienced carvers will tell you were the boundaries are and you'll need to work with in them if you want a pipe. It's rare in my limited experience to find a carver that will fill in the blanks and hope for the best...that tends to end when they get a pipe returned and don't get paid for their work.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Thanks for the nice comments guys, it is appreciated. From what people have told me Rad's health has not been great, so I am hoping he is on the mend and will get back to making pipes again.
In regards to commissioning a pipe, I have done 8 with Rad and everytime I just asked for a shape, a color, stem applications, size, a weight range, and of course begged him for an awesome blast, he came through everytime for me. I never asked him to create some new shape he does not do or got in the way of his artistic view of a pipe. He is the pipe maker, not me.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I've only commissioned one pipe and I was super specific on what I wanted. You can order a Corvette exactly the way you want it. To me, pipes are a similar affection.
I do hope Rad is on the mend.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I received the pipe in yesterday and I am smoking it as I type. I loaded it up with one of my favorites, Fribourg & Treyer Cut Virginia Plug and the pipe is performing brilliantly. It is smoking cool and dry and the tobacco tastes like it should. I am very happy with my new Rad and I hope it it not my last. Rad if you read this, I hope you are doing ok and that one day you will be making your wonderful pipes again.

Status
Not open for further replies.